Expansion in Prin......Port Edward!

Looks like some towns are all for progress!

thenorthernview.com/news/269124221.html

Growth in Port Ed is good for Prince Rupert, and vice versa. I’m glad to hear there are plans for growth in Port Ed.

Prince Rupert stands to benefit from ANY expansion in Port Edward…the Petronas LNG terminal is going to result in huge things for both communities, despite the fact that it is located in Port Ed jurisdiction.

It’d be good to see port ed taking a more business friendly approach because we all know prince rupert sure as hell wont.

I’ll be curious to see how our current mayor defends his business model this November.

[quote=“hitest”]

I’ll be curious to see how our current mayor defends his business model this November.[/quote]

Well clearly he is the most experienced at fucking things up and therefore is the best person for the job. Could you imagine if a new person came in and started fuck things up? well that would just be disastrous for prince rupert… Re-elect mayor Quimby… er whats his name again?

[quote=“jesus”]

I’ll be curious to see how our current mayor defends his business model this November.

Well clearly he is the most experienced at fucking things up and therefore is the best person for the job. Could you imagine if a new person came in and started fuck things up? well that would just be disastrous for prince rupert… Re-elect mayor Quimby… er whats his name again?[/quote]

What exactly is he doing wrong? We’re on the cusp of great things yet there’s no much negativity.

[quote]

Well clearly he is the most experienced at fucking things up and therefore is the best person for the job. Could you imagine if a new person came in and started fuck things up? well that would just be disastrous for prince rupert… Re-elect mayor Quimby… er whats his name again?[/quote]

What exactly is he doing wrong? We’re on the cusp of great things yet there’s no much negativity.
Anything you are on the cusp of is in spite of your mayor and council not because of. As for what hes doing wrong citywest and watson island come to mind. Hows that tax rate working for you? Looking forward to next years increase? What exactly is he doing right?

[quote=“jesus”]
Anything you are on the cusp of is in spite of your mayor and council not because of. As for what hes doing wrong citywest and watson island come to mind. Hows that tax rate working for you? Looking forward to next years increase? What exactly is he doing right?[/quote]

It is time for a change.

[quote=“jesus”]

[quote]

What exactly is he doing wrong? We’re on the cusp of great things yet there’s no much negativity.[/quote]

Anything you are on the cusp of is in spite of your mayor and council not because of. As for what hes doing wrong citywest and watson island come to mind. Hows that tax rate working for you? Looking forward to next years increase? What exactly is he doing right?

The Watson island problem was inherited and already quite complicated by the time our current mayor was elected into his position. And it’s funny that people can complain about the tax rate and potential development in the same breath. LNG development and possibly the sale of Watson island to a legit purchaser? How could he?

Someone’s head always has to roll. Mussallem is being blamed for the same things that the previous mayor was despite leading during a time that is about to bring us prosperity and bring down the tax rate. Change you want? Your tax rate isn’t going down unless revenue to the city increases. Tell me, what candidate is most likely to have a hand in an increase to municipal revenue?

Youre blaming his precessors for him choosing to sit on a multi million dollar asset while city i frastructure crumbles? Its their fault the city pulled the deal to sell watson island at the last minute costing the city how much again? Oh and the cleanup will cost the city how much if the time bomb goes off while its still on the cities watch? You must be a friend or relative. Im not saying the guys a total fuckup but i havent heard or read about a single wise decision coming from city hall. Care to name any?

Sure.

1. Expansion of municipal boundaries. It’s a proactive approach to things like protecting out water supply and to increase the tax roll with much needed space for industrial development which his not on Port lands.

2. Lobbying for increased accountability to the SQCRD regarding costs and attempting to reduce Rupert’s responsibility to financially support the smaller communities within the RD.

3. Suggesting the alternate approval process rather than having necessary infrastructure improvements bogged down in expensive and unnecessary debates and referendums.

4. The evidence I’ve seen suggests that the failure of the sale of Watson island to WATCO was no fault of the municipality and the current deal is in the best interest of the City.

5. Lobbying for an increase to the PILT.

6. Holding the Port, CN and Pinnacle Pellet accountable for the promises that they have made.

7. Encouraging and promoting business and development within the City.

8. Pushing for more from the highway of tears investigation.

There’s 8 off the top of my head. I’m not related to Jack but I do know him as many people do. After all, his family has been here for generations. His experience as a municipal employee, his political background and the fact that his family has invested in the community since the beginning still make him the ideal candidate. Lee Brain may be a nice guy but nice guys don’t pay the bills.

What evidence is that?

What price has been agreed with WILNG, what conditions is the offer subject to, and how firm is the offer? Are they matching or exceeding the $2 million that WatCo paid towards maintenance costs? Or are they paying nothing?

Who is WILNG? It’s ownership is obscure to say the least and it has no track record at all (unlike Petronas, BG, Woodside, Imperial). Is it a front company, and if so for who and why the secrecy?

