Democratic Challenge

The challenging part of living the good life (no yelping allowed, compared to MOST of the world, we live a very good life) in a democratic society is that we forget our OBLIGATION to keep it democratic. This does not end with making an X in a box once every 3 or 4 years people!

You can howl about politicians breaking campaign promises all you want, but honestly how many of us make any effort whatsoever to hold them to their promises?? How many of us go to those City Council meetings and sit in the gallery? Not bloody many. I know this for a fact, because I am often one of two or three people sitting there!

As much as we would like to believe that the people running for office are intelligent, strong and respectful people - we should not bank on it. There are many times many ways to engage with a local governement but if we get lazy and don’t bother - our government very kindly reflects that attitude! They don’t bother trying to engage us any more!

Think about it! Are the City Halls full of politicians? Or are they full of leaders? Which would we prefer?

An excellent point.

It makes me think of a work environment in which employees are often left to their own devices and then, every six months or so, the boss takes a good, close look at their work and says “WTF??” A boss really has no right blasting a worker who has not received regular guidance regarding the boss’/company’s wishes. The same goes for our politicians.

A mayor or councilor left to their own devices eventually loses any feeling of accountability or vulnerability and thinks, “no one is saying anything, so I must be doing a good job.”

It’s true that by voting for them, we have empowered them to make important decisions that affect our lives but we mustn’t allow them to make those decisions in a vacuum (see George Dubyah), without regular input from their constituents.

To answer your question, I choose leaders. Politicians are more interested in their survival and rarely take chances or make bold choices. Sadly, there are a lot of people out there (as noted by the attendance at council meetings) who do only care - and just a little - every three or four years. And there are people who think the mayor should go by the motto “It ain’t in my job description,” rather than being a bold, innovative leader.

[quote=“poolboy”]
A mayor or councilor left to their own devices eventually loses any feeling of accountability or vulnerability and thinks, “no one is saying anything, so I must be doing a good job.”

It’s true that by voting for them, we have empowered them to make important decisions that affect our lives but we mustn’t allow them to make those decisions in a vacuum (see George Dubyah), without regular input from their constituents.

.[/quote]

So, how can we break through a wall of apathy? Especially when Mr or Ms Bloe would rather watch Desparate Housewives or CNN than engage in local issues?

Of course, as you said, this leaves the Mayor and Council free to ASSUME that silence is consent. It is a vulgar comparison I once heard - but applicable. If we don’t even try to yell ‘rape’ then we are just gettin’ screwed.

Apathy and ignorance would be the death of democracy - will we allow that?

Being in attendance at council meetings is not neccessary to keep our elected officials accountable. There is Channel 10 for those of us that have cable, the city newsletter and local media to stay informed.

Life can be too busy for many with full-time jobs, kids, extra-curricular activites, responsibilities at home, etc to be one of those that regularly attend meetings. Its a matter of priorities and being there is not even on my list. But yet I do stay well informed and I do take council members to task if I think it is needed.

I do agree with most of what you are saying but attendance at coucil meetings, I think, is un-neccessary.

[quote=“fingahz”]

Being in attendance at council meetings is not neccessary to keep our elected officials accountable. There is Channel 10 for those of us that have cable, the city newsletter and local media to stay informed.

Life can be too busy for many with full-time jobs, kids, extra-curricular activites, responsibilities at home, etc to be one of those that regularly attend meetings. Its a matter of priorities and being there is not even on my list. But yet I do stay well informed and I do take council members to task if I think it is needed.

I do agree with most of what you are saying but attendance at coucil meetings, I think, is un-neccessary.[/quote]

Believe me, I understand being “too busy” - as it is very much a challenge to get out to the council meetings…with my over full time work and family responsibilities.

You are absolutely correct, that attending council meetings is not necessary to remain informed - but it is a good place to start. As it is, there is so little community involvement in Prince Rupert’s civic government, that I fear for us. Apathy and ignorance WILL kill democracy.

If not council meetings, then some other form of involvement. The crux of my point is that in order for democracy to represent the will of the people, the people must make their will known. I think we can safely assume that the simple act of voting is not doing that. After all, how many of us who DO actually vote come away from the polls feeling that none of the candidates or parties were sastifactory?

I agree with you. That essentially is what it boils down to.

Alternatively, I’d like an extra box on the ballot that says “None of the Above” so that the politicians would have to take note that some are rejecting the lot of them.

You can always scratch your vote. Go to the booth, make a big line through all the candidates and your vote will be counted as rejected but you still voted which is the important part. It’s a form of protest albeit not as direct as your suggestion. But if people would do that more, instead of not voting, discontent with the election process would be more visible.

I am so fed up with politics. I am becoming more an more pessimistic with our North American ways of doing politics. I am not sure if things are better elsewhere but the disrespect between political opponents is so frustrating that it doesn’t produce anything good and it certainly prevents a lot of potentially good people from running in elections.

[quote=“BigThumb”]

You can always scratch your vote. Go to the booth, make a big line through all the candidates and your vote will be counted as rejected but you still voted which is the important part. It’s a form of protest albeit not as direct as your suggestion. But if people would do that more, instead of not voting, discontent with the election process would be more visible.

I am so fed up with politics. I am becoming more an more pessimistic with our North American ways of doing politics. I am not sure if things are better elsewhere but the disrespect between political opponents is so frustrating that it doesn’t produce anything good and it certainly prevents a lot of potentially good people from running in elections.[/quote]

Get a couple friends to sign a nomination paper for you an run as an Independent. Hell I even got 40 odd votes! It worked for Chuck Cadman.

[quote=“BigThumb”]
I am so fed up with politics… but the disrespect between political opponents is so frustrating that it doesn’t produce anything good and it certainly prevents a lot of potentially good people from running in elections.[/quote]

It’s for others to judge if I am a " potentially good" person but it isn’t my intention to run. And the old cliché of “if you don’t get involved then don’t diss the system” is almost non applicable anymore to our system because image and impressions will beat substance too often.

I am not dissing the representation system that we have but everything that surrounds political parties. The black and white nuance-less approach to issues, the arguing and childish attitudes in our legislative assemblies and parliement, the lobbying, the media orgy around the campaigns and many other things contribute to poor respect for politics.

Well - how about our elected folks come and talk to me - rather than me having to go and talk to them? I’m home most evenings and weekends - but I only hear from them at election time. Basically they need to involve the citizens - not the other way around. I suspect that if they stopped to talk to your average citizen they would get pretty good feedback on issues.

I agree with JJR , that was my point during the municipal election, evryone comes out of the woodwork or under their rocks every three or four years, they go around shake babys and kiss hands, put up signs with lies. Then comes D-day either they win or lose and for the most part we don’t see them for another three or four. How many people have seen Mclean, Fitzpatrick or even Hollywood Herb lately?

Excellent Idea! The issue of a Citizens or Community Advisory group as a formal body for Mr and Mrs Bloe to be involved, is an idea that came up several times. I believe Joy Thorkelson mentioned it too. I guess now we need to make sure that Joy and the rest of the councillors (remember, he may be mayor, but it is still a COUNCILLOR position) know that we WILL participate!
They DO need to make the effort, but the citizens must recriprocate the effort.