Dog Park

well I suppose if someone were foolish enough to put a bitch in heat in an enclosed area with intact males there is a chance of an unwanted litter occuring.

anything is possible

We should seperate girls from boys at school for the same reason. And as Orithia says, if you choose not to take steps to control your dog’s sexuality, you should breed the dog responsibly, not taking a bitch in heat to the dog park and waving her in front of a poor, testicle-intact male.

I agree 100%!  It goes along with the archaic and false thinking that a female dog has to have ‘just one litter’.  Don’t get me started on that kind of shortsighted view.

One other thing I wanted to add in our quest for a dog park - is that if it goes ahead we should have some kind of a holding area before you get into the main park.  Like a double door kind of thing - so that if someone is leaving or arriving at the park, any dogs that are in the park won’t be able to bolt out of fenced area and straight into freedom.  But that is something that we can decide later if we can get the park off the ground in the first place. 

I also take offense to the post by Justin Case regarding childrens’ parks. The fact that you (collective, not specifically ‘just you’) put children above dogs in importance is what bothers me.  At the same time, however, I also feel that you are entitled to your opinion.  So what is it about you placing dogs below children in importance that bothers me?  I do not want children.  Ever.  It is a personal choice, and is one that is shared by my husband.  We will, however, always have dogs (as long as we are physically able to care for them).  We are one of those couples that treat our dogs like our children - and we have been and probably always will be mocked by some folks for it - and that is really ok because we ARE like the crazy cat lady character - only there are two of us and we have dogs. :wink: 

So, back to WHY I feel that your view is offensive - is why should I be made to feel like a second class citizen because I do not have, nor want, children?  I also would like to add that this may not have been your intention with your post, but that is how I feel.  I have been given that look of disbelief and ‘what the hell is wrong with you’ when I have said that I do not want children of my own.  Usually I get the response of “Aw, you’ll change your mind, you’ll see” as though I am stuck in some kind of dark cave and perhaps one day I will ‘see the light’ and magically want children.  I don’t belittle or degrade those that DO want kids or already have them, so I get upset when I am treated that way for not wanting them. 

So, a caveat before I end this post - I realize that your intention with your post may not have been to shun those of us that have dogs and want a safe place for them to play - but it may very well have.  Some clarification from you would be great so I can truly understand where you were coming from.

While I understand (at least, I think I do) your point - are you ‘fighting’ for better and nicer parks for your children? (I assume you have children)  I would hope that you are - because if you are not, then I would be forced to lump you in with all of those people that cry foul from the back row but aren’t willing to help change what they don’t like.  I’m not saying that you are - I do not have evidence of that. 

No I do not put either dog cats or kids in any order, I Love dogs and I enjoy walking them for friends and I also like kids and I will walk them for friends as well. Do not be so silly regarding posts, I think it is a good idea to have a dog walking park which would be well maintained but the reality of it all is yes we do need some good parks where our children may be safe and can play with other children. The city tore down most of the parks and have never really maintained the pieces of property that was left behind so weather you like children or not face the facts. Once again yes I love dogs and they are on their own chart but little Mike still needs to be safe and grow with other children. Reality what a concept.

The dog park idea won’t cure the problem with the dog crap. It’s much the same mentality as those who smash their bottles, and those who leave their cigarette butts strewn over the ground.

How do you educate these louts?

Now, now, put down the baseball bat, 'tis not the way to go.

I agree Soggy…it wont cure the dog crap on the sidewalks problem…people who dont pick up after their dogs are a pretty disgusting lot on the whole…but some of them are just plain lazy assed…I’ve even heard some use the rain as an excuse not to pick up…as in…‘the rain will wash it away’…but it will take some of it off the streets as the lazy ass’s who are still willing to pay a small fee to use the park wont have their dogs walking the streets so much. As for not picking up in the park…its amazing what a little bit of peer pressure will do for small minded people insert evil grin

I hardly find it silly to voice my opinion of what you posted while also saying up front that I may have been ‘reading too much into it’ or getting the message you were trying to send all wrong.  I could have ranted and raved, gone off topic and reacted with great immaturity and assumption.  While I did have some assumptions, I stated them - hoping that the result would be you making yourself a little clearer in regards to your thoughts/opinions on the subject.  Perhaps if I knew you in person I might have been able to avoid that, but alas, I do not. 

As far as ‘reality what a concept’ - my reality has been to constantly face ridicule, disbelief and plain old discrimination because of my choice to not spawn - so please forgive me if my previous post was defensive in nature.  It’s pretty sad when I tell someone that I am not having kids because of some sort of medical problem (which I do not have) that it is immediately accepted and ok - but if I say that it is simply a choice on my part - I am met with massive incredulity and skepticism.  Yes, I realize that not everyone will respond this way, but I had no idea how you would respond - so I threw my opinion out there, posting in a way that assumed a lot, but again - I stated what I was assuming to give you the chance to respond.

