Election issues

I went to the all candidates forum my list

Mayor: Pond

has awesome plans for future of city, working towards thriving downtown, more houses, pulp mill find out in 4-6 weeks if it is coming back. Cowbay has grown in the last three years, Cruise ship…He is really passionate about Rupert

Councellors

Mitch Meyers
Sheila Gordon-Payne

still have not decided on

Mario Castelli
Marty Bowles
Steve Fitzppatrick
Erika Rolston
Brenda Cook
Joy Thorkleson

Definate no’s
Briglio and Rudolph

The rest I don’t know about

What are you talking about? Tony said horsepower, everyone’s voting for him!

Hurb has my vote, Gloria is the devil she does not want our city to grow and prosper she starts out a answser with “I” and not with “what the people want”. its “I dont want a big box store here in rupert”, Piss on you people. go to terrace and shop
"I want this town to be a boutique town." I dont want to see the town grow, i dont care that young people or people with out education cant find work…Puke…

as for the rest of them Im unsure about i have talked to a few but as soon as i hear “I think, I dont want” they dont get my vote, couse its not about the “I” Its about the “me” and the “you’s”…

and yes I had a few drinks before writing this post…lol

Herb Pond is a Show Man, does know how to talk but speaks with fork tongue is backed by many forked tongues. Gloria is new at this but means well a little nervous. Mitch is young and he answered questions with no problems, he is willing to get into it with the big boys. I say yes for Mitch.

I had both come to my Political Science class

Herb was a great head man, he talked about his trip to China, what the people want for this city, Charles Hays idea, big box stores, Cruise ship, tourism, he said that he wants three more years to help the economy of his favorite place. He sees a great future for Rupert. we find out if pulp mills coming back in 4-6 weeks Herb is a good persuader.

Gloria came in and talked about how Herb didn’t keep his promise to lower taxes and she will not make this promise. She didn’t say what she wold do to benefit the town just that she was angry. She said she wanted people to vote for decisions made at city hall and not just there representatives. She said we should have put off the cruise ship for 2 years…which in my opinion is awesome for Rupert and would have not happened if we had waited. She said Big Box stores have already been voted in so she couldn’t change it anyway.

So I guess I’m voting for Herb because I don’t want someone who puts things off and I want someone who gets things done and will be a good mayor for our city when he travels on behalf of us. Persuasive people are important when it comes to reasoning with China…etc

well anyway that’s my speal

it’s just important you vote even if it is not for Pond

Oh yah and vote Mitch

Mitch has my vote for sure… Im not sure of about 80% of the candidates… Most of them mean well, but will end up doing far more damage in the long run, than good. Gloria is the devil for sure, and personally I don’t think shes got what it takes for the mayoral position. Herb knows what going on with the millions of things on the agenda right now, and if you scrap him for Gloria, things will start going downhill in this town, seeing how Gloria isnt as passionate about Prince Rupert like Pond is. Lothar is the biggest joke to run, for as long as i can recall. The last thing we need is that pot smoking hippi in office making decisions for the better of Prince Rupert. Lothar quote from the all candidate meeting: “Ok, then, uhhh, Ok, uhhh, Ok, and uhhh, Yes!, and uh ok…”. What do you think of the drug problem in rupert and what should we do about it? “Uhhhh… We should find out who it is and hang them… but we cant do that because the law says so…” That guy just cracks me up.

Just so you know, Lothar has a mental illness. There is no way he could function as a councilor. He is in basically in the same boat as Larry Wong and truly believes there are evil forces (city hall, RCMP, social services) secretly allying against him. I feel sorry for the guy and wish whoever makes up his support group would have steered him away from attempting to get a seat on council.

Yup he does have asburger syndrome. I don’t think anyone expects him to win I think he just wants his voice heard. He wants people like him to have equal treatment and not be laughed at. He means well. Some views were scary but you can definately see where a poor guy sits on the scale in a “democracy” as he said compared to someone like Briglio. It really puts things into perspective. We may not want him on council but do we want to help people like him?

I’m not sure what Mitch’s position on big box stores is but it doesn’t matter because the current council has already decided big box stores are going up and the next council can’t change that

Well put. The sad truth is that poor people do not have a voice at all and when most of us vote, it will be for someone of affluence, be they a business or labor leader. My point was that Lothar could not possibly carry out the responsibilities of a councilor with his condition. Does he deserve to be heard? You bet.

In theory, I’d have no problem at all voting for a “poor person” if they had the skills to carry out the job. The problem is that they generally don’t have those skills and even if they did they wouldn’t have access to any way to let people know that they do.

As for Lothar… If all he gets out of this is that he had his voice heard, then that’s a good thing. I found no problem whatsoever with him running. The fact that anyone can run for public office is a great freedom we all enjoy and shouldn’t take for granted.

Mike

[quote=“poolboy”]

Just so you know, Lothar has a mental illness. There is no way he could function as a councilor. He is in basically in the same boat as Larry Wong and truly believes there are evil forces (city hall, RCMP, social services) secretly allying against him. I feel sorry for the guy and wish whoever makes up his support group would have steered him away from attempting to get a seat on council.[/quote]

A self diagnosed mental illness. He has even told me this personally. If he is anything he’s a hypochondriac, because when I’ve had conversations with the guy he started listing off the “deseases” he truly thought he had.

[quote=“Delirious”]

Just so you know, Lothar has a mental illness. There is no way he could function as a councilor. He is in basically in the same boat as Larry Wong and truly believes there are evil forces (city hall, RCMP, social services) secretly allying against him. I feel sorry for the guy and wish whoever makes up his support group would have steered him away from attempting to get a seat on council.

A self diagnosed mental illness. He has even told me this personally. If he is anything he’s a hypochondriac, because when I’ve had conversations with the guy he started listing off the “deseases” he truly thought he had.[/quote]

Lothar says different things to different people; to you, it’s a slew of illnesses, to me (and lots of other people) it’s conspiracy theories. That’s what mentally ill people do. If you think he’s just a “pot-smoking hippie,” you’re not only terribly insensitive but you’re not paying attention.

Wasn’t lothar banned from HTMF a little while back?

The current council is working towards bringing big box stores into Rupert but it is not done yet. There is still a final reading to be done and approval from the Ministry of Highways. I’m a little interested how this may play out if a new council has the final say on this project.

As for Mitch Myers, I really feel that it does matter despite what the current council is doing. I personally want a council that is going to promote retail development even after this project is completed. If this council opens the door and the next one shuts it again I believe that this would be a detriment to our community.

I have nothing but respect for Lothar. Any man, who with his condition, that can put himself out in the public eye to be observed is a brave person who deserves a pat on the back. I’m not voting for him but that is not anything against his character, its just that there are some great candidates to choose from.

Speaking with Mitch the other day, he seems like he wants what is good for our community of Rupert, he is young new blood, new fresh ideas, I believe that he wants a council that he can work with. We must remember that it is up to council to work as a team. Big box , little box there are many serious issues facing whoever we elect.

Mitch is a good guy - he’s got a lot of fresh ideas. If he does get in, I hope he doesn’t get railroaded.

Speaking of which, I need to call him and remind him to drop by to yak. Busy politician and such.

Yeah well tell him that I am still waiting for my call.

It does matter what council members want because what the want will be their first priority. I don’t know what Mitch thinks about Big Box stores but I still think it is good to have a younger voice on council

Harbour Theatre is holding its “So You Wanna Be A Councilor” show tonight at the Tom Rooney Playhouse. If it’s anything like the one they held years ago at the curling rink, it should be a hoot! Mr. Condomhead (aka Ron “Bugsy” Watson") ending up winning.