Fireworks Safety Question

I work on the fireworks crew and us along with the fire department and special events are concerned about the increased amount of private ‘shows’ that happened this year on halloween, primarily because of the safety issues posed by these private shows. What I am wondering is what you guys in htmf land think would be the best way to get the message out about fireworks ban in town, do enough people know about it/know the reasoning. Thanks.

This is the first year I haven’t had a small show in the back yard. The kids (6, 8 and 10) really enjoy it. Besides the obvious thrill of pyrotechnics, they are also taught the basic do’s and don’ts of fireworks. The yard has small piles of dirt to embed the ordinances ( 'love that word) and there is a perimeter.
I consider myself a responsible parent and believe the earlier children are exposed to some things, the better equipped they are when they hit their teen years. At the very least, if they’re friends are acting up around some of these devices, they could be the one voice of reason. Now take this with a grain of salt, but if we, as parents, can take some of the mystery out of things such as fireworks and even firearms ( a time and a place), the kids will be better off for it.

A few years back, during one of the shows, I had a visit from a member of the local law enforcement. Once he took a look and saw we weren’t having Roman Candle fights or making Screech-a-roo bombs he was on his way.

I’ve got mixed feelings on the local bylaw regarding fireworks. I won’t state them because they’re obvious to most of the readers on this forum.

I feel that the law enforcement community is doing a great job at judgment calls on Halloween.

I think that ByLaw was brought in the 90’s and whoever introduced it saw reason for such a ByLaw .

Considering the availability of fireworks at small stores along Highway 16 it would seem unlikely that the prospect of an end to unsanctioned fireworks display is going to happen any time soon.

Try as they might the Police won’t be able to be everywhere at every time.

It is a uniquely BC kind of thing this Halloween fireworks festival, always puzzled me as to how it came to pass.

[quote=“Smurfette”]Considering the availability of fireworks at small stores along Highway 16 it would seem unlikely that the prospect of an end to unsanctioned fireworks display is going to happen any time soon.

Try as they might the Police won’t be able to be everywhere at every time.

It is a uniquely BC kind of thing this Halloween fireworks festival, always puzzled me as to how it came to pass.[/quote]

Especially because in most places, summer is the time for fireworks, not fall.

i feel it should be age restricted. responsible adults should be allowed

How are you going to police that? It’s just like underage drinking, you can’t.

I don’t like the idea of the public who may not know a thing about fireworks, shooting them off at all. Age has nothing to do with intelligence. I’d rather watch a show put on by people who know what they’re doing, and who have the capability of dealing with an accident, if it should occur.

You police it just like weed beer etc take it away slap them on the wrist. Im not saying we should use high powered fireworks like they have . There is some lighter types that are more than safe if used responibly. I grew up with fireworks just like most people a certain age its fun if used right.