Dog Park

I understand that roosevelt, koot/mckay are just suggestions, and I argued against them, plain simple.

they may have rebuilt part of the westview kids park, but that doesnt address the issue completely, and it only helps those within spitting distance of westview.

sure I may have missed plenty about the hospital workers, but I stand by only seeing one bike, ridden by a hospital worker in the 10 years Ive lived within 50 feet of the hospital, and one worker on the bus, and I know a bloody thing or two about labour as I sat by my wifes side for all of them, and Ill tell you this, not one worker had to get there in 15 minutes, more like we got to sit and wait days for it all to happen.
As Im getting my kids ready for school, I get to see them all pull up in their minivans with only one person in each van, and guess what? NOT ONE OF THEM IS RUNNING IN?!?!!? So please unless you get a front row seat to this EVERYDAY, dont think I dont know what Im talking about. do you live with the hospital filling your livingroom window? didnt think so.

thats fine, everyone is free to own a dog/pet… All im doing here is expressing my opinion, as you are, the only difference is your attacking me and my kids, and Im attacking the issue of putting public funds into a dog park that will prolly only be used by 5-6 people a day, and will be abused by many who do use it.

i still think its completely stupid to own a “toy”, or “freind” pet, and I stand by my statement that our children need help first. DOGS ARE ANIMALS, KIDS ARE HUMAN, last time I looked there isnt a Charter of DOG RIGHTS??? Its human rights…

You need a dog as a tool, fine with me, got a 2 pound when soaking wet shitzu that snaps and barks at anything and everything, well that annoys me.

I talked with an avid dog owner today about all this, and while she said she is a huge fan of dogs, she cant see the sense in spending money on something this “frivolous”, if she wants to walk her dog, she takes “it” for a walk, its an IT, not a he, or she. IT.

when dogs/pets cant be looked after anymore, they put it down.
when a kid cant be looked after anymore, they put he/she in a foster home.

ever wonder why they put down dogs/cats? they are ANIMALS thats way, no different than putting down any other animal. cow/horse or otherwise.

$100,000 sounds fine to raise a child, even tho I think that number is crazy, as I make roughly $20,000.00 per year, times 18 years =  $360,000. Total expenses for 7 people over 18 years is $248,400 which divided per person =

$35485.714285714285714285714285714.

how much is spent on an animal? you made no mention of the lifetime cost of an animal? and how many things does a dog/pet create? how much money does a dog make? what tax bracket does a dog fall into? your comparing a living pillow with a tax payer. each of my kids will probably contribute minimum of $1,000,000.00 to the canadian economy. thats $5 million dollars created from an investment of:

$177,428.57142857142857142857142855

whats the return on a dog?

N/A?

yes I own lots of bikes, seeing as thats HOW I MAKE MY LIVING? seeing as someone here thinks that every parent in BC housing is on assistance, having kids for their own selfish needs and for cash, id think that someone would be happy with the idea of a parent working out of his house so he can keep a close supervision of his children while still producing for the economy.

I do have bike locks, you know sometimes someone borrows a bike of mine, and guess what? Im not there to make sure its locked up everytime, and I also only buy bikes from people who dont want them anymore, and I dont pay retail. and dogs get stolen to, I dont hear you suggesting you lock them up either?

I mentioned westview because it was the latest park to get the ax, if only for awhile.
OR A YEAR OR TWO?!?!

what you think I and my children are dense?!!? we look for dog crap to go lay in? becuase both you and the child hater who replied earlier seem to insinuate that my children are to stupid to try and avoid dog crap? my point is, the crap is everywhere, my kids dont crap everywhere, dogs do. my children should be free to play anywhere on this island without having to be affraid of stepping or sitting in some.

