Election?

Just remember, people, the “Conservative party” is not the same Tories some of your parents supported all those years. So different are they that Joe Clark, one of the most virtuous leaders this country has ever had, and a former Tory who was always attacking the Liberals, couldn’t support them last election.

The majority of them are still, basically, the Alliance, aka white, right wing Christian fundamentalists; you know, like the Republicans next door? They didn’t fight the gun registry because it costs so much money (which was definitely Liberal mismanagement); they’re rednecks who think every idiot should be able to have a shootin’ gun without any rules!

They would strike down gay marriages, stop the decriminalization of marijuana, trample on Aboriginals and other minorities, and put our soldiers in Iraq.

Yeah, it’s true the Liberals stole our tax dollars and lined their own pockets like thieves but, uh, how does that make them any different from any other political party? They just got caught! Anyway, it was just the Liberals in Quebec, where they are desperately trying to get the Bloc out, which would be a good thing.

On that note, how can the Bloc be a federal party?? That’s a crock! They hold significant power over federal decisions yet they only represent Quebec and want to separate. They should have to run candidates in every riding in Canada. Oh yeah, and these are the guys the Conservatives are in bed with!

I strongly agree with this point. A couple of elections ago, the west (Manitoba-West) was almost swept by Reform except for three seats. The Bloc still had enough seats in just Quebec to become offical opposition. I can’t understand how a non-national party can end up as the offical oppostion. It made me realize just how vulnerable and powerless Western Canada could be. A party should require a candidate in every province so they are at least making an effort at equal representation.

Strongly disagree. You can’t compare these guys to the Bush administration and other Republicans/Christian fundamentalists like Pat Robertson. Its just not a fair comparison. They aren’t Texas rednecks. They aren’t out to rule the world or to shove our democratic ways down the throats of other nations. Nor do they desire to take control of the worlds oil supplies by force.

Although I am not Christian, I as many others , like to use Christian fundamantals as a way of guiding myself and my family through our lives. To me it’s just like a basic set of rules to use as a guide. I don’t have an issue with gay relationships but am against marriage as it is defined now being changed. A legal union for them, sure, but marriage I beleive, as it is defined, should remain the same. I do respect the opinions of others but this is my position.

The Conservatives have been fighting the Gun Registry every step of the way. Laytons NDP supported a motion earlier this year to provide another $70 million to the Registry. Supported something that they didnt believe in to keep Parliament running and yet six months later they are supporting a non-confidence motion. Should have done it six months ago and saved us $70 mill.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/39th_Canad … l_election

I’d like to know where Harper got his figures from when he said that if they came to power that they would reduce the GST by 1%. And by doing so, it would save a family earning 60k/year $400?

I will not, would not vote tory. Harper is a wooden, no emotion, unfeeling robot.

Liberals, well they are pigs at the trough, no doubt, but they have managed to keep the gov’t going, though there are things I dont like about them. For one keeping the damn aging Seaking heli’s in operation when we have needed new heli’s for years and years.

Layton is so well educated and comes across as a very smart man. Smarter than Harper and Martin. Cullen is a cool guy with some good ideas and not afraid to stand up in the House.

Also if any politicians, or wanna-be politicians read this…I have one challenge for you and your speech/script writers…and thats for you not to use the old, tired cliche… “As we move forward” or “as we go forward” or “lets move forward” and few dozen variations on that theme.

I am sick to freakin’ death of that. Come up with something original and catchy. Gordo Campbell is a master of the “lets move forward” theme.

I’d be happy to pay $400 to not have a conservative government.

Lets insitute a flat tax rate.

Stop calling them the Conservative party. They are the Reform Party.

And a flat earth society while we’re at it!

You’re right about not being your parent’s Tory party. They were the ones that brought in the GST and touted it’s benefits. The Liberals were ‘tax and spend’ misfits.
Now the Libs want to reduce income tax and leave the GST alone, the Tories want to lower their own baby the GST. Martin handled the budget well, eliminated the deficit, paid down the debt, fired and banned all the people named in the scandal. Everything Tories promised… It’s all ass-backwards.

1. you can choose how much GST you pay. $800 for a Neon or $6000 for a Mercedes. $1.40 for Fields jeans or $14.00 for designer jeans. If you save your money instead of spend it, it doesn’t get taxed.
  2. Income tax is ‘progressive’, it’s a tax on what you earn. The harder you work, the better you are at what you do, the more you pay. The bulk of the money collected is from workers.

These are conflicting statements

It all gets taxed even before it hits your bank account.

I can’t see how spending more than $1 Billion on a gun registry is handling a budget well.

The incident that started the gun control phenomenon in this country was a weapon that was already illegal under the laws of the time. Laws don’t prevent crime. They just make more criminals. Now your average family man that hunts to feed his family is a criminal if his gun isn’t registered. About 80% of firearm related deaths are suicide. No gun law is going to stop someone who is suicidal from doing himself in. What makes a crime?? The weapon or the criminal?? Gun laws didnt stop the RCMP members from being killed in Mayerthorpe last winter. I can’t see how a billion dollar waste can be so easily forgivable.

When it comes to taxes, whatever party ends up in power, I hope that I have more money in my pocket soon. For someone that will make about $50,000 this year I will have paid about $20,000 in property tax, income tax, land transfer tax, EI and CPP. This doesn’t include GST or PST, gas tax, liquor tax or any other hidden taxes out there. Thats almost 50%. Way too much for my liking.

Same person is running for the Green Party