Cow Bay Bridge Closure

:exclamation: Just thought I’d let people know. :exclamation:

The Cowbay Bridge will be closed to all truck traffic immediately and all vehicle traffic as of Wednesday, December 14, 2005 until further notice.

The annual inspection has found structural deficiencies in several critical support timbers. Therefore the bridge must remain closed until repairs can be made.

I think we should still allow people to drive over it, make it like a game of chicken. The way it would work is there would a toll booth and when it finally collapses, the person whose car goes in the drink gets half of the money collected from the toll, with the other half going towards the new bridge.

I think we need to look at having a temporary ferry like they have in Usk.

Im not sure that the Usk ferry would fit into that gap. Perhaps two 2x4’s and a sheet of plywood?

Ramps. '69 Chargers painted orange. Problem fixed.

a jump and you get an insane stunt bonus if you make it and dont get wasted!

Why don’t they just fill in that slag hole and be done with it? A bridge over an intertidal mud pit? Pssh.

Well if they posted a proper sign up as they were closing it off would have been nice…I guess just as they started, I drove down there, on my lunch break to do errands, so I am in a rush: Not impressed I had to waste an extra 5 minutes turning around to get downtown because they didn’t put a sign up yet! Arrg. Knowing the was the city fixes things around here, it will be months until the bridge is done. I liked driving that way :frowning:

Hey…it has to be done. There was a front page ad in the Daily News the day before it closed and signs were posted very quickly up by Certified welding, although they aren’t very big.

Best idea I’ve heard so far. Somewhere to put all of the crap from the port construction. Pave it over and the Cow Bay parking issue is solved.

I almost drove over those signs…

[quote=“fingahz”]

Best idea I’ve heard so far. Somewhere to put all of the crap from the port construction. Pave it over and the Cow Bay parking issue is solved.[/quote]

And kill all the baby sea creatures :astonished: how dare you!

[quote=“fingahz”]Hey…it has to be done. There was a front page ad in the Daily News the day before it closed and signs were posted very quickly up by Certified welding, although they aren’t very big.
[/quote]

Uh, you would had to have been someone who happened to come across a Daily News, free, and have had nothing better to read at the time, to have seen the ad.

I also don’t get the Daily News, you insensitive clod!

Do you mean you don’t get the Daily News, as in it doesn’t come to your door, or that you don’t “get it,” as in not being able to understand its contents? If it’s the latter, it’s quite understandable since so many of their stories are either overly long (continued on page three) or they end on unfinished sente

I don’t get it.

Uh, you would had to have been someone who happened to come across a Daily News, free, and have had nothing better to read at the time, to have seen the ad.[/quote]

It was a front page article and my point is that the city was diligent in notifying the public. Maybe not as quickly as some would like but you don’t plan ahead for an emergency bridge closure.

Uh, you would had to have been someone who happened to come across a Daily News, free, and have had nothing better to read at the time, to have seen the ad.

It was a front page article and my point is that the city was diligent in notifying the public. Maybe not as quickly as some would like but you don’t plan ahead for an emergency bridge closure.[/quote]

Diligent in notifying the public? The only reason I know about is because we’re discussing it on HTMF.

Eso wrote:

The city was diligent. Other than knocking on your front door and posting on HTMF they announced publicly what was going on. The newspaper is where notices of such events go. Its your choice whether you read it or not.

Maybe people have smarter things to read. I find our paper incredibly dull. Of course, as a half-intelligent and literate person, I will pick the paper up every now and then, just to notify myself about the new things happening in Prince Rupert; which are few. Those bastards decided to close off the bridge on one of those days I decided not to pick up the paper…lol.

That ‘slag hole’ use to be much bigger than it is - and was home to no less than 5 boatyards. Half of it has already been filled in to make a parking lot. In fact, that little ‘slag hole’ is the only ‘natural’ formation along the north side of Kaien Island - the rest of it having been blasted and filled by CN.

The archives have some pictures of the area before the bridge became a road (where the boardwalk in front of Cowpuccino’s is). That mud flat (technically, it is not actually called a ‘slag hole’) use to be twice the size it is now.

I realize this forum may not be populated by people who consider intertidal life to be of any value - can’t blame ya’ you grew up in Prince Rupert, after all. But that area also has a fabulous history that should be bragged about. How many boats were built there? How many jobs created? How many families supported?

Of course, nobody has any way of knowing thiss, unless we got some signage out…

But I guess you would all rather see it filled in - oh, hey…I got it…the landfill is almost full…