Second, how is dog poo any different than litter. There are laws against both littering and against leaving dog poo on the group when your pet has done his or her thing. Having a dog park wouldn’t help with dog poo too much. People who don’t pick up after their pet won’t start if there’s a park. However, people that litter continue to throw garbage on the group even though there are waste bins everywhere–does that mean we should get rid of all the waste bins just because it would save the tax payers money

dog crap is different than litter, a pop can on the ground doesnt make people sick, it doesnt stink, and doesnt kill the grass, and I can pick up and turn in a can for 5 cents, how much does dog crap bring you at the recycling depot? nothing, because its not litter, its CRAP!!

those taxes were already saved, they already got rid of many of the garbage bins, cant you tell from all the litter around town?

you said it yourself bud:

Having a dog park wouldn’t help with dog poo too much. People who don’t pick up after their pet won’t start if there’s a park.

dont want a kid, only want an animal fine, all i did was say I think that animals as pets and not used as tools, is wasteful and in the end, inconciderate to those HUMANS who cant make ends meet.

Im free to have an opinion, as IM HUMAN, as you all are, how about a little human solidarity? anyone else see this as a waste? Im sure there are many other things for humans we can build around here, ie a bike park, a jogging/camping area, something for the tourists to look at, instead of dog crap on our sidewalks and litter in the streets?

think that dog your looking at has an opinion other than “wow that crotch smells good” your fooling yourself, and if it does, please feel free to let them reply to this message, while your at that, Ill go and find a couple hundred kids that would have something to say about a park being setup for DOGS and not for them.

BTW: Ive never been bitten by a dog, but my children have, by both leashed and unleashed dogs, and most of my kids have been scratched by cats, both collared and uncollared. as i said GOD FORBID it happens. The dog owner I did talk to, said she’d only ever been bitten by small, or toy dogs, and that she’s never had trouble with the pitdoberbullman dogs, and I have to admit, Ive only ever heard of a couple of instances of these types of dogs attacking humans. certainly not enough to condem a whole breed of animal.

Ive had 2 dogs (1 stolen, 1 shot in front of me) and 6 cats (all went wild/lost), 2 hamsters (all found dead in cages), a number of goldfish (same in bowls) so far…Ive had pets and I know the bond that can be felt, Id prolly have defended some of my cats to the death, but would I put a pet before any child? instant anwser is no. the money, time, energy can be used elsewhere to a greater need.

If you guys can somehow work a 9/11 conspiracy, City Hall shenanigans, and perhaps some evolution versus intelligent design into your thread, it would be much better.

I could do lots of work and find studies upon studies showing how wrong you are about the intelligence and ability of dogs to care about their owners. But I won’t, because you’re not very smart yourself.

However, one thing you said really pushed my buttons:

[quote]dont want a kid, only want an animal fine, all i did was say I think that animals as pets and not used as tools, is wasteful and in the end, inconciderate to those HUMANS who cant make ends meet.

Im free to have an opinion, as IM HUMAN, as you all are, how about a little human solidarity? anyone else see this as a waste? Im sure there are many other things for humans we can build around here, ie a bike park, a jogging/camping area, something for the tourists to look at, instead of dog crap on our sidewalks and litter in the streets?[/quote]

So–me owning a dog just for the pleasure of having a cute, intelligent, caring animal is inconsiderate because you THINK that I don’t volunteer money or time to those less fortunate than myself? I don’t want to attack you for living in BC Housing–but there’s your contribution right there, my tax dollar goes towards keeping your housing complex open to people who need the boost up. I have no problem with that.

As for spending money on a dog park being a waste, I disagree whole-heartedly with you.

We DO have areas for joggers. We have several well kept trails, and two running tracks. We DO have areas where bikers can enjoy themselves—anywhere in town will do, and I’m pretty sure there’s still a downhill biking area set up and maintained out the highway by volunteers. We DO have a camping area. I must say, as someone who has been a tourist I’ve never spent any time envying their running tracks or RV parks.

We do NOT, however, have any areas designated for unleashed dogs–something MANY other municipalities have done. Why do you hate the idea so much?

I didn’t see anyone talking about larger dogs vs. smaller dogs except you. You’re arguing with yourself.

I didn’t read the whole thread, but this jumped out at me:

[quote]each of my kids will probably contribute minimum of $1,000,000.00 to the canadian economy. thats $5 million dollars created from an investment of:
[/quote]

So we value people based on how much they contribute to the economy?  So people who are on social assistance should be treated differently?

What if a working dog (mountain rescue, for example) can contribute more than a person who is on social assistance, does that make the dog more valuable than the person?

