Council Meeting last night - Mussallem is ridiculous!

Come back Herb Pond, all is forgiven

I was thinking of doing a Lady Gaga “Bad Romance” remix of NO YOU MAY NOT… buuuuutttt, just for that minute-and-a-half Tetris Remix I made it took a lot of effort.

[quote=“Bettyboop86”]
Speakuppr, whether or not Mr. Mussallem runs in the next election, I will definitely not be voting for him. I do regret my vote in the last election. I honestly thought he had it together and gave him a chance, but guess what? He blew it! I am very dissatisfied with the way he treats women, no wonder he remains to be single. Hopefully the citizens will have candidates that come forward for the position who’s interest is for improving the quality of life for the community and not just for their own interests.[/quote]

Frankly, I’ve no opinion on how he treats women and I’m sure the one he’s chosen to berate is more than able to give it back to him as good as she gets. What concerns me is the disrespect for a citizen that has done so much for Prince Rupert and the unwillingness to negotiate a useful solution to an issue that many citizens care about. From what I’ve observed, the citizens of Rupert care about recycling and they are caught between a council that keeps ramping up landfill costs to outrageous levels and reduced hours of operation at the “Greener” alternative. I’ve never seen Jack out at the recycling depot on a Saturday nor for that matter many of the other council members. This isn’t to say they don’t recycle but perhaps they are fortunate enough to have flex schedules that allow them to drop their recycling off during other hours.

I think this shows his negotiating style and I strongly suspect and fear this it is the same high handed and undiplomatic approach that lead the city to become embroiled in a lawsuit on the Watson Island property.

Your last line is the most telling as for too long this city has been governed by special interest groups and city managment that operates solely in a self interest mode. The entrenched self interest groups and incompetent bureaucracy at city hall is long overdue to be swept clean.

[quote=“CharlesMHays”]

Come back Herb Pond, all is forgiven[/quote]

Codybear933 - Agree but it’s not just the present bunch that created this mess and there are some on council that are trying to dig us out of this hole.

CharlesMHays… NOT

[quote=“Speakuppr”]

… What concerns me is the disrespect for a citizen that has done so much for Prince Rupert and the unwillingness to negotiate a useful solution to an issue that many citizens care about. From what I’ve observed, the citizens of Rupert care about recycling and they are caught between a council that keeps ramping up landfill costs to outrageous levels and reduced hours of operation at the “Greener” alternative. I’ve never seen Jack out at the recycling depot on a Saturday nor for that matter many of the other council members. This isn’t to say they don’t recycle but perhaps they are fortunate enough to have flex schedules that allow them to drop their recycling off during other hours.

I think this shows his negotiating style and I strongly suspect and fear this it is the same high handed and undiplomatic approach that lead the city to become embroiled in a lawsuit on the Watson Island property.

Your last line is the most telling as for too long this city has been governed by special interest groups and city management that operates solely in a self interest mode. The entrenched self interest groups and incompetent bureaucracy at city hall is long overdue to be swept clean. [/quote]

Speakuppr, you are correct about the lack of really showing the area about being “Greener.” I am unsure who on council utilizes the recycling facility. I was out there Saturday just after 12 pm and it was very busy and messy. The two fellows were doing their best trying to keep the bins moving but there were also little ones with their parents/grandparents learning about recycling and it was nerve racking that a little one did not get hurt (with bins moving and people trying to sort out the goods. I commend those who do recycle and can we do more? Of course as we see it on the media and labels of goods to recycle.

Not sure if you heard, but renewed contract of Gordie Howie, so not much will change at City Hall. As for some councilors are trying I can see that, but really, those who have been there for many terms, not sure they will just move on and let those who want to make changes get in.

Can someone help me understand why Mr. Mussallem does not want Jean Martin on the Waste Management Committee? Rumor has it that he has asked another citizen to let their name stand on the committee.

I was told that Jean has followed the process Mr. Mussallem requested, she has submitted her request to be on the committee and has the support of the Prince Rupert Environmental Society (they also submitted a letter requesting Jean Martin as the rep). Does anyone have the terms of reference for the Regional District for the committee?

