Digg user revolt (HD-DVD key)

Too funny:

boingboing.net/2007/05/02/di … lt_ov.html

[quote]Last night, Digg.com underwent a user rebellion. Digg removed many posts – and terminated the accounts of some of its users – for posting a 16-digit hexadecimal number that is used to lock up HD-DVD movies. The number – a “processing key” – was discovered by Doom9 message-board poster muslix64, who was frustrated by his inability to play his lawfully purchased HD-DVD movies because of failure in the anti-copying system.

The AACS Licensing Authority, which controls the anti-copying technology underlying HD-DVD, sent out hundreds of legal threats to sites that had posted the key, including Digg. It appears that Digg took a pro-active stance and began to seek out new examples of the key and delete them immediately, instead of waiting for notice from the AACS-LA. It’s likely that their lawyers advised them to take this course of action, since the penalties for posting “circumvention devices” can be stiff.

Digg’s users revolted at this stricture, and saw to it that every single item on the front page of Digg contained the forbidden number. Users accused Digg of taking money from the HD-DVD manufacturers (Digg ran an ad campaign from the company in the late summer of 2006), and complained about the site’s deletion of user accounts. [/quote]

Heh, it’s on the BBC news site now:

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/6615047.stm

So apparently, this is the string you’re not supposed to post:

09-f9-11-02-9d-74-e3-5b-d8-41-56-c5-63-56-88-c0

I wonder if they’re going to have T-Shirts printed with that string on it?  Or write a song that contains those numbers?  It’s DeCSS all over again!  lollerskates!

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DeCSS

Nice to see that people like to share key’s to help us all :smiley:

The best part about this key is that it was leaked by the AACS themselves in a takedown notice.

They published it, now they’re suing to prevent other people from publishing it.

09-f9-11-02-9d-74-e3-5b-d8-41-56-c5-63-56-88-c0

Sort of on this subject, what social bookmarking sites are you guys into?

I use digg and reddit daily, and am no longer into Slashdot, and thinking of giving Fark a try.

Put me down for one of those

and a hat

Heh, so somebody took the hex values and made the corresponding colours, and then made a T-Shirt with the colours.  What?  How can you copyright numbers?  Copyright colours?  WTF?

boingboing.net/2007/05/02/ar … s_ill.html

As for websites that I visit daily:  metafilter, boingboing, and a bunch of other blogs (thanks to bloglines).  I read maybe 100 blogs a day with bloglines.

I’m really digging facebook lately – of all the social networking sites, it’s the nicest and least annoying (ie: it’s the anti-myspace, or facebook:myspace  = google:msn-search).

Pantone managed to… :smiley:

Ahh… isn’t this beautiful?