If you start valuing people based on their contribution to an economy, you’re gonna paint yourself into a logical corner real soon.

For example, some of the Wall Street investment bankers have been a huge drain on the world economy – costing economies trillions of dollars in the last little bit.  Are they worse than dogs who haven’t cost society trillions of dollars?

okey thank you, all for your replies, this will be my last on this issue…

1. mig, excellent example, mountain dog ($ value) vs person not working. I concede that basing a person/animals entire value existing on dollar value is not logical, I have to admit I thought that my post was biased in this fashion, but I was in to much of a heated moment, I couldnt sum it every concievable method, at least not in this time frame, and i doubt the post engine would accept such a document.

I used money as my basis, becuase someone who replied, mentioned it costing 100,000 dollars to raise a child, and I made up a quick formula to work out how much it was costing me aproximately (while cooking dinner for 7). Although, I wonder how much it would cost to raise a mountain dog, raise it in this thread, or another, or never, whatever floats yer boat.

1. I have to apologize to all dog owners out there, as I said earlier, I have had pets.
      I do understand. Im certainly not suggesting that we just off the whole bunch of    them, I dont know what Im suggesting really, but I know its not that. Hmmm, maybe Im suggesting I think its a bad idea to take a lot used by the public and make it a dog park. is that okey?

im sorry everyone, but umm mig, a banker worth less than a dog? you have to be more specific, a small dog? a big one? rare breed? does it have a dollar bill in its mouth? then ye…maybe…

4 pages about a dog park!
Talk about barking!

hehe
Ok I love Dogs, My Baby Loves Dogs, my wife loves dogs, but we all hate when we get
Dog shit on our shoes and track into the house…

Some dog owners are really bad at picking up there dog shit, I have thought of dumping my daughters shitty diapers on to their lawn, teach you for letting your dog shit in my yard…

Long rant

I’m all for a dog park, but only after the kids get some parks back first…

I was hoping someone would spin this thread into a big banking conspiracy or something :wink:

haha

I was going to start a thread about the present demise of the American Super Power and how its on the verge of being a 3 world country…

I am just counting to about one thousand to control my temper and not come off sounding like some angry hate the world person except me and my kids like disappointed has been sounding…once I calm down and drive my 7 yr old across town to school…walk my dogs and pick up responsibly…and be sure my scrubs are clean for the call I have to take tonight at the hospital…where yes we DO have to respond within 15 minutes…

I didnt start this thread to defend pet ownership…to discuss the rotten way alot of people in this town look after their children…or to argue the merits of how much of a person’s personal income should go to charity…I started it to find out if there was interest in…or any help out there…in adding a dog park to the city. Which agree or not does add more appeal to living here.

One thing I do take personally is the slam on the health workers here.

1. you have no idea how many bikes are parked inside the hospital by the O.R. because you do not have access to that area. So dont even begin to say you know who rides to work…who gets dropped off at work…and who walks to work.

2.You also have no idea who and what depts have to take call. How many people there work a full shift and then take call all night so that they can be called in at a moments notice to help your sick or injured family member with out one damn complaint! Only to come in to work yet another shift with what could be only a few hours sleep and then to take call yet again!

Do we get paid well for what we do? Certainly…do we get paid as  much as some at the port or the terminal?..hell I wished. But we make great sacrificies of ourselves and our families and our friends to come up to the north and work. Its the call that burns us out and forces us to move south to bigger centers where there isnt call.

So before you decide to slam an entire group of people who for the majourity are helping your ass and those of your familes. Get your damn story straight.

Hey guys, Thought I might have a word, I spent 6 years as an animal control officer in a large city where each municipality had 2 or more dog parks. It is an amazing thing to see a large number of dogs playing and getting along.  Animals who might otherwise bark or growl as they passed in the street.  There are the odd tussles to work out the pecking order but most owners let this occur naturally.
I think that you will find that here as well the people who frequent the dog park will be the dog owners who already pick up after their animals, who are responsible pet owners all around, as was my experience in the city.
I do not think a school ground or near a school ground is at all a good idea, it might even be against bylaws.  It would also have to be closed to dogs part of the day while children are attending school.
A city park would be ideal, it is already financed to be maintained, and dogs do not wreck a park as much as has been speculated on other posts.  So a fence, free poop bag dispensers really should not be a huge cost.
By-law enforcement would simply patrol and it would not effect negatively on their job, in fact to get to know the dog owners around town would be a good thing for them.  The good dog owners keep the bad dog owners in line and enforce the park rule themselve alot of the time.
That being said we take our dog out to the many areas around Rupert that are just safe places to have her off the leash. But I am aware that mobility might be an issue for some people and it would be nice to have a park for them.

