Election results available at

[quote=“jamesbrown”]

[quote=“Crazy Train”]To Lee Brain:

Please don’t stiffle industrial development by focusing on a fear based, environmentally focused mandate. We need increased tax revenue. Blame that on previous councils for spending money they didn’t have and for not adequately planning. The world is at our doorstep. Keep the door open. I’m one of apparently few that are worried about you. Please prove me wrong.

What are we thinking when we vote AnnaA out of office?[/quote]

I think a lot of us want the environment kept in check in these projects we want work but not at any cost to the environment Lee will keep this stuff in check[/quote]

There are processes in place like environmental assessments to manage that. We need to pay for $250+ of infrastructure work, including sewage treatment so that everything we flush doesn’t go directly into the Pacific. Isn’t that good for the environment?

[quote=“Crazy Train”]

I think a lot of us want the environment kept in check in these projects we want work but not at any cost to the environment Lee will keep this stuff in check

There are processes in place like environmental assessments to manage that. We need to pay for $250+ of infrastructure work, including sewage treatment so that everything we flush doesn’t go directly into the Pacific. Isn’t that good for the environment?[/quote]

Apparently 58.12 % of the turnout believe Lee can do it he will insure some of the profits go to create clean energy… the youth of today need long term sustainable development … and have made the difference in this vote Jack was a very distant 2nd

I’m actually surprised Lee got a substantial ballot count over Jack.

Way to go Brain!

This one’s also surprising. Never thought she would lose her seat.

[quote=“jamesbrown”]

Apparently 58.12 % of the turnout believe Lee can do it he will insure some of the profits go to create clean energy… the youth of today need long term sustainable development … and have made the difference in this vote Jack was a very distant 2nd[/quote]

That only means he ran a great campaign. The BC Liberals ran a great campaign in 2001 and then did a lot of things they said they wouldn’t. Only, Lee Brain has been vocal in his stance against some industry and that worries me. Not that he cares about the environment, we all care about it, but that he will move to stiffle development using the environment as his reason. We have been suffering too long and now that everything is about to happen, 58% want to change course.

We are not going to fix all of our problems with residential and small business taxation. But now we have instantly turned over the majority of our Council seats to those with no experience or background in anything that is going on. This should be fun to watch.

[quote=“PLA”]

I’m actually surprised Lee got a substantial ballot count over Jack.

Way to go Brain!

This one’s also surprising. Never thought she would lose her seat.[/quote]

How about Port Ed??

thenorthernview.com/news/282847611.html

[quote=“Crazy Train”]

[quote=“jamesbrown”]

Apparently 58.12 % of the turnout believe Lee can do it he will insure some of the profits go to create clean energy… the youth of today need long term sustainable development … and have made the difference in this vote Jack was a very distant 2nd[/quote]

That only means he ran a great campaign. The BC Liberals ran a great campaign in 2001 and then did a lot of things they said they wouldn’t. Only, Lee Brain has been vocal in his stance against some industry and that worries me. Not that he cares about the environment, we all care about it, but that he will move to stiffle development using the environment as his reason. We have been suffering too long and now that everything is about to happen, 58% want to change course.

We are not going to fix all of our problems with residential and small business taxation. But now we have instantly turned over the majority of our Council seats to those with no experience or background in anything that is going on. This should be fun to watch.[/quote]

With all Jack’s experience he will find something to do… I dont get why people like you think experience is all that counts so glad for Lee my shock was Anna gone but oh well

[quote=“jamesbrown”]

How about Port Ed??

thenorthernview.com/news/282847611.html[/quote]

Never paid attention to them… :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote=“jamesbrown”]

[quote=“Crazy Train”]

We are not going to fix all of our problems with residential and small business taxation. But now we have instantly turned over the majority of our Council seats to those with no experience or background in anything that is going on. This should be fun to watch.

With all Jack’s experience he will find something to do… I dont get why people like you think experience is all that counts so glad for Lee my shock was Anna gone but oh well[/quote]

Experience isn’t all that counts. I’m not at all pleased that Joy or Nelson got back in either. But we now have two of seven that are reasonably experienced. I’m not including Barry because he’s quite new himself. I feel bad for city hall staff that are already having trouble keeping up with the demand and inquiries for activity in Rupert. Now they have almost an entire Council to train and bring up to speed on everything that’s going on.

With all of these promises for increased transparency, when can we expect the first update on Watson island?

Congratulations to all tonight’s successful candidates. I will hold my judgement until I receive my property tax bill this summer.

I’m going to end this evening’s rant with a trip down memory lane courtesy of former mayor, Herb Pond.