You also did not answer my question in the last paragraph of my post.  Are you ‘fighting’ to try and get these parks rebuilt for your children or are you calling foul from the back row?

I am always in City Councils face about getting things back to how they used to be in Rupert for the people in Rupert. I have one cat , no dog due to lack of room or space. I do not have children but cat makes up in that part. I would love to see a great park or two for our children and yeah if there could be a possible dog park then let it be.What will Pond and his band of merry gang bring us for Christmas?

just some points to make:

1. Roosevelt is a SCHOOL, ie they use that park every single bloody day. I don’t hear anyone offering up Charlie Hays Field? much less any other functioning school.

2. Kootaney / Mckay is being used, just not by you, ours and many other children play there everyday. Just becuase some there isnt some “sanctioned” group using an area doesnt mean its unused, take the new parking lot addition to the hospital, which when built flattened an area our local kids played on every spring summer, now its black and paved for all those health aware hospital workers who drive ALL the way down sloan to get to work, no car pooling? I dont see many on the buses, and Ive only ever seen one worker on a bike.

3. Why not take those thousands of dollars spent every year on a “pet” and FEED A KID! Stop pretending thats a kid your looking at, its a bloody animal, go stand outside the food bank for an hour some day, then think about those kids faces while you go buy a 10 buck tins of doggy/kitty food, and if you can still buy it go ahead, its your karma.

4. Weren’t we just chatting about Westviews kid park getting torn up? BUILD A KID PARK INSTEAD! the reason why they were torn down was because they were dangerous, so build some SAFE ones to replace them, not just tear them down and bloody problem solved?? we’ve got something like 2 swings for 100+ kids up here on summt/mckay, the ratio is probably the same or higher anywhere else in the city.

5. who would pay? they let their dogs crap anywhere they please, come take a look at the grass on Summit / Mckay / Kootenay, patches there, patches here…almost no one in BC housing owns a pet, yet our grass is cratered, and our children come in with crap on thier shoes/clothes.

WOW! Who licked the red off your apple dad.?

My dog is not “just” an animal, he’s a part of my family.
And to many a dog is also a therapeutic companion. 
I give generously to several charities so I have no guilt
feelings about the money I spend on my dog’s food. And let’s
not forget his vet bills.:smile:

Ill make a point.

My dog didn’t steal your bike.

I wouldnt be so anti-dog if I didnt have to watch 10+ dog owners walk by and let
their dogs crap on our lawns. some clean it up, most don’t. My thanks to those that do.

Seeing eye dog = fine, looking for a friend = find a human, buying your dog a $100
doggy vest with matching gortex booties = w?!?t!?!f?

I never once in my rant attacked dog/pet owners for their lack of charity…? Im sure
that if they are so willing to throw money at bags of dirt for their pets to crap on,
Im sure they just as willing to flip a coin into a pot for the SA.

I hate toy dogs, their loud,  crap / piss everywhere, snap and bark loudly at my children when
they walk by us on the sidewalks, and owners frequently ignore the leash law. There are
breeds on this island that are DANGEROUS and have no other use than "being a friend"
to someone. How about when that ANIMAL acts like one, and some kids gets torn up?
(god forbid).

What gets me is that here we are debating if we should set up a big peice of publicly owned and managed property and make all these investments in these places FOR DOGS!?! Is every
human living here so incredibly happy with life that we dont need to invest in them? What next add a pond and a Doggy spa to Mt Hays…?

How much is the crap bags + dispensers, fence repair from dogs digging it up, grass maintance, bylaw enforcement wages going to cost. How many dog owners are there in PR? How many that would be willing to walk across town to walk their dog in circles?100 @ 50 bucks = 5000 = the cost of grass seed? whats the wages of a part time @ city rates? 15-40 dollars a nanosecond?Where is the bylaw
person to work from? Do we build him a shack? Do we as tax payers have to pay for all
this?

Sorry dog owners, if it seems like Im attacking you, it probably seems that way
to those that actually NEED the dog/pet, hell, I owned pets myself, but now I think the keeping of an animal within the confines of a house just to keep someone occoupied seems wrong. If your blind please do anything you like, who the hell am I to judge, the dog keeps you from having a heart attack GREAT!!! Im all for humans living longer.

PS: I saw someones terrier riding a flat black painted bmx, I think its stolen, can’t trust

them small breeds.