Good luck.

You are not simply expressing an opinion when you infer that those of us that have pets are only humanizing them and making them less wild.  You have attacked those of us with dogs, and I admit I attacked right back - but to YOU, not your children.  Like someone already said here - children can’t pick their parents, so attacking your children would get us nowhere - other than you taking it personally.

And I think it’s completely stupid - well, no - not stupid - but at times irresponsible for the entire world to keep procreating like rabbits while there are so many children starving to death.  But that is my opinion - despite what I may have said in anger here that was only a knee-jerk reaction to an attack on my decision to have dogs and not children - I really do try to not shove my view down anyone’s throat.  You want to spawn and raise kids?  Good for you - you won’t see me doing it.

You get zero sympathy from me about your ‘annoying’ shih tzu.  If you had done the research before getting the dog (and this may not apply to you if you didn’t go out and choose the dog - perhaps your child brought it home or you were helping out a friend by saying you would look after the dog) then you would have discovered that it is completely normal for a shih tzu to act that way - they are stubborn little dogs that think they are big dogs. 

I would have to disagree about your friend being an ‘avid’ dog owner - but that is neither here nor there - everyone that has dogs is entitled to how they treat their pets - as long as they are not abused.  The same goes for calling a pet “it” - that is a personal choice - I doubt you refer to your children as ‘it’ - and the way some of us look at our pets is the same way you look at your kids - I’m not saying it is wrong or right - just the way it is.  If you don’t want people ‘attacking’ you and your kids, perhaps you should stop attacking those of us that treat our pets with apparently too much respect and love for your liking.

I wish I could disagree with the statement that when pets can’t be looked after anymore they are put down - but a lot of times this is the case - expensive treatments or financial issues can hinder anyone.  I feel sad when I think about how we can treat our pets humanely when they have come to have a poor quality of life, either through illness or injury - by putting them out of their misery - yet we can’t do that for our family.  But this is not a discussion about euthanasia and whether we feel that it is right or wrong.

Stop putting words in my mouth!  This is what I said:

[quote=“kaleid”]
3.How do you know that none of us provide for children – or as you so eloquently put it - “FEED A KIDâ€[/quote]

Soooooo…  Anyway…    Awkward…

Carrying on…

I was thinkinking that small park just below the road on Borden street.  Ok so we would have to kick the children out,  or just move the equipment down to one end, slap up a short fence.  The park has natural barriers,  keeping costs down.  It is almost central.  Not bordering homes or schools. Seems like a start.

CANUCKS SUCK  :laughing:

that is a really nice area the one below borden. Parking might be an issue for those that have to drive there…but there should be enough parking around there it shouldnt be too big of a problem.

Nice to have your insights on parks as well.

I still like Doug kerr…but thats a personal preference…I have sight hounds that like to run…Doug Kerr is pretty big for that…and lots of parking if I’m rushed for time and cant walk there.

The only school near is the high school and its on the other side so shouldnt be too bad.

Are they going to use them? I’m not suggesting that what I’ve seen is the case, but I just haven’t noticed a lot of usage at the parks we do have–and lots of them are quite good.

Aside from the school parks, There’s only maybe two or three good parks in town. When I was a kid there was ALOT more.

But that’s not my question. I’m curious whether or not maintaining new parks for kids would actually change anything. When I was little me and my friends were always content going to the nearest school to play at the park. Again, personally, I’ve never noticed that Prince Rupert parks are used all that often.

holly crap get out of the house more…mariners park is used by a lot of kids and tykes, so is the one across the police station, some times its so full the kids cant play they have to wait…