E Books

Just wasted a couple hours on the iPad looking at the bookstore.
Not paying those proces for best sellers. Just read a Reacher novel I got at costco for $6 and saw it for $14.99. Read Life of Pi many years ago, couldn’t have paid more than 1/2 what they’re asking on there. Really disgusted with the whole concept now.
I was thinking of a way to create an online used bookstore. Give or sell your ebook to someone else, just the one person the one copy. Or trade them. And look what I ran into:
motherboard.vice.com/blog/used-e … publishers

[quote=“herbie_popnecker”]Just wasted a couple hours on the iPad looking at the bookstore.
Not paying those proces for best sellers. Just read a Reacher novel I got at costco for $6 and saw it for $14.99. Read Life of Pi many years ago, couldn’t have paid more than 1/2 what they’re asking on there. Really disgusted with the whole concept now.
I was thinking of a way to create an online used bookstore. Give or sell your ebook to someone else, just the one person the one copy. Or trade them. And look what I ran into:
motherboard.vice.com/blog/used-e … publishers[/quote]

Great idea! I’ve got a kobo and would be open to getting e-books at a more reasonable price.

Most libraries also have apps or systems to lend you e-books. I know the one in Terrace does, and I’m sure the Prince Rupert one must as well.

In my job we do a lot of electronic text stuff, usually for books that we already physically own. Luckily the copyright law has exemptions, and we generally just scan and OCR stuff. Good publishers actually give us the PDFs for free as well, so we can use them on our web app and iPad app.

I still prefer a book to my Kobo, but I use my Kobo to get books that are not available in the Rupert library. I am not sure if the program works with Kindle or IPads. I bought my Kobo last fall and I have read at least 10 current books with it and I have yet to pay a cent. I agree with you on the pricing. I saw a book in an airport bookstore and when I checked it for my Kobo it was the same price. Why would I buy a virtual book when I can buy the real one at the same price that I can lend to friends, trade in, and/or donate to libraries or charity stores.

Some books you can download right away; others you put on hold. I have waited up to a week for a book I wanted but there are other books real or virtual that I can be reading in the meantime.