The Mayor says that WILNG had “the best plan”, but that planning has yet to determine whether an LNG carrier can even navigate Porpoise Harbour. It doesn’t sound like much research has gone into the idea of a “small LNG plant” on Watson Island, even leaving aside the question of how many LNG plants there will be on the North Coast (maybe there won’t be any). Diversifying into another industry may have been a wise decision.

WILNG has until the end of the year to complete due diligence. If they conclude that it is not viable, do they just walk away while the City continues to pay $50K a month according to latest estimates?

There’s a good op-ed on these issues in Northern View < thenorthernview.com/opinion/268131072.html > and an interesting comment by a Korean business representative at the bottom that is also worth reading.

I’m not able to upload the WatCo court filings to htmf, but if you or others would like copies if you provide an email address I’ll send them to you (it may take a few days before I get to it).

The court filings are the closest that we have to “evidence” at this point. As you rightly say, Watson Island was a complicated issue before the current Mayor took over, but it is more complicated today. The court case is not going to be a cake walk for the City. There should be serious concern about how the City handled that issue.

It might be a good idea to read that information before presenting Watson Island as a favourable example of how the Mayor conducts business.

The information that has been made public is out there. Aside from that, I’m not at liberty to discuss what evidence I have seen. I am not directly involved but I do have connections who have shared some inside information. That’s really all I can say. In the meantime, please be patient and don’t jump to conclusions. I’m confident that when this is all said and done that we will agree that this deal with WILNG and the direction taken was in the best interest of the City.

[quote=“Crazy Train”]

The information that has been made public is out there. Aside from that, I’m not at liberty to discuss what evidence I have seen. I am not directly involved but I do have connections who have shared some inside information. [/quote]

That does not speak well about how the City under its’ current Mayor conducts itself.

[quote=“BTravenn”]

[quote=“Crazy Train”]

The information that has been made public is out there. Aside from that, I’m not at liberty to discuss what evidence I have seen. I am not directly involved but I do have connections who have shared some inside information. [/quote]

That does not speak well about how the City under its’ current Mayor conducts itself.[/quote]

You don’t know who or how I’m connected to them or what I know so it’s quite unfair to pass judgement and make assumptions. The only reason that I say anything at all is to inject some positivity into a forum that is consistently negative. Not everything is as it seems to the many armchair quarterbacks that social media has seemingly spawned.

[quote=“Crazy Train”]

[quote=“BTravenn”]

That does not speak well about how the City under its’ current Mayor conducts itself.

You don’t know who or how I’m connected to them or what I know so it’s quite unfair to pass judgement and make assumptions. [/quote]

Your comments are very interesting. There are laws around disclosure and use of what by your own admission is “inside information”, particularly when public bodies are involved and have used their statutory powers to restrict information. The OmniTRAX saga a few years ago was a case in point.

[quote=“BTravenn”]

[quote=“Crazy Train”]

That does not speak well about how the City under its’ current Mayor conducts itself.[/quote]

You don’t know who or how I’m connected to them or what I know so it’s quite unfair to pass judgement and make assumptions.

Your comments are very interesting. There are laws around disclosure and use of what by your own admission is “inside information”, particularly when public bodies are involved and have used their statutory powers to restrict information. The OmniTRAX saga a few years ago was a case in point.

Like I said before, I’m not directly involved so those that I am connected to could be blowing smoke up my ass for all I know. With that said, feel free to carry on with your negative spin towards our elected officials and the decisions that that make in an attempt to rectify the problems that they all inherited, with the exception of Nelson Kinney, all while fueling cynicism and despair rather than hope and promise. I give up.

[quote=“Crazy Train”]
Like I said before, I’m not directly involved so those that I am connected to could be blowing smoke up my ass for all I know. With that said, feel free to carry on with your negative spin towards our elected officials and the decisions that that make in an attempt to rectify the problems that they all inherited, with the exception of Nelson Kinney, all while fueling cynicism and despair rather than hope and promise. I give up.[/quote]

You’re the one that let the cat out of the bag. I wonder who else has received “inside information” about WatCo and WILNG that for whatever reasons the current Mayor and council prefer not to share with the public?

Edit: According to this article in North Coast Review, terminating the WatCo exclusivity agreement in February has cost the City $475,000 in lost revenue so far. The CFO reports that the City is still looking for ways to offset the decline in revenue. The implication is that WILNG is either not contributing to monthly maintenance costs or is paying much less than what WatCo paid for about two years. < northcoastreview.blogspot.ca/201 … ility.html >.

So uhh this inside information did you get it before or after the city decided not to sell to watco? Are their lips just as lose when it comes to all city contracts? Seems to me if you know the right people you Can get an inside track on various city dealings.

I wouldnt go as far as saying your information was illegally passed on but it should definitely be investigated unless of course youre full of shit.