Disgusting Fraser Institute Outdoes Itself Again

We’re All Gonna Die If We Have To Pay Higher Minimum Wage
Read all about it if you can’t already guess what they’re whining about

[quote=“herbie_popnecker”]We’re All Gonna Die If We Have To Pay Higher Minimum Wage
Read all about it if you can’t already guess what they’re whining about[/quote]

Yeah. I sometimes really do scratch my head and wonder about this think tank. I mean who is going to pay taxes and help to support infrastructure if people are making 8 bucks an hour? If people make a decent wage they will purchase more goods and services thereby stimulating the economy.

[quote=“hitest”]

Yeah. I sometimes really do scratch my head and wonder about this think tank. I mean who is going to pay taxes and help to support infrastructure if people are making 8 bucks an hour? If people make a decent wage they will purchase more goods and services thereby stimulating the economy.[/quote]

But, if the minimum wage is increased, the cost of living goes up too. I’m not arguing for or against it, but at this point, it doesn’t matter WHAT amount of pay you get, anything below 15 bucks an hour is tough to live on.

[quote=“bubbasteve735”]

Yeah. I sometimes really do scratch my head and wonder about this think tank. I mean who is going to pay taxes and help to support infrastructure if people are making 8 bucks an hour? If people make a decent wage they will purchase more goods and services thereby stimulating the economy.

But, if the minimum wage is increased, the cost of living goes up too. I’m not arguing for or against it, but at this point, it doesn’t matter WHAT amount of pay you get, anything below 15 bucks an hour is tough to live on.[/quote]

No one can live on 8 bucks an hour. The Fraser Institute would love to see two classes in society. The destitute and the super rich. I for one do not want us to emulate Mexico and have the middle class disappear entirely.
Do you have any proof to back up your claim that when the minimum wage is increased the cost of living will increase?

[quote=“hitest”]

[quote=“bubbasteve735”]

But, if the minimum wage is increased, the cost of living goes up too. I’m not arguing for or against it, but at this point, it doesn’t matter WHAT amount of pay you get, anything below 15 bucks an hour is tough to live on.

No one can live on 8 bucks an hour. The Fraser Institute would love to see two classes in society. The destitute and the super rich. I for one do not want us to emulate Mexico and have the middle class disappear entirely.
Do you have any proof to back up your claim that when the minimum wage is increased the cost of living will increase?[/quote]

Just seems common sense. Employers have to pay their employees more, so they charge more for their products…
I found it hard to live on 10 bucks an hour, and pay for two people.

It’s probably a good thing the minimum wage is going up–it’ll certainly be an awesome change for people trying to live on the currrent wage.

Money doesn’t grow on tress, though, so the increase will have to come from somewhere. It’s not fair to expect business owners to take a cut to cover the extra expense, so it’s totally plausible that some business might have to trim staff.

Let’s be clear–it’s not just the Fraser Institute saying that this will happen, business owners are already coming forward talking about the burden it’s going to put on them. Are they just right-wing liars, too?

I think the bigger burden (especially in Prince Rupert) is the ever-increasing taxes!

Do right-wingers in Prince Rupert still support the raising of taxes to even higher record levels, while subsidizing a publicly-owned telephone company that competes with private enterprise? I love it!

[quote=“MiG”]I think the bigger burden (especially in Prince Rupert) is the ever-increasing taxes!

Do right-wingers in Prince Rupert still support the raising of taxes to even higher record levels, while subsidizing a publicly-owned telephone company that competes with private enterprise? I love it![/quote]

Well, I do agree that the whole CityWest issue needs to be addressed, but another side of that question perhaps is also, do the residents of the City of Prince Rupert accept the idea that the only way to good governance is through higher taxation without examining the bloated nature of the city payroll, the variety of departments that might perhaps use a bit of review and the various payouts over the years for past service.

Of course there’s the mess at Watson Island and the various legal fights that the Mayor has joined in on apparently on our behalf.

Not to mention the pay raises and benefits that council and such have enjoyed during these austerity years.

Minimum wages are not meant to be a “living wage” but a training or entry level wage,why should an employer have to train,as in McDonalds,an employee who has no job skills?If you are worth keeping on,you wage will increase based on how good an employee you are!

That’s how it’s supposed to work, but almost everyone I know figures a journeyman at the mill makes almost $30 so they should start at $30.
They don’t understand ‘paying your dues’, ‘working your way up’, etc. It took six years to make journeyman wage where I worked and if you were a useless tit you got held back and it took longer. Most of those that got held got all pissy that it was the Boss’s fault, it was the Union’s fault and quit. Which was showed the system worked. The journeymen knew WTF they were doing.