Cruise Ship

Yeah so I forgot that it was coming today or else I would have gotten my camera back from Ryan.
I was gonna post pics of it. It looks so big here but it’s nothing compared to Ketchican(excuse if not spelt right).

I still have to post pics of the Marmet that Ryan took. He feeds it hot dogs.
It looks like a beaver with no tail.

Ok so back to Cruise Ship, what are peoples opinions on it?

Oh man, a large rodent lookign thing ran out infront of my car, in that area the other day… It was pretty fat, perhaps the same beast?

Shhhh!! Don’t tell Ryan! He’s heart broken enough with the Flames winning’n’all.

That boat is HUGE! I’d like to travel around on something like that someday.

There were seriously over 100 people in the upper mall parking lot watching the ship come into the harbour, and when it passed and sat infront of the mall for a few minutes, people were waving away and kids were jumping up and down.

Not to mention the hundreds of people that were in Mariners Park or Cow Bay when the boat was docking. It was nice to feel like there was something people were looking forward to seeing… instead of just the same old crap everyday.

[quote=“Lemrac”]I still have to post pics of the Marmet that Ryan took. He feeds it hot dogs.
It looks like a beaver with no tail.

[/quote]

dude its going to taste like shit when you go to eat him now.

the view of the area from mariners park is way better now, i dig the lack of trees.

I took a few pics :

http://hackingthemainframe.com/coppermine/index.php?cat=10150

Yep me too. I like being able to see the water and the mountains from the street now.

Fireworks don’t look as cool when it’s still light out.

I agree.

So much for the Cow Bay tourist attractions… How stupid was that? Sounds like this same ship will be stopping here on a weekly basis, so it’s not a huge loss.

Did you get any good night shots Hoshq? I was going to setup a tripod at the end of Graham, but everyone and their dog was already there.

[quote=“orangetang”]So much for the Cow Bay tourist attractions… How stupid was that? Sounds like this same ship will be stopping here on a weekly basis, so it’s not a huge loss.

Did you get any good night shots Hoshq? I was going to setup a tripod at the end of Graham, but everyone and their dog was already there.[/quote]

Well from what I saw today, the town did a pretty good job of accomadating all the people that came off the ship. There were busses taking people all over the place including the Cannery Museum, taxi’s taking people on tours, everyday Average Joe’s mingling with the tourists, and the town just generally being happy.

I don’t agree that the cruise ships will be a huge surge to Rupert’s economy, but it will be a nice change from the bus tours, train, and ferry folk that we usually get every summer.

Plus… it looks freakin cool seeing a ship like that come into the harbour.

On the other hand, I might be missing more softball games this year due to the damn ships coming in on wednesday, thursday, and friday nights. Guess who gets to work nights now?

The best part was the guy on the ship playing O Canada on a trumpet… just before they left. It felt like the hockey game was about to start.

Took a few pictures too:

tinyurl.com/24bwz

Also, took a ride on the tourist train yesterday (paid $10 yesterday for what a bunch of tourists paid US$89 for today!)

Photos here:

tinyurl.com/2vnml

haha my gf is working for that train and so is my uncle…

http://menino.com/photos/displayimage.php?album=84&pos=9
Thats My uncle :stuck_out_tongue:

What’s the tourist train and where does it travel to/from?

From the Kwinitsa station to Tyee point and back. Open-air car, lots of comfortable seats, and they go slow at the interesting bits. Really cool.

It was a real carnival atmosphere yesterday. I talked to a few of the folks off the ship, as well as the pilot that brought the cruiser in and the the one that was going to take it out. Those guys have pretty cool jobs.

This is what it must have been like when the first train came into Rupert. Anyone seen the old pics of the huge crowds down by the old CN station?

The few that I talked to said it was one of the better stops on the trip. The other stops they felt like they were just being herded to various attractions and didnt get to interact with many of the locals.

But here they just got to go into town and just walk around and mingle. If they wanted they could have gone on a few tours and such but many just like the aspect of being able to walk around and talk with local people.

Quite a few of the people that work on the ship came into the mall yesterday, and they were most happy to be walking on land again. I was surprised that many people made it to the mall… I was sure everyone was going to stay in Cow Bay or go out on tours.

Some charter guys are lucky… they took some people out for MEGA BUCKS for a couple hours, caught 4 fish, and all they took was pictures.

Sounded to me like the construction zone blocking off the road to Cow Bay kept a lot of tourists away form that area. I don’t believe there were any indicators or shuttle services to the Cow Bay area, so I think a lot of them had no idea it was even there.

I think the cruise ships are good for the economy of Rupert, but I don’t think I could ever do this kind of traveling. Way too many people on board one of those huge Mega ships. I like getting closer to nature, away from people. I wonder what attracts folks to cruise ships, any ideas?