“This is my plug for continuity on Council, because that’s the best shot we have of really getting the economy fired up quickly, and a vibrant economy is the only sure way I know to grow health, education and City services. Regardless of what people say, it takes a new Councillor about 12-18 months to truly get up to speed. A new Mayor even longer, and a new Mayor without experience on Prince Rupert Council and only working part-time, will be hood-winked by everybody for at least two years.
Like it or not, this Council and Mayor are well known to all the key people on every project (China Paper, Maher Terminals, CN, RoyOp, etc) currently underway. We’re trusted, and many of these investors are here because of that trust and the invitations that we personally extended.
One or two new Councillors would be welcomed and brought up to speed by the group. Fresh ideas, energy and perspective are healthy. But with three or four new faces, the lack of depth will dominate and slow everything right down. I’ve seen it happen. It would be tragic to slow down now.”

www2.citytel.net/~nivlact/On%20t … l%20hp.pdf

[quote=“Crazy Train”]I’m going to end this evening’s rant with a trip down memory lane courtesy of former mayor, Herb Pond.

“This is my plug for continuity on Council, because that’s the best shot we have of really getting the economy fired up quickly, and a vibrant economy is the only sure way I know to grow health, education and City services. Regardless of what people say, it takes a new Councillor about 12-18 months to truly get up to speed. A new Mayor even longer, and a new Mayor without experience on Prince Rupert Council and only working part-time, will be hood-winked by everybody for at least two years.
Like it or not, this Council and Mayor are well known to all the key people on every project (China Paper, Maher Terminals, CN, RoyOp, etc) currently underway. We’re trusted, and many of these investors are here because of that trust and the invitations that we personally extended.
One or two new Councillors would be welcomed and brought up to speed by the group. Fresh ideas, energy and perspective are healthy. But with three or four new faces, the lack of depth will dominate and slow everything right down. I’ve seen it happen. It would be tragic to slow down now.”

www2.citytel.net/~nivlact/On%20t … l%20hp.pdf[/quote]

give the guy time he’s only just been elected and must have the highest count ever lol

Good thing he didn’t have to run against Pete Lester. The man buried more time for change bodies than a gravedigger. That was when Rupert had in the neighborhood of 20,000 residents, and his totals were in the 70% range. He served for close to 35 years and came close to being the longest serving mayor in Canada.

Best part, and a bit surprising - Pain got the smallest number of votes of all the candidates!! Bet she never saw that coming!!

Crazy Train. You seem quite put out that we have a New Mayor. I have to agree with
James Brown in suggesting that maybe a day or two’s grace be given before going
at the new elected council with Guns a Blazin’.
I believe that those who think that Mr.Brain is going to paint our island green and
deter all forms of investment from coming near might be pleasantly surprised.
Speaking with Mr Brain I have concluded that while stepping up to protect the
environment is important, bringing Investment Capital and Creating Jobs in our
city is really needed, so a balance must exist.
There was a Big Turnout at the Polls. There were over 1000 “new voters” who voted today.
Its obvious by the spread on the votes that the people wanted Mr Brain to take the helm,
and guide this ship on its proper course.
Congratulations to Winners Tonight!
Just My Opinion.

[quote=“woodnfood”]Crazy Train. You seem quite put out that we have a New Mayor.
I believe that those who think that Mr.Brain is going to paint our island green and
deter all forms of investment from coming near might be pleasantly surprised.
Speaking with Mr Brain I have concluded that while stepping up to protect the
environment is important, bringing Investment Capital and Creating Jobs in our
city is really needed, so a balance must exist.[/quote]

If that’s the case and all of this development does happen, I hope that everyone recognizes and gives credit to the mayor who just spent the past two terms putting it all together.

Congrats to Lee and not everyone wants all the mess that comes with the proposed development. There is reason why it’s proposed. LNG is years and years away. And if you think our last mayor put it all together you are sadly mistaken…

Yeah, I found that upsetting as well. Anna was an exceptional councilor. Thanks for your service, Anna!

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to take a moment and say thanks to everyone who has supported me over the past two terms. It really has been an honour to have served on council on behalf of the city of Prince Rupert. I also want to say congratulations to all the newly elected and re-elected councillors, the new mayor and the newly elected and re-elected school board trustees.

I wish you all the very best of luck over the next term. You will be faced with challenges, criticism and hard decisions, but I know that if you work together, and show the enthusiasm you showed during the campaign that you will succeed.

I also wanted to thank everyone for getting out and voting. Having an almost 15% increase in voter turnout is incredible and I really hope that this is a sign of people starting to become more engaged and interested in local government because I honestly believe that to be successful we need more people sharing their ideas with council members so that they have the very best information to help them make their decisions.

Sincerely,

Anna Ashley

So I suppose if your screen namesake had run we’d get the same snarky comment, because he went into the synagogue and beat the crap out of people. Maybe at the next election you can run and we can then examine your pristine life. I think Tony knew what he was going to be up against if he ran and he had the courage to run because he believed he had something to contribute, that’s called courage. Maybe thats what we need now is a mayor with teeth.

Our long time member jesus does enjoy trolling our forums. You took the bait. Hook, line, and sinker. Yes. Tony knew the risks going into the campaign; he knew that his past would be used against him in the campaign. All is fair in love, war, and politics. Politics is a blood sport.