[quote=“Bettyboop86”]Can someone help me understand why Mr. Mussallem does not want Jean Martin on the Waste Management Committee? Rumor has it that he has asked another citizen to let their name stand on the committee.

I was told that Jean has followed the process Mr. Mussallem requested, she has submitted her request to be on the committee and has the support of the Prince Rupert Environmental Society (they also submitted a letter requesting Jean Martin as the rep). Does anyone have the terms of reference for the Regional District for the committee?[/quote]

It’s obviously more about a personal issue he has than selecting the right candidate for the job. Life in Rupert’s Village Hall continues as it always has.

I will have a montage for you all in a few days

ah dJ, do tell!!

Maybe it would be unseemly for Mr Mussallem to kick Mrs. Martin, in the a$$, and is hoping for
someone on whom that behaviour would be more appropriate.

After much thought, and reading other posts and complaints about our mayor, I have decided that any time, anybody gets shot down by our mayor, I will refer to it as "X got the Jack!"
In this case it fits perfectly, Ms Martin, "She got the Jack!"
I am not good at video editing but the opportunity is there to put something cool together.

Well I thought dJ would tell but guess not. However; I did talk to Jean and she indicated she received a call from the Regional District and with the support of the Prince Rupert Environmental Society and the directors, Mrs. Jean Martin is on the Waste Management Committee. Yahoo… hopefully more will get done!!!

With Jean’s knowledge from the beginning of the Recycling, hopefully they will listen to what has been tried and has not worked and move forward to making our City truly Green!!! :smile:

Congratulations Mrs. Jean Martin and thank you for your commitment to making our City a nicer place to live!!!

[quote=“Bettyboop86”]

Well I thought dJ would tell but guess not. However; I did talk to Jean and she indicated she received a call from the Regional District and with the support of the Prince Rupert Environmental Society and the directors, Mrs. Jean Martin is on the Waste Management Committee. Yahoo… hopefully more will get done!!!
With Jean’s knowledge from the beginning of the Recycling, hopefully they will listen to what has been tried and has not worked and move forward to making our City truly Green!!! :smile:Congratulations Mrs. Jean Martin and thank you for your commitment to making our City a nicer place to live!!![/quote]

Congratulations and a big thanks to Jean Martin and the Prince Rupert Environmental Society for their dedication. Nice to know the Jack Asses in our midst won’t deter much needed volunteers.

3 members from council are to go to China next month, something that was arranged with the previous Economic Developer, she will be joining them and be a big help to those who are going. I heard that Jack will not be going. Does any one know why not? The three that are going will be good reps for the City for sure.

Will the names of the three council members that will be going be made public, or is that a ‘personnel matter’ that cannot be disclosed?

While information and metrics to assess the worth of initiatives is not in vogue at City Hall, I’d be interested in knowing who they are meeting with, what the agenda is, what they hope to accomplish and what the cost to the taxpayers is going to be.

Frankly sending three councillors in place of the Mayor seems a bit rich but after witnessing the Mayor’s public performances since he came to office, I suppose we should be grateful he’s not going to represent the City.

Yes indeed, those are other topics that the council might consider disclosing to the public, assuming of course that the city’s interests would not be harmed by telling the city’s citizens what the council will be doing on our behalf.

he might not like to travel because of profiling, ie: any one looking muslim

It would seem free vacation season is upon us. I’m sure lots of work and little sight seeing will be done whilst in china, lots of business lunch/dinners as well.

From what I hear there is only two councillors going to China, Kinney and Garon. The taxpayers of the city are, apparently, not on the hook for the cost of the trip. The money for the trip is coming from China, be it from the state, our sister city, or some trade and/or shipping group. I’m sure the city will be picking up some costs, just not the majority of them.

Thanks for the information but I’d feel better with an official statement from a city representative that outlined the purpose, agenda and costs etc. If a private corporation or shipping group is picking up the tab I think we all should know exactly who is paying for a junket and what their expectations are for payback.