Criminal telephone scams

they called again the next day, I didn’t answer I was on my way out. Yesterday they called 7 times, every hour from 6am onward. I didn’t pick up. Never left messages. They must have Fridays off,
They did send another paper bill to her in the mail too.

I guess they’re hoping she’s somehow resurrected

1 Like

Lately we’ve had a lot of calls on our landline. The sales agent is always asking for my wife. She claims to be calling from MasterCard. She calls on a daily basis, sometimes twice daily. I’m retired, old, don’t have a life. Today I was mildly bored and decided to call up MasterCard. They don’t have a record of multiple calls to our landline. Grrrrrr. I plan to have fun the next time she calls. :slight_smile:

1 Like

MasterCard? OMG I didn’t know the scammers even know that exists. I only have ever got calls about the Visa card I don’t have being charged $1400 for an iPhone somewhere in Asia.
Was bored one day and answered a survey on my landline. They’ve been calling daily for months for me to claim the “prize” I won.
Plus I think President Biden is calling for my advice. There were seven missed calls on the list from “United States” but no messages.

2 Likes

“Hello this is Visa calling to let you know that you have $300.00 purchase on ebay and a one thousand dollar foreign money transfer. If you would like to speak to a representative about these transactions please press one”
I’m not sure which is more annoying, the call, or the fact that I logged into my Visa account to check on things. Haha

1 Like

Started not answering until after the 3rd ring. If no one answers right away when I say hello I hang up. Robocall.
Looks like they started using what collection agencies use.Last week no one answered so I hung up. It instantly rang again. Did it a couple times until I left it off hook while I went to the can and then hung up.
Learned a few tricks from guys trying to collect corporate debts from employees and ‘accumulated interest’ from people that died.

1 Like

Scammer: “I am calling from Telus to offer you a new data plan, since you’re a loyal Telus customer.”

Me: “I’m not a Telus customer. What makes you think that?”

Scammer: “Ok, I’m offering you a plan for 20 GB/month of data for $49.”

Me: “My current data plan is unlimited 5G (throttled after 40GB), and I pay $21/month.”

Scammer: “What? No, that’s impossible.”

Me: “Yeah, you’re right, with auto-pay, referrals, and loyalty bonuses, it’s usually even less than $21 per month.”

(actually, because of how rewards played out, my bill in December was negative $6. They actually owed me $6 for the month.)

Scammer: “Silence.”

Me: “Well, unless you have anything else to offer, then I think we’re done.”

Scammer: “How about a free phone?”

Me: “I’m using an iPhone 15 Plus right now, what can you offer.”

Scammer: " … "