Continuing on Ruperts Outlook

Is rupert losing money, of course.
Will the gain it back…depends on the big five people of prince rupert and their small bussiness and the mayor. The superport is the heart now of prince rupert along with the waterfront boasts 3500 new jobs. Thats not really the issue…the issue is, everyone spends their money outside of rupert, want clothes go to terrace. Want cheaper food and more resturants go to terrace, hell sometimes to see a better movie first, go to terrace. If you want Rupert to boom, you might need some chains in your town or cheaper prices at the smaller bussiness to keep your clients intown. with Employment comes growth so let growth come here…, don’t push it away like in recent years.

[quote=“RicardoGoncalves”]Is rupert losing money, of course.
Will the gain it back…depends on the big five people of prince rupert and their small bussiness and the mayor. The superport is the heart now of
[/quote]

Who are the big 5 of Rupert? I kind of know where you are coming from with that statement w/regards to names but I dont think its as true today as it was 20 or 30 yrs ago. They have sold off or closed many of their interests in the last 5+ yrs.

Why do you say rupert gaining depends on the big 5 of rupert? No I think it depends on who or what wants to invest in Rupert. Those that see possiblity that they can invest here and prosper.

There once was, once upon a time, people here that probably did hold influence, but hey they get old, retire, close their businesses and move away.

Also it depends on council, not the mayor for things to happen. The mayor holds some say but the council holds more than he does.

[quote]
resturants go to terrace, hell sometimes to see a better movie first, go to terrace. If you want Rupert to boom, you might need some chains in your town or cheaper prices at the smaller bussiness to keep your clients intown. [/quote]

If I want to eat in a resturant I’ll stay in Rupert thank you. Rupert has much better eateries than Terrace does. All Terrace has is that one place, don diegos. There is the golden something or rather, one chinese place, the hotels (one of which has a whitespot, which to is not not really a whitespot IMO) They have two, count’em two A&W’s…most of what terrace has is chain places to eat.

Zorba’s is a great place, the Sri Lankan food is awesome. CowBay Cafe…need I say more? Vietnamese food, ok a few pizza joints, few chinese but all pretty decent places to eat. And a new place opening up in the next month. Its going to be a funky place.

As for everything else like clothes…well you know what my daughter calls Walmart? The “made in china store”. Once she learned to read she noticed everything is made in China. I dislike walmart a lot.

Rupert does not need chain stores. Sure it would be nice to have one or two but there is no room for big box type stores here. Nor do they seem to want to move here. Population base is much smaller than Terrace. Terrace draws from other place, kitimat, stewart, Nass valley etc.

You mention movies…there is 3 screens here, they have 2. But comparing which place gets better movies… that is not a valid comparison IMO.

Rupert is a very cosmopolitan place to live. Terrace is just a bunch of rednecks compared to Rupert. I think there is a more diverse population here in Rupert than Terrace. Being a port city we see more people from around the world here in Rupert than I would think Terrace gets.

I’ll not forget the time I met some Russsian fellows that were here in the late '88. They were off a large fish boat. Some buddies and I spent about half the day and most of the night at the Belmont with them…lol. We later called it a diplomatic mission… :smile:

Thats my .02 on this…Rupert will grow again, will be bigger and better but it will take some time and will not happen overnight, but I believe it will happen.

After living in PR for 18 yrs and then Terrace for just less than 2, I have to say that I agree with you on most things. Terrace does have a lot of chain restaurants (which is nice once in a while) but they really don’t have anything else. Want a pizza? You have 2 choices: Pizza Hut or Canadian. Canadian SUCKS, so you really have only 1 option!!! They have 3 Timmy’s too, which is gross overkill!!! They don’t have any small, family run restaurants which severely limits your options. I happen to LOVE Walmart because of it’s affordably prices (groceries there are usually 20%-30% cheaper than Extra Foods/Wholesale Club) and they have good service, a wide variety, and decent products. They make it more affordable for me to buy the things I need, and so that’s why I shop there. Oh, and it’s true that the people in Terrace are all mostly sluts or rednecks. Just visit Thornhill. Glad I’m outta there too!

Calling people who live in Terrace rednecks is very stereotypical. What makes people who live less than 200 km away from a place so different?? It is like you are comparing England to China or something, haha.
And as for shopping at Walmart, I was thinking the exact thing Lady Kaboo was, I want to spend the least amount of money when possible. So why on earth would I want to buy clothing at a small store in Prince Rupert at prices three or four times as much as I would in a dept. store or franchise???
And why is it such a big deal that the items are being made in China??

Hmm… I have heard many different opinions about that shopping in Terrace thing, tonnes of controversy around it; personally, I don’t really care, but when people always shop in Terrace and then complain that there are “no good stores” here, well, that’s just stupid.

Whoa, a ramble and run-on sentence, all in one.

Prudence, why don’t you show by example instead of preaching
Today you wrote:

But in another thread you also wrote:

8)

[quote=“BigThumb”]Prudence, why don’t you show by example instead of preaching
Today you wrote:

But in another thread you also wrote:

8)[/quote]

I never meant to preach, I was just saying it was a harsh accusation. And as for surrey comment, I was joking around. I doubt he was joking when he called terrace people rednecks.