Council votes unanimously to oppose Enbridge Pipeline

The Prince Rupert City Council voted unanimously on Monday night to formally oppose the Enbridge Northern Gateway Pipeline, making it the third northern BC local government to do so over the past few weeks.

The council has adopted the same resolution that the Skeena-Queen Charlotte Regional District (SQCRD) did over a week ago.

“Therefore, be it resolved that the City of Prince Rupert be opposed to any expansion of bulk crude oil tanker traffic as well as bitumen export in Dixon Entrance, Hecate Strait and Queen Charlotte Sound in British Columbia.

“And be it further resolved that the City of Prince Rupert petition the federal government to establish a legislated ban on bulk crude oil tanker traffic and bitumen export through the Dixon Entrance, Hecate Strait and Queen Charlotte Sound in British Columbia.”

thenorthernview.com/news/140677853.html

What’s with the timing of both city’s announcements of their official opposition? Zero fanfare and zero effectiveness.

Once again I find it interesting that the writer of the Northern View article assumes the Mayor only votes if there is a tie. In last nights meeting,if the Mayor didn’t register a negative vote then he in fact voted for the resolution,thus making it unanimous. The Mayor’s vote is always recorded one way or the other.

Update: Enbridge sends its response to the decision.

thenorthernview.com/news/140757623.html

I love the ? Troll in their response. Fuck enbridge

The Rupert Daily has a poll regarding Enbridge. Vote to see the results, rupertdaily.ca/cgi-bin/show_home.cgi

x

Why would we allow a pipeline and let Alberta and Endgridge use our waters for tankers and get a vast majority of the profit, when we have our own BC oil in the Hecate Straits. I would never support that either but would be a lot better than what is proposed now.

^This.

I love the Enridge response. It’s OK for the federal government to give it the thumbs up but we peasants should wait until all the facts are in.

Update: Smithers council decides to join the club.

interior-news.com/news/140904483.html