Dual Processor Apple VS. Dual Core Athlon

I was just playing around on apple.com, and ncix.com and built performance machines. Everything was maxed out on the apple except for it had only 4 gigabytes of ram, since the athlon only has 4 gigs as well. Anyway, take a look:
Apple - $7,899 USD
http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/71308/wo/CD484L3NyNE13KehgcFKKjpZMBX/5.0.11.1.0.6.3

ncix performance box - $7,604.32 CAD
http://secure.ncix.com/pcbuilder/index.php?action=getprice&id=2084570&platformid=1000

Now, it’d be interesting to see what kinda performance we’ll see outta these machines, since the athlon will be running on XP64 to enhance the 64 bit processors’ capability. Sure the apple can have upto 8 gigs of ram, but in all seriousness who the hell can even put all that memory to use. I can’t wait to see the athlon dual core perform on the 64bit platform, since so far all the benchmarks are done in a 32 bit environment, giving the apple the advantage so far. Aparently athlon FX 57 is going to blow any single core processor out of the water when it is released. As far as gaming goes, intel has a broken leg to heal.

Only 4 gigs of ram, bah.

I don’t know if it’s more CPU or more RAM I need, but Photoshop CS2 is incredibly slow on this box… AMD 2.2GHz XP+/1024MB@200MHz. Swap file is a gig on a seperate drive too.

Im sure with the new apple/ intel it will beat the amd when it is 64 bit with the 64bit os… Windows is still 32 and far off it’s release date osx on the other hand is not that far away…

i’m sure AMD will respond quickly with one that beats the shit out of Intel. they always have. I use an AthlonXP 2500 at work and some shrubbie used the demo Ath64 3200 to burn CDs. He copied & burned 5 in the time I did 2. Same OS, both 1 Gig RAM, same burner & CD…
The Ath64 3.2s in the server room smoke running Fedora3 64bit. They make the Gentoo Athlon 2500 seem slow. Make the Red Hat quad zeon 700 look lame…

I am in the middle of buying a workstation for my other night time job monitoring pc’s from remote admin programs and checking on server backup’s and other stuff that is important. I was going to buy a 64athlon but instead ill go with the dell Workstation with dual 2.0Gig Zeon’s… with the 36gig 10k scsi. I don’t need all this power but for 1000$ canadian ill take one with dual monitor’s…