Cullen muzzled at hearings...cant speak for his constituents

cbc.ca/news/canada/british-c … aring.html

I am all for a democratic process…but would appear that that our MP, a candidate for leader of the NDP cannot speak on behalf of his constituents…

I was all for the pipe line…but i just have a sour taste in my mouth now that the democracy we live in wants to silent a speaker … it would appear that this is a done deal…

someone contact leebo ludwig…

cbc.ca/news/canada/british-c … aring.html

I am all for a democratic process…but would appear that that our MP, a candidate for leader of the NDP cannot speak on behalf of his constituents…

I was all for the pipe line…but i just have a sour taste in my mouth now that the democracy we live in wants to silent a speaker … it would appear that this is a done deal…

someone contact leebo ludwig…

I would’ve supported the pipeline if the whole process on the project had taken placed without:

• Enbridge involved
  • Harper Government involved
  • Undemocratic tactics and dirty politics involved

Don’t worry about China getting pissed off; I love to see Harper get chided by a Chinese Premier again, which was awesome and satisfying. lol

That Wiebo guy look like Karl Marx in a lumberjack outfit btw.

Shitty all around.

Good summary here: opinion250.com/blog/view/233 … nce+rupert

“When Enbridge lawyers said Mr. Cullen should not be speaking on behalf of First Nations, Ms. Peterson shouted, “He’s one of us. He can speak,” at which point she left the room out of frustration.”

Asking the RCMP to eject a person in traditional regalia? Are these guys idiots, or just naive? Don’t they realize that their behaviour just forces people on the fence to go against the pipeline?

Cullen: “The way a company conducts itself with a community in advance of a project is also indicative of maybe how they will conduct themselves with the community after the project is in the ground, if you follow my line of reasoning.”

This process is as legitimate as citywest’s process for determining they did not require data services. It’s pretty obvious what enbridge is up to, they only want natives to speak so that people assume its just a bunch of ‘indians’ that are causing issues because they want some money.

I really hope the natives don’t take a buyout on this because the rest of us arent being consulted so the bands need to be the voice for the rest of us. I hope the bands arent just out for some money and actually stand up and say no for the rest of us who are being ignored.

[quote=“jesus”]This process is as legitimate as citywest’s process for determining they did not require data services. It’s pretty obvious what enbridge is up to, they only want natives to speak so that people assume its just a bunch of ‘indians’ that are causing issues because they want some money.

I really hope the natives don’t take a buyout on this because the rest of us arent being consulted so the bands need to be the voice for the rest of us. I hope the bands arent just out for some money and actually stand up and say no for the rest of us who are being ignored.[/quote]

If the money is right the bands will sell, I have no doubt about that.

no bands will sell, for any amount of money, i believe that.

Metlakatla told Enbridge that their culture is not for sale.

Great. Now hopefully they stick with it… because the 0’s will keep on appearing on the cheque.

Well they are offering the First Nations equity positions, not necessarily cash. So a part ownership of the company. So if there’s a environmental disaster, then hey, the First Nations are legally liable too.

Shitty deal.

[quote=“MiG”]Well they are offering the First Nations equity positions, not necessarily cash. So a part ownership of the company. So if there’s a environmental disaster, then hey, the First Nations are legally liable too.

Shitty deal.[/quote]

Unless of course they sell out their share which for the less fortunate bands would likely be the case. Regardless enbridge will keep adding numbers until they get the result they are looking for. Hopefully sanity prevails but everyone has their price and with the amount of money this is worth to enbridge they might just find it.

Cullen was not muzzled. He got exactly what he wanted. A 30 second media clip and a bunch of people talking about how he got muzzled.

The hearing he attended was to allow individuals present “oral history”. Cullen was not presenting oral history and he, quite rightly, was politely told to shut up by the moderator. The Enbridge Hearings are following a prescribed process. Without a defined process, it will be a gong show. Mind you that is what the NDP want - they don’t want you to actually start thinking.

There will be a time later in the hearings for the arguments regarding scientific studies, etc. Right now the stage of the hearing was to allow people to provide oral history.

Whether one agrees with the pipeline or disagrees, one should allow the process to unfold. Turning it into a gong show does not assist anyone to come to a reasoned judgement. However, if the hearings turn into a gong show, it will be pretty easy for the government of the day, to ignore outcome of the process.

And no, I have not yet made up my mind about whether I think it is a good thing for Canada to do or not.

Anyone who has seen, how Enbridge dealt with the Michigan spill, the phony clean up, the cancer, the polluted water, etc, and can still support this pipeline needs a kick in the genitals. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzAcqQI81NI