Container ship

Here s some pics from the container port

[original attachment deleted after 2 years]

Hey, thanks for those pics.

Awesome photos, thanks.

How many containers on the ship?  How long did it take to unload?  Are the containers waterproof :wink:

I think I read 5500 containers.

I wonder if anyone knows how long is the train that can take that many containers to Prince George for unstuffing? Next - I wonder how long it would take that train to get passed the level crossing on the highway?

My dad went to Terrace today and passed a train of containers. He didn’t count the cars, but he did count the cars that were sitting in the new siding track at Salvas. 176 I think? He seemed to think that was about the same amount of cars he passed on the moving train. Double stack 176 isn’t very many at a time if there is indeed over 3000 on the ship.

Very cool pics, thanks for sharing.

Found this on the net tonight from Prince George.

The ship will be fully unloaded by Friday, with containers already on the way to Chicago… :smile:

Container impact ‘so big’, says mayor  (0)    [Back]< Prev  |  Next > 
(News) Thursday, 01 November 2007, 09:04 PST 
MARK NIELSEN Citizen staff     
Prince Rupert’s ship may have arrived but Prince George will have to wait a while longer before its train comes in.

The Cosco Antwerp, capable of holding up to 2,750 40-foot containers, began unloading at Prince Rupert’s new Fairview container terminal on Wednesday.

A CN Rail container train capable of carrying up to 365 containers was there to pick up the load for its 105-hour trip to Chicago. Another two trains slated to depart today and Friday will handle the Antwerp’s remaining cargo.

But CN spokeswoman Kelli Svendsen said the impact on Prince George won’t be felt until those trains make their trip back to Prince George and stop at the new intermodal terminal.

“It’s backhaul. The train doesn’t stop in Prince George on the way to Chicago because that’s the advantage of the port being in Prince Rupert,” Svendsen said. “The advantage of Prince George is that on the way back, the train stops and will be loaded with containers from the area destined for Asia through Prince Rupert.”

Svendsen did not have more details on when the first train will stop in Prince George and the kinds of items the containers from this region will carry.

“Currently, we’re still discussing with customers around the intermodal and distribution centre,” she said.

It’s expected those containers will be used to ship pulp and other bulk material at the outset, but Mayor Colin Kinsley predict bigger things to come over the coming years.

“It is so big, I don’t think people realize how big it’s going to be,” Kinsley said. “It can lead to such a diversification in the economy, first being transportation logistics. Specialty grains coming out of the Peace River trucked here and shipped to Asia. More specialized wood products – some of the pine beetle wood that’s been naturally drying out in the forest being cut into cants (large blocks of wood) and put into containers and shipped off to Chinese furniture manufacturers.”

Kinsley sees the day when laminated wood products will be manufactured in Prince George for the Asian market, opening up big opportunities in the process.

“Right now, in the middle of the biggest fibre basket in the world, we don’t have glue-lam production,” he noted. "We don’t laminate veneer lumber, we don’t have parallel stand lumber, we don’t have lignum strand lumber, we don’t have any glue-lam. We could go much deeper into structural engineers wood products.

“There’s just so much that could be done and the information is out there and the market is growing, so I think we take this challenge of the mountain pine beetle infestation and turn it into an opportunity.”

And in answer to China’s demands for minerals, Kinsley even sees smelting in the city’s future.

“We’re shipping concentrate and such literally hundreds of thousands of miles for processing, and that can all be done in this region and put onto trains and sent out to Asia,” he said.

Asked about the impact of smelters on the city’s air quality, Kinsley said they would use best technology and located properly.

“I’ve seen incinerators for burning garbage where there’s no emissions, I’ve seen coal-generated electric plants where there’s no emissions,” he said. "I mean, it’s very, very expensive but the technology is there and what I’m saying is if we’re right on this incredible trade route and we’re in the middle of primary metal extraction and precious metal extraction, why aren’t we processing it here?

"I don’t mean in downtown Prince George, I don’t mean anywhere near the Bowl. There are areas where this can be accommodated and it can be accommodated because we have hydroelectric generation, we have the opportunity for bio-mass electricity generation, we have the water, we have natural gas, we have land.

“And any of that primary metal processing will lead to more manufacturing.”

Initiatives Prince George president Gerry Offet said IPG has been talking to a B.C. businessperson and a Chinese forestry company who plan to establish as a joint venture a small mill to resize wood products for shipment to Asia for further processing.

Prince Rupert is home to North America’s deepest harbour and is 58 hours closer to Asia than any other container terminal on the west coast.

The community of 15,000 people 720 kilometres west of Prince George has been added to the south loop of the Pacific North West Butterfly service jointly operated by Cosco Container Lines and Hanjin Shipping.

