Congratulations TheNorthernView.com

I just did a count of stories on a couple other local media sites. One of the radio stations had 6 local stories since oct 18, one of the other local web/print news sites had 11 stories which is pretty good. Then I counted the local content at www.thenorthernview.com and found 35 local stories since Oct. 18. That’s over 300% more local news than the nearest commercial competitor.

Congratulations to the the editorial team at the Northern View for providing Rupertites fast and current local news.

(Split to its own thread)

Congrats TheNorthernView.

HTMF had more than 2000 unique visitors from October 18-25, accounting for more than 8000 visits.

[quote=“photoguy”]I just did a count of stories on a couple other local media sites. One of the radio stations had 6 local stories since oct 18, one of the other local web/print news sites had 11 stories which is pretty good. Then I counted the local content at thenorthernview.com and found 35 local stories since Oct. 18. That’s over 300% more local news than the nearest commercial competitor.

Congratulations to the the editorial team at the Northern View for providing Rupertites fast and current local news.[/quote]

While its good that you are an enthusiastic supporter of the weekly newspaper, for the sake of balance lets not forget that during the recent wind storm and its aftermath the paper’s website was missing in action.

At a time when local residents most needed information, the Northern View site missed the opportunity to do what it is supposed to do, report the news and provide information. (Something that it suggested would be enhanced in the face of the loss of the Daily News)

Instead details of the incident and other noteworthy advisories afterwards seemed to not show up until after the long weekend. Now everyone deserves a break especially at Thanksgiving, but News is news after all. And considering it’s not all that hard to update a website it would seem that the place missed a golden opportunity to showcase what made it different from the recently departed Daily.

If we’re going to hand out accolades for such numbers as you quote, we must balance it with the other side of the coin when things don’t really go quite as well for the home side.

Probably used Citywest internet service.

[quote=“sandimas”]

Probably used Citywest internet service.[/quote]

Thanks for the vote of confidence sandimas, I wish that had been the case.
All we can do is try better in the future. There’s always a learning curve. On a positive note there’s going to be more than one person capable of updating the website in the immediate future, so that will go a long ways.

I think most people know I work at the Prince Rupert Northern View now and at the Daily before this. I still prefer reading a newspaper but am very happy with the immediacy of online content for those that have to know what’s going on all the time without having to wait for it. Before we started tinkering with online content at the Daily I was always jealous of some of the other options in town for news, HTMF and Podunkian included.

I’ll see if our editor can post some of our google analitcs on here. They’re a pretty interesting read.

Mig, those are great numbers. What’s the bounce rate? That’s one I haven’t heard of before.

Bounce rate is people who only view one page. ie: they check out the front page and don’t do anything else. They move on to another site. I don’t know if 25% is good or not.

As a comparison, themainframe.ca has an 84% bounce rate, because most of its traffic comes from Google. hackingthemainframe.com though, gets most of its traffic from direct traffic and bookmarks.

Here’s the last month of themainframe.ca – a lot less traffic than this site, but makes about the same amount on the ads, I’m told.

Cool, thanks for the explanation. I guess I’d be one of those. Check real quick for new comments if nothing is of interest leave. I’m here a few times a day. lol, you might even be able to track how often I’m here. Don’t tell anyone the real number.

How long does TheNorthernView keep articles online?

I notice that Jack Mussallem’s wonderful letter to the editor is nowhere to be found.

It used to be here bclocalnews.com/bc_north/the … 12022.html

That’s a good question that I should know. Once I find out for sure I’ll let you know.