Civic Election is on the horizon

Anyone heard any rumblings of who may wish to seek a council seat or seek the Mayoralty this fall?

Any suggestions as to who you would like to see run for office and tackle the many challenges that seem to ours these days.

Maybe we can use htmf as the nomination page?

With the kind of public scrutiny that previous councils have had in recent history, I’d be surprised to see as many candidates run as the last election. I’ve had the opportunity to talk to a handful of ex councilors and ex mayors over the years.
To start, Most were/ are passionate locals. People that responded to a neighbor’s, friend’s and colleague’s request to be a representative on council. Some had a great public speaking talent. Others came from a financial background. Each person was somehow connected to the community, 'had their ear to the ground in some respect.
After a term or so, some had enough and chosen not to run for re election. They had created hard feelings with certain labor groups, to the point where members of the labor groups wouldn’t speak to them any more.Imagine, An elected official takes a stand on an issue and from then on, when he/ she is walking down the street in PR, they’re given a cold shoulder. Yeah, not what I signed up for. Maybe that’s it. An effective councilor is one that can let that sort of thing roll off them?
It seems as though when we want to put a no nonsense candidate on the ballot, someone who’s not afraid to make a decision, we also put them at risk of making the rest of their life in Rupert a little bit different. Strained.
" Real changes aren’t easy " It rolls off the tongue so nicely. I’m not sure Rupertites are truly ready for it.

Do you have to be a citizen to be mayor? I need a job before I move up there.

Got no friends. Got no enemies. Hell, I’d be perfect.

x

You need to be a citizen, but not necessarily a resident, I don’t think. You need to be legally eligible to vote in a municipal election.

Here is what you need to know:

A person is qualified to be nominated, elected and to hold office if they meet the following criteria:
Canadian citizen
18 years of age or older on general voting day for the election
Resident of British Columbia for at least 6 months at the time nomination papers are filed; and
Not disqualified by the Local Government Act or any other enactment from voting in an election in British Columbia or from being nominated for, elected to or holding office.

Whoever thinks of running must look at what they are going to be left with in council . Statements that were made during the last election and never materialized . Someone who is not afraid of the white shirts and to be ready to face the issues at hand . There is one big mess waiting for the right person who will help form a team .

[quote=“grey hair”]With the kind of public scrutiny that previous councils have had in recent history, I’d be surprised to see as many candidates run as the last election. I’ve had the opportunity to talk to a handful of ex councilors and ex mayors over the years.
To start, Most were/ are passionate locals. People that responded to a neighbor’s, friend’s and colleague’s request to be a representative on council. Some had a great public speaking talent. Others came from a financial background. Each person was somehow connected to the community, 'had their ear to the ground in some respect.
After a term or so, some had enough and chosen not to run for re election. They had created hard feelings with certain labor groups, to the point where members of the labor groups wouldn’t speak to them any more.Imagine, An elected official takes a stand on an issue and from then on, when he/ she is walking down the street in PR, they’re given a cold shoulder. Yeah, not what I signed up for. Maybe that’s it. An effective councilor is one that can let that sort of thing roll off them?
It seems as though when we want to put a no nonsense candidate on the ballot, someone who’s not afraid to make a decision, we also put them at risk of making the rest of their life in Rupert a little bit different. Strained.
" Real changes aren’t easy " It rolls off the tongue so nicely. I’m not sure Rupertites are truly ready for it.[/quote]

Those are interesting observations. Pettiness from certain members or segments of the public may also explain why the council tends to avoid public scrutiny, holding what amount to regular closed session meetings (every two weeks at 5 pm before the public meeting at 7 pm). They also seem reluctant to debate issues in the public meetings.

I think that you’re right, an effective councillor lets criticism roll off them, but not many people have that ability.

I also share your doubts about whether Rupertites are truly ready for change. There is a tendency to complain, but the electorate votes in familiar faces by considerable margins election after election rather than new people who may have fresh ideas and greater tolerance for the mean spiritedness that sometimes accompanies openess and debate.

[quote=“BTravenn”]

[quote=“grey hair”]With the kind of public scrutiny that previous councils have had in recent history, I’d be surprised to see as many candidates run as the last election. I’ve had the opportunity to talk to a handful of ex councilors and ex mayors over the years.
" Real changes aren’t easy " It rolls off the tongue so nicely. I’m not sure Rupertites are truly ready for it.[/quote]

Those are interesting observations. Pettiness from certain members or segments of the public may also explain why the council tends to avoid public scrutiny, holding what amount to regular closed session meetings (every two weeks at 5 pm before the public meeting at 7 pm). They also seem reluctant to debate issues in the public meetings.

I think that you’re right, an effective councillor lets criticism roll off them, but not many people have that ability.

I also share your doubts about whether Rupertites are truly ready for change. There is a tendency to complain, but the electorate votes in familiar faces by considerable margins election after election rather than new people who may have fresh ideas and greater tolerance for the mean spiritedness that sometimes accompanies openess and debate.[/quote]

Sasly, it all kind of explains why the place is in the mess that it is in.

It would be interesting to see who in present council will be seeking re-election . I have some silly idea that Payne may try to run as mayor . But you funseekers out there know me and my silly ideas. If for some reason we decided to stay in town , I may need an income…lol

Yours must be the longest farewell in Rupert history.

Not really , will be going .Lots of crap to go through especially when it is such a big move and the fact that I have lived in this town since 1980 , never lived in a town this long in my life . Any way this post is about the upcoming election and not the exit .

Regarding Pain for mayor - have any of you noticed that they have hired out of town contactors for their big reno above the video store???

That makes a statment when considering who to reelect…

If ‘Pain’ becomes mayor this town would very much degrade into English folklore Prince John-ruled Nottingham of proportions, except replace Prince John with Princess Palin.

In that case, somebody has to be Robin Hood.

[quote=“mossINmyTOES”]Regarding Pain for mayor - have any of you noticed that they have hired out of town contactors for their big reno above the video store???

That makes a statment when considering who to reelect…[/quote]

This thus, confirms the observations of participant number two atop this page