Hanjin is operating five vessels within the service, while Cosco has four. The nine ships can each load 5,500 TEUs (20-foot equivalent units). Modern containers are now 40 feet long.

The Hanjin London is next to dock at Fairview Terminal.

The recently-completed facililty can handle 500,000 TEUs a year and plans are in place to quadruple its size by 2011. The Port of Vancouver can handle 1.5 million TEUs a year.

[quote=“ThePodunkian”]
Very cool pics, thanks for sharing.
Prince Rupert is home to North America’s deepest harbour and is 58 hours closer to Asia than any other container terminal on the west coast.

The recently-completed facililty can handle 500,000 TEUs a year and plans are in place to quadruple its size by 2011. The Port of Vancouver can handle 1.5 million TEUs a year.[/quote]

That’s a new number - 58 hours closer? I thought it was 30 hours…whatever.

I heard a port logistics expert from Washington present that our types of cranes can move 40-60 thousand TEU per crane per year. That’s 120K - 180K TEU per year at phase one…

I am not trying to be a kill joy or nay sayer - but if we are to get any…I mean ANY…benefit from this port, we will need to be loud and fast in getting to those opportunities - and the infrastructure that is required to get any access to these opportunities.

I would have to agree with your point here podunk. There will be limited opportunity available to the region and lots of competition as a result of out economy. I think we must do whatever we can to ensure the maximum benifit stays here in the North Coast but yeah, time is of the essence.

Just for the sake of accuracy those were the comments of Become the change, he was posting a reply to my post, which basically just reprinted a PG Citizen story on the potential for Prince George.

That being said, I too hope we can find a way to become more than just the drop off and pick up spot for all these big boxes that are hurtling down the railway to Chicago.

I wonder if anyone in our little chit chat club here has been working down at  Fairview this week, if so would be interesting to learn how many hours they have received.  I’ve heard of a few folks that only got one shift and that’s it.  If the ship is emptied in two days and the final train leaves by the third, it leaves a few days in the week left without any work hours.

Anyways, I have no idea what its like there, so it would be interesting to hear some accounts of how the first arrival went. 

Yeah its not 58 hrs closer gang.

But do kill away …your right …I think its too late already.
I have an excellent idea for exporting canadian goods abroad.
Put on the thinking caps and try and cash in on the access to the most populous continent in the world.

[quote=“mcsash”]
I have an excellent idea for exporting canadian goods abroad.
Put on the thinking caps and try and cash in on the access to the most populous continent in the world. [/quote]

One big stumbling block here - what do we imagine that we can provide to any Asian market that they cannot produce themselves…at a fraction of the cost…

As long as we keep selling our raw natural resources for a song, they will continue to out-manufacture us. Their manufacturing sector has less to worry about in terms of environmental and workplace standards to meet.

As long as WE continue to shop at Walmart, Home Depot and (gasp I know this will get me blasted) Canadian Tire - then we will NEVER be able to buy a Canadian made iPod.

Many will argue that this is not what we should do anyway - but the very least we SHOULD do is value-add those resources. Remember, the iPod manufacturing chain starts in oil fields and copper mines…

Welcome to HTMF, craneman! :smiley:  Thanks for the crane shots.  Excellent! :sunglasses:

Wow those are awsome pictures
that looks like such a fun job

do you have any pictures of inside the control cabs of the rupert crains yet?

Nice pics, I am wondering if the people that work for longshore will be getting tested like the new hire’s are, I know for a fact that there’s a hell of alot of guys working there that only have grade 8 education,I know a few people that took the test some of them faild most of them passed , but the one’s that faild I would say can do that so called work better then most of the guys working there, this is the first time a longshore has tested to hire, it is bs considering how easy the work is, not too long ago vancouver higherd 200 people I think, they never did any bs testing, it was first in line gets the #, I have tryed to get a number in the past , the guy at the hall said sorry no #s  will be given out today, so I went home, but later a friend that works there said they did give 2 #s , guess who got the #s the jack ass in the union 's kids got it, on that day I was the first one there that morning. So I am waiting to get tested like every other chump, And I think it f##$%& bs 

PS. I dont care who’s toes I step on because my toes were already stepped on

cool

your job sounds fun, where can i submit a resume, im good at video games, its the same thing right?

Pretty amazing pics there. though I have to admit the one thing that runs through my mind when I see them is “bye. bye logs, bye, bye jobs”…

I was picking someone up at the bus in Hooterville when I saw a train roll through about 5:30 am.
A mile of flatcars stacked with Cosco containers headed to PG. Nice sight!  :smiley:
Last time I saw a train as long as that it was hauling raw logs out of our Forest District to be milled somewhere else.

i Have class 3 and my airbrakes can I drive one of those?..j/k but those are great pictures craneman, do you have to climb to the cab? I guess your not scarred of hights?.

Keep sending pictures there great!!