Daily News changes

what if they used to live here ? but i guess if they chose to go there it was thier own mistake lol

It’s a joke.

At least until they stop stealing all our big box stores… :imp:

i was attempting at continuing the joke lol

Yes I am, and I stand by that still. That’s not the point though. The point is, do your reasearch instead of spending all of this time spreading rumours about things.

My research has found a fishy deal.

LOL, “That’s not the point though. The point is,” ah yes, the last refuge of the lost argrument… :wink:

Classic. :smile:

My sig is also a DNA reference. Check out what the previous sentence was in this quote.  :imp:

Lol but I already KNOW what’s going on there. So all of you quit speculating, you’re all wrong damnit!!!

So just to be the Devil’s Advocate here.

How do you know that what you’ve been told is the “truth”, perhaps you’ve been caught up in the conspiracy of spin… after all the management of the paper is probably going to try and frame events in the best light for management.

Just because someone tells you something is so, perhaps doesn’t make it necessarily so… 

That’s how the sheeple are herded you know. :smiley:

Ahhh … if there’s one thing I’ll miss about Rupert it’s the way everyone is convinced the Daily News is out to get you :smile:

ALthough I don’t know why Earle has left I can clarify a few things for you (conspiratorial killjoy that I am): Letters are generally run as they come in with local letters having priority. If there are no local letters those with local, regional or provincial impact then follow. Sometimes random letters are printed (regardless of where they are from) simply because there is a hole that needs to be filled and it’s hoped it might interest someone (the world being slightly larger then Rupert). Politics really never comes into play. When Bill was MLA, the paper was filled with letters about how terrible he was (probably mostly written by Gary). Since Gary has been MLA the paper has been filled with letters about how terrible he is (probably mostly written by friends of Pat Bell … that’s a joke btw…). I think it has more to do with the fact that people generally only write to complain…

I’d like to tell you there is something evil going on behind closed doors, but will all due deference to Msrs Gore and Chomsky, the media ain’t out to get you. They’re just over-worked and under-paid.

Miss you Guys!

James V.

PS. So long and Thanks for all the fish is indeed Douglas Adams, who is like Jesus to all British people, of which Earle is one. So, I’m afraid, no conspiracy there either. That being said, things seem to have fallen rather far there of late … mostly since I left I notice… :smile:

Having watched the discussion for a day or two, I would like to clarify my point, and offer a couple of comments.
  I was (obviously) asking speculative questions, rather than trying to “prove” anything.  The point was really a concern that things may change in the future towards a less balanced coverage.  The “proof” if there is to be any, won’t arrive until after Mr. Gale leaves.  I’m simply suggesting since he has been fair and balanced, and generally effective, his departure in these economic times is strange, and makes me wonder if a change is in the air. 
  James, I agree that “the media isn’t out to get you” is a true statement about the vast majority of journalists, who are ethical, dedicated, and yes, underpaid.  However, there is ample evidence that at the corporate level, major media outlets do engage in spinning the news to one side or another.  Canwest has been clearly small “c” conservative, or liberal in a conservative way.  The Tyee (not quite a corporation), is clearly presenting an alternative.  Therefore, it is not unreasonable to be concerned about a similar change in our own newspaper, which is owned by Glacier Media. 
  Checking the company’s home page reveals that it is “focused on expanding through two core business segments: 1) the business and professional information market and 2) the newspaper and trade publication market.Our culture is dynamic, entrepreneurial and independent, emboldened by a commitment to our people and their growth, our customers and their success, and our shareholders and their value.” Sounds business oriented to me. 
  Add to that the struggle of newspapers generally, their dependence on mostly business based advertising.  I contend that it is not unreasonable to expect that there are pressures to present a particular point of view, especially in an election year. 
  Mr. Gale’s (unfortunate, in my view) departure merely provoked a line of thinking, which I presented in a speculative form.

Bubbasteve, I share your desire for “evidence”, which is why I asked the questions in the first place.  However, I must observe that “I know what’s going on there” isn’t evidence either.

I’m gonna go with Bubba on this one, her dad is the current longest serving staff member there and she might have heard a real scoop.

c’mon they are arent they, we know they are :wink:

I have indeed heard the real scoop. But it is none of my buisness to post it online. And I find it rather unfair how people think it’s okay to basically spread rumours around everywhere, wether they be truthful or not. Just quit it.

I don’t think it’s very nice of you to spread around rumours that all the nice corporate executives are conspiring to force the Amero onto us, but there you have it.

I’ll take your word for it, though–and I respect your decision not to post what you say you know online.

[quote=“eccentric”]
I’ll take your word for it, though–and I respect your decision not to post what you say you know online. [/quote]

Is this sarcasm? Or are you just affording Bubba the benefit of doubt that you denied Council Watch during previous threads about municipal politics?

Council Watch never gives any proof for his claims, and refuses to present it when asked. He’s also been found to be incorrect sometimes.

Bubbasteve is apparently related to someone employeed at the Daily, and since she hasn’t denied it I assume it’s true. With that in mind, I see no reason not to take her word for it when the only counterarguments are from people merely speculating.

You guys have me in hysterics over here.

Yes, I am related to someone working at the daily news.
Yes I do know exactly what went on there, and why. But again, it is none of my buisness what so ever. Eventually, it might be okay for me to say something about it, or maybe Earl himself will join us and put all speculation aside. I know he’s reading this. HI EARL!! Everybody wave to the person you’re all spreading rumors about!!! Oh this is so funny!!

Next, the rumor will be that aliens have brainwashed the publisher, and everyone above him… Or they put mind controll pills in everyones soup… And that’s why the news paper is going down.  :unamused: