Customs?

Does anyone have any advice for bringing a 2008 Chevy Tahoe, and a 2000 GMC Jimmy across the border when I move there??? I hear the requirements are different? Any other tips for getting in at the border?

cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/menu-eng.html

Also (I’m assuming you are going to the US) A friend of mine could not insure his Honda Integra there as the Canadian version did not have the required safety standards for Phoenix Arizona, Check the State you are moving too.

I think he is moving from the States to here. Right?

Make sure they have daytime running lights :wink:

Man, it is so weird driving in the US with very few DRLs.

DRLs aren’t legally mandated in Canada, they’re just legally mandated for the manufacturers (or importers).  I don’t think there’s any rule that says your car must have DRLs – I know someone who disconnected his so that he could idle his car on cold winter nights with the lights off (the handbrake trick didn’t work).

Go to www.riv.ca  They list what cars are and are not allowedinto the country and what steps you need to take to get them registered here ( paper work, inspections, etc.)

I find it hard to believe a Canadian car didn’t make Arizona standards. More like a grouchy Yank who wanted them to buy a car in Arizona.
If you bring a car into Canada you have to put in DRLs. I can’t believe how many I see without them. especially on my last trip to Terrace coming out of the pissy fog/rain with no DRLs. If there is no law against disabling them, there should be!
I worked for companies than would give you a day off for driving a company vehicle with the headlights off (anytime) since back in the late 70s.

[quote=“herbie_popnecker”]
If you bring a car into Canada you have to put in DRLs. I can’t believe how many I see without them. especially on my last trip to Terrace coming out of the pissy fog/rain with no DRLs. If there is no law against disabling them, there should be![/quote]

Actually, you don’t need to put in DRLs unless you’re a commercial importer of new vehicles. 

If he is bringing his vehicle into BC when he goes to purchase insurance and register it in BC he must get a provincial vehicle inspection. He should see a provincial inspection facility to see what the requirements are to pass. Almost all vehicle repair centers including the dealerships can perform this inspection.

?? I know a couple people who brought in 2001 & 2002 cards and they made them do the DRL mod. I know they’re strictly enforcing it on brand new US vehicles bought private, they had a big fuss over one mfg who said on CBC only the “dealer mod” for $5000 would not void the warranty. He was claiming they had to change out half the dash to do DRL and switch to kms.

Dunno bout all that bullshit, friend of mine in Rupert recently bought a 1998 camaro with an LT1, fucking demon of a car, real beauty but its all in mph, no DRL or any of that shit, he went to the states to buy it and I have had a few rides in it and it has bc plates on it so if the inspection or not is mandatory I dont know but DRL and speedo in km’s didnt seem to matter.