Find me a better computer

when i win the lottery, this is the machine i am ordering!

secure.ncix.com/pcbuilder/index. … ormid=1000

… can you imagine a beowulf cluster of these?

pfft, only two hard drives?

the lcd would suck. the ram is way over priced for that price you could buy 2 x 2gb sitcks and have 4 gb ddr ram.

a dream system would be this…

go-l.com/desktops/index.htm

and 1 of these …

go-l.com/store/hardware/grand_canyon.htm

That’s after you build a new house that can hold 2 46inch monitors… unless you aren’t putting them in the same room. More than half that $26 grand price tag is the monitors!

Because I’m dumb, I’m asking these questions…

Why 2 video cards? Why only a $225 sound card? Why only a lanboy case? I’m sure there’s gotta be better ones out there.

Here is my dream system…

* 2.5GHz Quad-core PowerPC G5
* 16GB 533 DDR2 ECC SDRAM- 8x2GB
* 250GB Serial ATA - 7200rpm
* QUADRO FX 4500 512MB SDRAM
* Apple Cinema HD Display (30" flat panel)
* Apple Cinema HD Display (30" flat panel)
* AirPort Extreme + Bluetooth built-in
* Apple USB Modem
* 16x SuperDrive DL (DVD+R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
* Fibre Channel PCI Express Card (w/ SFP-SFP cable)
* Apple Keyboard & Mighty Mouse - U.S English
* Mac OS X - U.S. English
* Accessory kit

Subtotal $27,164.00

External FW 400 Audio sound card with proper drivers. maybe a pcm 2700 chip. and a pair of my aleph mini amplifiers @ 20watts class a with a nice pair of book shelf speakerrs…

:smiley:

[quote=“smartass”]That’s after you build a new house that can hold 2 46inch monitors… unless you aren’t putting them in the same room. More than half that $26 grand price tag is the monitors!

Because I’m dumb, I’m asking these questions…

Why 2 video cards? Why only a $225 sound card? Why only a lanboy case? I’m sure there’s gotta be better ones out there.[/quote]

2 46" lcd’s at that rez would suck…

2 video cards is for more power and sli bridging for speed…

that case it just sux… he’s retarted to buy that one…

I already bought my dream system… I posted the pics a while back they are in my gallery. It was just under 1k right now im hacking up the OS so it loads in a ramdisk off Compact flash then writes configuration changes back to the CF card. Once that is done i just have to make it so I can do full system updates through the web interface and load new “firmware” to CF and write it and I have a great firewall system/wireless hotspot/whatever I want. Did I mention load balancing and failover?

pf4freebsd.love2party.net/carp.html and of course layer 7 traffic shaping :smiley:

[quote=“jleaman”]the lcd would suck. the ram is way over priced for that price you could buy 2 x 2gb sitcks and have 4 gb ddr ram.

a dream system would be this…

go-l.com/desktops/index.htm

and 1 of these …

go-l.com/store/hardware/grand_canyon.htm[/quote]

The reason for that ram is because its the tightest timings for any ddr533 ram, making it the fastest ddr533 ram. I mean common, 3-2-2-8 on a 533 bus, that leaves tons of headroom for overclocking those optrons. Personally, I dont care for that case, but ncix is a little limited to selection. I would rather have this case with 2 of these suckers. Combined with that ram, I estimate that i could get this setup upto 3GHz easilly. The SLi bridging isnt for speed, since the video cards will be running at stock, or close to. It just provides more raw power for drawing those pixels. The video cards i would have also liked to have seen the 512mb 7800gtx, with the 850 ddr memory, and the 500mhz gpu. which is quite a big difference from the current setup of the dual 256mb 800mhz ddr, with a 450mhz gpu cards. But yet again, ncix doesnt have those for sale.

[quote]
Here is my dream system…

• 2.5GHz Quad-core PowerPC G5
  • 16GB 533 DDR2 ECC SDRAM- 8x2GB
  • 250GB Serial ATA - 7200rpm
  • QUADRO FX 4500 512MB SDRAM
  • Apple Cinema HD Display (30" flat panel)
  • Apple Cinema HD Display (30" flat panel)
  • AirPort Extreme + Bluetooth built-in
  • Apple USB Modem
  • 16x SuperDrive DL (DVD+R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
  • Fibre Channel PCI Express Card (w/ SFP-SFP cable)
  • Apple Keyboard & Mighty Mouse - U.S English
  • Mac OS X - U.S. English
  • Accessory kit

Subtotal $27,164.00 [/quote]

Do you even know what the max resolution of those 30 inch lcd’s are?.. Only 250gb of hard drive, whats the point on having the airport “EXTREME” built in… isnt that like a $4000 option with apples? Im confident that with the liqiud cooling, that the quad-core optron at 3ghz would rip that mac into pieces.

Apple 30" lcd has this.

30-inch (29.7-inch viewable)
2560 x 1600 optimal resolution
16.7 million colors
DVI Display Connector
2 port USB 2.0 Hub
2 FireWire 400 ports

and the drive’s were suppose to be…

2x500GB Serial ATA - 7200rpm

it didnt change on the side bar for some reason.

and the mac has a 512mb Video card.

[quote=“jleaman”]
and the mac has a 512mb Video card.[/quote]

OMG I HAVE MORE MEGAHURTS! THAN YOU

Bigger isnt always better no matter how much the ladies think so. Well in the case of the ladies smaller and quicker isnt very good so maybe I have no point… :laughing:

carry on.

PS its amazing how out of touch I have become with the PC building/repairing world over the past few years… but other than the new marketing terms and bigger numbers designed to impress you nothing really changes. 640K is enough for anyone!

The 512mb 7800gtx out performs the quadro fx 4500, and with 2 of them in an sli config…

quadro/7800gtx

fill rate/s: 10.8 billion/13.2billion
Memory bandwidth/s: 33.6gb/54.4gb
shader model: 3.0/4.0