Did you hear that?

tonight 4 of us were star gazing while outside in a hot tub and we saw the most incredible display of a shooting star. Never before have I viewed a shooting star in the sky for so long nor have I seen it come so close to the earth. In fact it was so close we commented that we almost surprised that we didn’t hear any sound to go along with it. So perhaps the shooting star caused the loud noise you heard.

Hey! That’s very possible! Great explanation. Lots of people heard it too.

The neighbour’s fence was brought down by some other event, apparently.

Shooting stars make noise if they are close to the earth?

Wow, I think I learned something new today!

Shooting stars are actually meteoroids entering Earth’s atmosphere. They would certainly make noise if they hit something! Or maybe sonic booms? Lots of meteorites have been found, some even hit people’s houses and stuff.

No reports of one hitting Rupert last night though, was there?

Oh I thought he meant they make noise just going by in the sky, not necessarily falling and hitting something.

Yeah, even flying over they apparently make sound, if they’re close. Like if one flew over and crashed in the pacific close to here, we’d probably hear a boom as it broke up. Hard to say, I think it’s rare.

i’ve heard them before, at SFU in 2001 or 2002.

one of the most incredible things i’ve ever seen, blue green streaks that were stretching across my entire visual range of the sky looking up…

half the noise was the reaction of people in the same area lying down and noticing it in sequence…blow your mind material.

and the closest way i can approximate how they’d sound was a gentle ripping sound, or like someone running their fingertips over tightly stretched nylon webbing…

not all of them made it either, it seemed to be the more spectacular ones

From my quick googling, it seems that there are two types of sounds that they can make. One of them is the one you describe, and another is a sonic boom as bits and pieces break up. The sonic boom ones usually aren’t visible. If you can see them, the angle is usually not right for you to hear them.

cool. ive never found out if I was right, or just experiencing synaesthesia, but I guess i really did hear that. the girl who was with me heard them too, but i didnt know if she was just me-tooing.

gnarly! i heard space!!!

It wasn’t a shooting star.

Just for the record, Mel and I noticed an unusually large amount of falling stars last night. Infact, I think Eso may have commented one one or two himself… Anyway, it was an insanely clear night until about 12:00 so I doubt anything was out of the ordinary (just better visibility). However, someone did comment on a shooting star which broke up and turned into about 4 or 5 smaller ones… I bet small meteorites hit the Earth close to our homes more often than we wish to believe. Being the astronomy whore I am, I’ll side with the idea of it being a very small meteorite hitting the ground, or breaking up in the atmosphere.

Cool Stuff.

Oh, sorry. What was it then?

are there any new sinkholes sort of like sand traps popping up around Rupert? with funny mole like sounds coming from them?
If there are say hi to Znoggh for me. and he drinks from bottles, their saliva dissolves beer cans.

[quote=“orangetang”]

Oh, sorry. What was it then?[/quote]

I think someone in the neighbourhood got one of thesefrom Santa.

Wowsers, that’d leave a mark.

Well These co2 tanks where big. And they where on fire that may explain some shooting stars coming close. But still dont think its possiable.

This Just In: minimizing firefox to my tray is kinda neat. I like.

No ones taking me back to the big man. I’ll fight till my last breath. Thats funny cause its right no…