Coast Tsimshian Resources plans $40 million mill in Terrace

A northwest forest company is on the verge of building a $40 million mill in Terrace to cut specialty-sized wood and to make pellets with what’s left over.

thenorthernview.com/news/133984053.html

More things NOT coming to Prince Rupert…woo lets celebrate…

We HAD one of those here. It didn’t make it, what makes them think the one in terrace would? And there was one in terrace at one point too, both went belly up. Is the economy so different now, that they figure it will work out?

No you didnt. A mill does not mean a pulp and paper mill. there are a large variety of mills. Also rupert was likely not an option for many reasons but you can be damn sure one of those reasons is the hostile short term greed before long term gain business environment.

[quote=“jesus”]

No you didnt. A mill does not mean a pulp and paper mill. there are a large variety of mills. Also rupert was likely not an option for many reasons but you can be damn sure one of those reasons is the hostile short term greed before long term gain business environment.[/quote]

Heh. My uncle worked at the custom cut sawmill out in the industrial park. And the mill that was in Terrace, was on the highway coming in. They’ve both been ripped apart. The stuff from here, was sent to China.

I hear the taxes are lower in Terrace.

Not to mention the bulk of the wood supply.

[quote=“bubbasteve735”]

No you didnt. A mill does not mean a pulp and paper mill. there are a large variety of mills. Also rupert was likely not an option for many reasons but you can be damn sure one of those reasons is the hostile short term greed before long term gain business environment.

Heh. My uncle worked at the custom cut sawmill out in the industrial park. And the mill that was in Terrace, was on the highway coming in. They’ve both been ripped apart. The stuff from here, was sent to China.[/quote]

This is not a sawmill

If it’s not a sawmill, then what is it?

[quote=“bubbasteve735”]

and to make pellets with what’s left over.

means we can easily adapt to a customer’s needs,” said Drury. “It won’t be a huge, huge, huge mill but it will be very specialized and be very flexible.”

If it’s not a sawmill, then what is it?[/quote]

A specialty mill is a sawmill that cuts lumber to customer specifications in specialty markets, which in practical terms these days means Asian markets, probably mostly in China, rather than cutting ‘dimension’ lumber (2X4, 2X6 etc) for the North American market. Sawdust, shavings and other ‘residue’ will be made into pellets, probably for sale in European markets for commercial heating (which is displacing coal fired electrical generation under the EU’s green energy policies). Making pellets has become an alternative to selling wood residue for pulp production, keeping in mind that there are no longer any pulp mills in the region and the nearest pulp mills are in PG, which is quite a ways away.

bubbasteve735 was correct, jesus there was a sawmill at the industrial site, this was back in 94 when it was first opened, the company that owed it was called WestFraser Timber Ltd, a friend of mine worked as a millright for a few months out there before it closed down…

Aslo there is this

e-princerupert.com/economy/w … sponse.htm

and this
Why Sell the Sawmill??

Numerous answers from people in the industry— the guys from Terrace are not into saw milling – it takes a certain culture

Another person looked at me incredulously when I asked “why burn up your capital’? Couldn’t you just leave it unused?

Taxes he said simply.

He mentioned some figure over 50T$ per month. Another source put it at 14T$/ per month. Get rid of the sawmill and the taxes go way down immediately.

Another source said this auctioneer is already giving out detailed bid sheets for the equipment
e-princerupert.com/economy/P … tioned.htm

The forest industry has indeed been through some tumultuous times in recent years but rather than focus on the negative and what once was, lets appreciate the fact that we may be on the cusp on a resurgence in the industry in BC. Our community may have a lot to gain if this wood is stuffed into containers and shipped back overseas. I recall when the port first opened that there was discussion around capitalizing on the potential to ship product back to China rather than jut sending empty containers. In my opinion, this is reason to celebrate rather than rehash the industry as it once was.

cbc.ca/news/canada/british-c … umber.html

That’s right, it was originally set up by Wedeene and when they had financial difficulties it was bought by West Fraser Timber. WFT definitely knows what they are doing - I believe that they are now the largest forest company in Canada and #2 in North America - but even they could not make a go of it. Sawmilling isn’t viable here and never really was, other than small mills cutting lumber back in the wooden fishing boat days. Rupert’s future is as a transportation centre.

Jesus is trying to say that the Tsimshian aren’t trying to build a sawmill. Whatever they’re building isn’t A sawmill, it’s something else. I was asking what it was, if it wasn’t going to be a sawmill.

He might be pulling your leg. They’re building a sawmill, with a pelletizer attached to it. No doubt about it from the viewpaper article.

They are also attaching a bed bath and beyond.