[attachments over a year old automatically deleted]

Please forgive me for having a life outside of my dogs which resulted in what you consider to be too long of a time to respond. 

Response to the points you made in post #28 of this thread:
1.Yes, Roosevelt is a school – when someone asks those that might be interested in a dog park for ideas/suggestions/interest, inevitably there are going to be some suggestions that won’t be feasible. This is known as brainstorming – later comes the paring down of ideas to those that would actually be possible
2.see #1.
3.How do you know that none of us provide for children – or as you so eloquently put it - “FEED A KIDâ€

What about using the old Kanata playground for an off leash dog park?  Most is fenced in and 80% surrounded by bushes and trees.

my children are asking me why the mean person online says they shouldnt exist.

People… is this a dogs versus kids debate? Either/or? They both have their merits. Why can’t they co-exist? Let’s just love each other. My universe is large enough for both kids and dogs, although not so much for pit bulls and juvenile delinquents.

But cats are flat out nasty, and should be abolished.

[quote=“disappointed_dad”]
just some points to make:

1. Roosevelt is a SCHOOL, ie they use that park every single bloody day. I don’t hear anyone offering up Charlie Hays Field? much less any other functioning school.[/quote]

Don’t know who mentioned Roosevelt, but you’re right, it’s a school playground/field and you’re silly if you think that City Council would entertain turning it into a dog park–especially since City Council != School Board.

[quote]
2. Kootaney / Mckay is being used, just not by you, ours and many other children play there everyday. Just becuase some there isnt some “sanctioned” group using an area doesnt mean its unused, take the new parking lot addition to the hospital, which when built flattened an area our local kids played on every spring summer, now its black and paved for all those health aware hospital workers who drive ALL the way down sloan to get to work, no car pooling? I dont see many on the buses, and Ive only ever seen one worker on a bike.[/quote]

Okay, so those parks might not be suitable–people are just throwing out ideas. As for the Hospital–over 100 people work there–perhaps more than 200. There are several different departments, and people are always on call. Sometimes it’s just not practical to car pool or take the bus when you have to get to work in 15 minutes because a woman has just gone into labour. By the way, your entire argument regarding the hospital hedges on what you’ve seen–perhaps… just perhaps… you don’t watch every single Hospital employee go to work.

[quote]
3. Why not take those thousands of dollars spent every year on a “pet” and FEED A KID! Stop pretending thats a kid your looking at, its a bloody animal, go stand outside the food bank for an hour some day, then think about those kids faces while you go buy a 10 buck tins of doggy/kitty food, and if you can still buy it go ahead, its your karma.[/quote]

It costs roughly 100,000 dollars to raise a single child from birth to the age of 18–so don’t use the cost of pets against pet owners. Some people don’t want kids, or can’t have kids–and many of these people DO have dogs. Dogs are extremely loving, protective, intelligent animals and can bring a lot of happiness into one’s life. On top of that, what about all the families with BOTH kids AND dogs. My dog–never had it stolen. How much money have you spent in bikes that have then gone missing. (purchase a bike lock, tbh)

[quote]
4. Weren’t we just chatting about Westviews kid park getting torn up? BUILD A KID PARK INSTEAD! the reason why they were torn down was because they were dangerous, so build some SAFE ones to replace them, not just tear them down and bloody problem solved?? we’ve got something like 2 swings for 100+ kids up here on summt/mckay, the ratio is probably the same or higher anywhere else in the city.[/quote]

The swings at Westview are already back, and I’m sure within a year or two there will be new play equipment. What the heck does that have to do with a dog park. I’ll state this again–City Hall would be in charge of a dog park, public school playgrounds are supervised by the School Board.

First, tell your kids to watch where they’re stepping and not to lie down in dog crap.

Second, how is dog poo any different than litter. There are laws against both littering and against leaving dog poo on the group when your pet has done his or her thing. Having a dog park wouldn’t help with dog poo too much. People who don’t pick up after their pet won’t start if there’s a park. However, people that litter continue to throw garbage on the group even though there are waste bins everywhere–does that mean we should get rid of all the waste bins just because it would save the tax payers money?

What you’ve done is made several large generalizations about the dog owning public. Just because some people are irresponsible does not mean that all people are. Kids smell, they’re loud, they’re rude, they steal from convenience stores, they cost a lot of money, and they’re inconsiderate. This is true of MANY children–but I’m not about to argue to tear down kids’ parks just because some parents are irresponsible.

Because it is not the childs fault the situation it is in?  Just throwing that out there.

Great idea… includes playground equipment so you can take your dog and your kids…that should make every body happy.

My dogs are asking me the same thing.