Container Ship runs aground in Prince Rupert

thenorthernview.com/news/180364571.html

A vessel destined for Prince Rupert’s Fairview Terminal ran aground late last night just outside of Prince Rupert Harbour on Nov. 20.

The 278 metre Hanjin Geneva became lodged on a sand bar past Ridley Island after it had to move to avoid a fishing vessel.

Were were the Pilots for this ship?

Always

Its not the pilots fault, the container ship had the right of way. The fishing vessel was at fault.

Of course this kind of thing would never happen with an oil tanker. They’re safe these days, and are crash-proof, right?

I doubt oil tankers would be entering our inner Harbour.

A little off topic but I find it some what strange that discussion regarding the pipeline has turned to Rupert as a destination instead of Kitimat to avoid bringing tankers through the Douglas channel. The risk is greater through the Skeena valley as far as I’m concerned.

According to this video they are safe hahahaha what a joke

youtu.be/LjhdOy6Pa4o

As are airplanes. Gonna take one anytime soon?

[quote=“crazy Horse”]

As are airplanes. Gonna take one anytime soon?[/quote]

Aeroplanes don’t house thousands of gallons of crude oil… Bit of a difference. Comparing an oil tanker crash to a plane crash is a bit ludicrous don’t you think?

Wait, oil tankers are as safe as airplanes?

[quote=“bubbasteve735”]

As are airplanes. Gonna take one anytime soon?

Aeroplanes don’t house thousands of gallons of crude oil… Bit of a difference. Comparing an oil tanker crash to a plane crash is a bit ludicrous don’t you think?[/quote]

No, I am just pointing out how ludicrous it is to fear something that is statistically rare. And that if base your opinions on fear, you might as well go all in. You are probably never going to die as a result of an oil spill, and the odds of dying in an auto accident are immensely more probable, yet people still drive, still cross the road. Hell just leaving your house puts you at risk. So all this nonsense of oil tankers and what might happen is simply fear mongering.

Well, I’m glad it’s all nonsense and the container ship really didn’t run aground because it was improbable. Whew.

On the contrary, a ship hit a sand bar and (wait for it) nothing happened. Imagine!

So wait, ships really do run aground? I’m confused, you said that it was improbable.

So now you’re saying that ships run aground, ok, got it. Hope you confirm this fact when people say that it never happens and it’s just fear mongering to say that ships run aground.

MIG,you are an idiot!!!

I wouldn’t say he’s an idiot. With the amount of rocky shore line we have around here, it’s amazing nothing happened with that container ship. Ships DO run aground. It CAN happen, it’s not fear mongering it’s fact. And going through life saying “everything is a risk so fuck it lets do what we want” is an absolutely absurd way to think of things. IF a ship can run aground, which it did, and luckily nothing was damaged, if it can, and there’s more than JUST the ship at risk, (ie shoreline, wildlife, entire ecosystems, fishermens livelyhood) Why would you take a chance? Why? The risk outweighs the benefit in my mind.

[quote=“MiG”]So wait, ships really do run aground? I’m confused, you said that it was improbable.

So now you’re saying that ships run aground, ok, got it. Hope you confirm this fact when people say that it never happens and it’s just fear mongering to say that ships run aground.[/quote]

Haha, your debating skills are suspect. You always resort to sarcasm, or incorrectly interpret what someone says (I think on purpose), instead of explaining your position based on either logic or fact.

That’s ok, we disagree. I guess these boards would be boring if we all saw things exactly the same.

[quote=“crazy Horse”]

As are airplanes. Gonna take one anytime soon?[/quote]

You haven’t watch Ice Pilots NWT.

[quote=“crazy Horse”]
That’s ok, we disagree. I guess these boards would be boring if we all saw things exactly the same.[/quote]

No we don’t. We both agree that the ship ran aground. Because, despite the odds, accidents do happen. Right?

Now those are suspect debating skills, Crazy Horse.

Saltybear are you really Bill Belsey, as someone suggested earlier? If not, I don’t know if that was an insult to you or Mr. Belsey.

Yes, of course accidents happen. That is why ICBC still insists I buy car insurance even though I haven’t had an accident in more than 30 years of driving. But based on the steady decline of tanker spills in the last 4o years, even with increased traffic and loads, plus the additional safeguards that are now in place, and the progress in technology (navigation, ship design etc.), I think the risk of an accident that results in a major spill is extremely low. So low that I am comfortable with tankers using BC ports.