Dining recommendations?

OK here is my two cents    Brad’s for Burgers, Anchor Inn for Seafood Fettucini, Chances for Different( Crab cakes yum)  Crest if you want to wait and want fancy,  and for Chinese Food West end has the best, Lee and Anns is good for Vietnamese.

The Coast Hotel (Charlies) for breakfast.
Naomi’s Deli in the Rupert Square Mall for lunch.
Ethnic Dinner (Butter Chicken?) at Zorbas for dinner.
Drinks & Appies/Dinner at Breakers is awesome as well.

Brad’s Drive In (Port Ed) for a day-out-lunch-at-the-beach kinda thing.

Avoid: Rhodos (definitely don’t try the “half chicken!” -no presentation what-so-ever!).

Family coming up…with kids? If so, half the recommendations on this thread disappear. that’s been a pet peeve of mine: the lack of a place to go for and evening out with minors, unless you want Chinese/Vietnamese.

Cow Bay Cafe - always good but expensive (ie: you get what you pay for)
Crest - usually good but expensive (you often get what you pay for)

PrimeTime is a personal fave for lunch - some Chinese, excellent sandwiches, and fresh sushi…nom nom nom
The Neptune for breakkie. Good food, reasonable prices.

For all it’s shortcomings, I still miss Rain…

We decided to go up to the Neptune after work for old times sake tonight, and the big sign in the window said  “restaurant open May 19 6am”…so we turned the car off ,then noticed no lights on anywhere. Damn… wonder what the problem was?
There were vehicles around too… try again another day… bacon and eggs at home will do tonight… :wink:

maybe it meant may 19 6am 2011  :imp:

aaaarrgh…I hope it’s soon… :neutral_face:

why?..are you missing your intake of moss and molding on the windows???

yum yum

I have a $50 Rain certificate I can sell you real cheap!

Cu’s (economic pricing on child friendly meals). The oceanview has family dining as well. Anchor inn has a dining room as well as pub seating. I agree, the crest takes forever and really nothing to “pay the price for”. I had date night with my son and was sadly dissappointed.

The last two times i have ordered butter chicken from Zorba it has arrived with old dry chicken, i think the leftover tandoori legs…could hardly eat it.  The first time i thought it was a mistake but the second time i knew i had be had.

Rhodo’s makes the best pizza, don’t know about anything else.

At the Crest we waited and waited for our meal, my steak came and it was too rare, not a problem, just throw it back on the grill for 2 mins…better than overdone, itstead they microwaved it till it was dead…yuk, then they got angry when we complained.  Trevor the bar manager was really cool though and offered us something in the bar so screw the resturant side and go to the bar side.  Same food, service way better.  Tammy is the only one on the dinner side who is really good at what she does. 

I like the chinese at the West End, and not open in evening but the chowmein at Uncle Buck’s is good with tons of veggies on top…

Breakers is pretty good, Cow Bay Cafe is good.

New chefs (again) at Chances and i hear it’s been pretty bad…afraid to try it. 

Opa shushi get top rating, their chef knows what he is doing and i am wanting to try Dolly’s.

Wish town had a few more choices. 

I’ll send the folks the highlights (and the lows) of this post. Thanks for all the scoop and here is hoping the estimated two thousand or so ex-Rupertites have a great time at your party!
:smiley:

I forgot the OV…ate there on Mother’s Day and they had a noon to 4PM daily special: a good steak sandwich with fries for $10.

The Hindgrinder buffet is decent on Sundays but it’s like eating in a cave decorated with the remnants of a Kamloops Smitty’s makeover circa 1983…pink and green and wicker…and who builds a waterfront hotel restaurant with no water view??? The same architect as the mall, apparently.

What was that letter to the editor in the Northern View this week about giving credit to the architect when the building is in a picture? Yeah, everytime those two concrete abominations are shown in a picture we should be able to identify the architect to take money from their bank account to go towards the city tax deficit. Like reverse royalties for excellence in craptitude.

We may not have a lot of shopping, but you should never go hungry in Rupert, as the above thread clearly shows.

Where is this Uncle stumbly,curious to check it out.

The Highliner.

No windows. Low ceilings. Hanging wicker lights on chains that dangle down to about the 5’ 10" level so you hit them when you stand up to go get more bacon…

I have eaten out pretty much everywhere in rupert, I will always come back to the Westend…it doesn’t look like much from the street but it is clean and welcoming.  best wonton soup hands down!, burgers are homemade and if you go on the day of the cheesburger special you can get soup AND dessert included for under 7 bucks…cheaper that anywhere and it is always consistant and fast.  Check out the desserts if you are craving something sweet?..you can get banana splits, huge piece of coconut creme pie  or apple pie ala mode for like 4 bucks… Sooo good. and the milkshakes are pretty thick also…chinesse food is awesome here.  highly recommended! 

… the Highliner restaurant was supposed to be on the top floor … the view would have been spectacular … but unfortunately some fire regulations were overlooked … there’s something very Rupert about that, as in how it turned out isn’t quite how it was supposed to be. I’m not sure if the architect would want to take credit for that part of the design.

Also too bad about the digital clock … I think it added to the skyline but the numbers seemed to go haywire whenever there was a strong SE wind.

I’m okay with the circa 1983 restaurant … it’s becoming retro in its own way and reminiscent of more affluent times … while a lot of downtown looks decrepit or has burned down.

As for the West End, I’m glad that it has kept its vintage 1940’s look and that it’s busy … there’s not a lot of traditional cafes left like that. 

highwhiner Sunday brekkie is good - ESPECIALLY the BACON…modest renos have been done, so don’t sit under the low hanging light section.  Mostly the lights have been replace with pot lights

Dining in rupert is horrible.  I’ve yet to eat a good meal there… I’ve had many consistently average meals there but nothing I’d consider good.

Mind you I’ve only had 10-20 meals made by others that I’d consider good/great. Of course I make all of my food including breads and sometimes pasta noodles from scratch and always use the freshest vegetables I can find so perhaps I’m expecting a bit much.

Rest assured, there are many “good/great” food connoisseur’s in Prince Rupert. The issue here is that, much to my dismay, you have only 10 or 20 to speak of. Unfortunately for you, many of these type rarely charge for the pleasure.