Digital Camera's

Can you get a good Dig cam for $200?

One that you dont spend 1000$ a year on batteries?

camera’s use alot of battery power to in order to power the lcd screen. Buy rechargeables from walmart or whatever, I bought 8 batteries for 20 bucks.

on that same topic, how long do rechargeable batteries for camera last? And is there a memory effect on them?

Mine are sony AA and I’ve had them for 3 years now. They seem to lose their charge faster now than last year.

There is no memory effect, no matter what any salesperson tells you. It’s a myth. There never was, either, not even in the 80s. :wink:

Li-Ion batteries are good for a number of “charging cycles” – depends on the battery, of course, but once they hit a certain number of charge cycles, they start to lose their ability to hold a charge.

You don’t want to fully discharge modern batteries unless you have to – charge them up as soon as you can, doesn’t matter if they are dead or not.

The other little secret the industry won’t tell you is that normal alkalines are rechargeable (if you have a good charger that will trickle charge, otherwise, they explode!).

[quote=“MiG”]There is no memory effect, no matter what any salesperson tells you. It’s a myth. There never was, either, not even in the 80s. :wink:

Li-Ion batteries are good for a number of “charging cycles” – depends on the battery, of course, but once they hit a certain number of charge cycles, they start to lose their ability to hold a charge.

You don’t want to fully discharge modern batteries unless you have to – charge them up as soon as you can, doesn’t matter if they are dead or not.

The other little secret the industry won’t tell you is that normal alkalines are rechargeable (if you have a good charger that will trickle charge, otherwise, they explode!).[/quote]

This is all true BUT nicad batteries held a memory…:d

The question you have to ask yourself is “are the batteries working well enough to suit my useage of them?” If yes, then use them a while longer. If no then replace them.

Mike

NiCad batteries did not, and do not have a memory effect.

It’s all salesperson myth. You gotta stop listening to salespeople.

Read this: repairfaq.org/ELE/F_NiCd_Memory.html

and of course, en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memory_effect

The “memory effect” is a theory to explain what happened on a couple of communications satellites, not in your AA rechargeables. The satellites would be in the shadow of the earth (and therefore not recharging their batteries with solar power) at the same “point” in the battery with every orbit. That’s how they think they developed a chemical memory. You can’t do that on a normal AA battery, nicad or not.

Stop spreading the myth, it’s just not true.

If they have no memory, why do they remember to die when my favorite show is on? Are you gonna MythBust that all machines have an innate evil intelligence next?

The NiMH batteries for my mp3 player definately have a memory effct. Only once was I able to get anything over 2 hours use with them… the rest of the time it slowly trickled down to a half hour of use before I had to charge them again. I even tried to use them in other less-draining machines to make them really dead before a full charge… and they still would lose their charge pretty fast.

If any advice i could give id only buy a digi cam that could take aa’s my cam uses 2300 mah batteries and lasts long… I had some 3000 mah batteries but lost them to a road trip… Buy a decent charger and a decent set of hi MA batteries and you’r set…

I got some really cheap batteries for my Elph off of ebay, and they easily last twice as long as the Canon battery that came with the camera.

That still doesnt answer my question

It’s HTMF… did you really think we’d answer your question??

You get what you pay for… I’m sure some people could luck out and get a really great digital camera for $200, but most of the time you’re going to want to spend more than that.

Look around Tigerdirect.ca – you may find a name-brand camera less than $200, but it’s not going to be a great one.

[quote=“yngwie_69”]Can you get a good Dig cam for $200?

One that you dont spend 1000$ a year on batteries?[/quote]

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1740000&Sku=C930-1252%20CA

[quote=“Optimus Prime”]

[quote=“yngwie_69”]Can you get a good Dig cam for $200?

One that you dont spend 1000$ a year on batteries?[/quote]

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1740000&Sku=C930-1252%20CA[/quote]

so is this better then a 4.0 megapix i can get for 99$

[quote=“yngwie_69”]

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1740000&Sku=C930-1252%20CA

so is this better then a 4.0 megapix i can get for 99$[/quote]

A 4.0 for $99?? I’m guessing that’s a huge piece of crap.