Citywest vs competition in Terrace?

Moving to Terrace. Had Shaw Direct, Citytel full ADSL, land line and long distance. Any recommendations pro and con, for same/different services in Terrace?

I was told by CityWest that their new fibre optic cable is 2 - 4 times faster than my PR adsl. Truth or rumour?

[quote=“MrGonzo2006”]Moving to Terrace. Had Shaw Direct, Citytel full ADSL, land line and long distance. Any recommendations pro and con, for same/different services in Terrace?

I was told by CityWest that their new fibre optic cable is 2 - 4 times faster than my PR adsl. Truth or rumour?[/quote]

Last month CityWest CEO Don Holkestad attended a City council meeting to rebut a number of “rumours”, including:

"Rumour: Areas outside of Rupert are getting newer technology than Prince Rupert.

Fact: All new builds will be Fibre to the home as it is the newest technology. Fibre is another technology that CityWest uses to connect our customers. We can offer our customers all services on our current technology and continue to drive fibre deeper into the network as the need arises." northcoastreview.blogspot.ca/201 … al-at.html

It sounds like on this topic the rumour mill about newer, faster technology elsewhere starts inside CityWest’s own organization.

At the next council meeting, CityWest was questioned about when they will begin to pay dividends to the City again. They last paid a dividend in 2009, repaid some unsecured, interest-free debt in 2010 and 2011, but did not pay anything in 2012.

Mr Holkstad replied that CityWest has to balance customer service against any potential dividend to the City, adding that “it is always a balancing act” thenorthernview.com/news/213999931.html

Perhaps we are trading off a financial return from the telecom against better services in Terrace or elsewhere, rather than here.

Citywest Cable has 20 meg download packages way …faster than any ADSL with bigger packages coming

I recently moved to Victoria, and went with Shaw here… I do find you have to watch your bills as they often don’t credit promotions, but the agents on the phone are great.
I got the 20 meg internet here. …I kept adsl while in Rupert but if I go back I would take 20 meg what a difference, it’s like a whole new internet…
Shaw does not charge for installs or rental on wirless modems… overall pricing is higher here than Rupert for bundles, but happy so far

speedtest.net/my-result/2864279283 In Kitimat (Citywest)

speedtest.net/my-result/2864283854 shaw victoria

find it interesting that your upload speed is a lot better than mine

I’m in Terrace with full Citywest service for cable, internet, and phone - they really are the only game in town because Telus only offers ADSL. Citywest doesn’t offer ADSL in Terrace so your only choice is cable internet so you might as well get cable TV as well rather than Shaw Direct. I have 15 MB internet which was the best at the time I upgraded - I asked yesterday to upgrade to 20MB and they wanted yet more money - and didn’t like my argument that when I paid a surcharge for 15 MB it was for the fastest speed at the time so I should get their current fastest speed at the same price (since they don’t offer 15 MB any more). Turns out I am on a “grandfathered” bundle that I can;t keep if I upgrade to 20 MB - so I told them that sounded like Telus or Shaw reasoning and they could stuff their 20 MB. The clerk actually told me to wait since she was sure they would have faster speeds pretty soon for the same pricing.

Citywest package 20-2 , as you see were are pretty close to advertized

I love the new speeds i get with citywest…
http://www.speedtest.net/result/2865576920.png

I bit the bullet and signed up for their full meal deal. Then, they told me installation won’t happen until the 12th at the earliest. Two bloody weeks for installation! Unbelievable. I thought the previous CEO had dealt with that service gap. And Telus really isn’t a good option here, either. Never checked Bell. Oh well, hurry up and wait.

odd that’s a huge wait… but i hope all goes well eventually when you get service…