Citywest is introducing caps

We need to do something about this, they can’t keep doing this shit to us.

How do we organize to fight this?

The options are limited.

1. Write letters to Citywest or create a petition.
    This is rather useless since they are the monopoly and they don’t need to change a thing, you have no other recourse, they know this. The proof can be found on their own website, have a look at what a Terrace Citywest customer pays for the same services offered in Prince Rupert. Considering that are in a new market in Terrace and are using Telus distro, you would think the rate would be higher not lower. In Terrace they have to stay competitive with Telus so the pricing reflects that.

2. Write a letters or a petition to the CRTC.
    As far as I can tell from the CRTC site, the CRTC does not put restrictions on what an ISP is allowed to charge for their rates. So this also seem futile.

3. Write letters or a petition to Shaw, Rogers, and Telus inviting them to service Prince Rupert. I’m not sure if this option is any better but at least it opens us up to new options in cable, telephone, and mobility. I heard Shaw is wanting to move in but were unsure of the available market share, they may just need a push.

The main problem at Citywest is that it is still ‘somewhat’ owned by the city and as such its focus isn’t on profits, and they are happy just ‘providing a basic service’ rather than being in the communications business. This seems typical for an organization that has the government’s hands in it.

[quote=“STaSHoLa”]How do we organize to fight this?

The options are limited.

1. Write letters to Citywest or create a petition.
    This is rather useless since they are the monopoly and they don’t need to change a thing, you have no other recourse, they know this. The proof can be found on their own website, have a look at what a Terrace Citywest customer pays for the same services offered in Prince Rupert. Considering that are in a new market in Terrace and are using Telus distro, you would think the rate would be higher not lower. In Terrace they have to stay competitive with Telus so the pricing reflects that.

2. Write a letters or a petition to the CRTC.
    As far as I can tell from the CRTC site, the CRTC does not put restrictions on what an ISP is allowed to charge for their rates. So this also seem futile.

3. Write letters or a petition to Shaw, Rogers, and Telus inviting them to service Prince Rupert. I’m not sure if this option is any better but at least it opens us up to new options in cable, telephone, and mobility. I heard Shaw is wanting to move in but were unsure of the available market share, they may just need a push.

The main problem at Citywest is that it is still ‘somewhat’ owned by the city and as such its focus isn’t on profits, and they are happy just ‘providing a basic service’ rather than being in the communications business. This seems typical for an organization that has the government’s hands in it.[/quote]

#3 probably isnt possible. citywest owns the ‘last mile’ and since citywest is owned by the city shaw would have a very hard time getting a permit to run new cable to your house

My 2 cents,

I thought the whole deal on the throttling was inplace to curb the internet hogs? Not even a few months into this practice, and they start this. So why are they doing this?

They are selling me 5 mbs, that is top tier, but limiting my data, so in essence limiting my 5mbs, and not providing 5mbs

There are 2 629 743.83 seconds in a month, and they are charging around $45.00 me for 5 mbs, that is 13148719.15 mb or about 128 Gigabits not Gigabytes.

Which raises the question, is it Gigabits or GigaBytes, huge difference.

$2.00 a Gig, money grab, or data hog curb?

if they are going to try and charge me, two things have to happen, I will request a itemized bill, and I will expect with a higher price I will get more service, like longer internet support, not the firehall/911 staff taking messages.

As much as City West drives me around the bend every ISP has caps, I just checked out shaw and there limit for a $45 internet package is
60 Gig … shaw.ca/en-ca/ProductsServic … dInternet/
Basically I pay $40 for standard service. Shaw is offering this package for $29 and later on it will be $45 … I guess I just dont get what all the fuss is over… Again I am not a city west fan, but this time around I dont understnad the fuss … Shaw $45 for 60 gig/ Citywest $40 for 75gig…
What is the problem?

I haven’t recieved this letter yet. Do they at least supply us with our average data useage so we can make an informed decision?

[quote=“northernguy”]As much as City West drives me around the bend every ISP has caps, I just checked out shaw and there limit for a $45 internet package is
60 Gig … htt p:// www. shaw. ca /en- ca/ ProductsServices/ InternetOld/ ShawHighSpeedInternet/
Basically I pay $40 for standard service. Shaw is offering this package for $29 and later on it will be $45 … I guess I just dont get what all the fuss is over… Again I am not a city west fan, but this time around I dont understnad the fuss … Shaw $45 for 60 gig/ Citywest $40 for 75gig…
What is the problem?[/quote]

why would you post a outdated package that doesn’t exist any more ?

The packages that are available are,

shaw.ca/en-ca/ProductsServices/Internet/

I’m going to the car dealer and tell them how much I will pay, how fast it better go and what gas mileage it better get.
Wish me luck.
If the laugh at me I’m going to start a Facebook group and they’ll be real sorry.

[quote=“northernguy”]As much as City West drives me around the bend every ISP has caps, I just checked out shaw and there limit for a $45 internet package is
60 Gig … shaw.ca/en-ca/ProductsServic … dInternet/
What is the problem?[/quote]

The problem is thier wording, bites vs. bytes.

When they advertise, and in all thier documents I have never seen the full version of the data size used. When I first got back to Rupert I assumed it was megabytes a sec, when in fact it was Megabites.

So are they talking about Gigabites or Gigabytes. 100 Gigabites are only 12.5 Gigabytes.

What really gets me is the way they play so loose with the terminology. The speed they sell us is in Megabites, the examples they use in the letter are what looks like MegaBytes, and no where have I seen a clear definition of what they are using.

It would be like Safeway selling loose apples in US currency for so many Kilos, and a sealed bag of apples in Canadian currency per pound.

Pick a terminology and stick with it.

Shaw $37.00 = 5 MB / 5.6 seconds / (with Powerboost) 1.6 seconds

If I ever saw 5MB transfer that fast over a Citywest line I’d eat my own shoes in utter shock! This is what the anger is with Citywest. Low ping MEANS something to us. High bandwidth transfer speed MAKES A DIFFERENCE and we pay double this for 1/4 the speed. Shittywest shit the bed with the one saving grace they had left: no caps.

So, maybe the CRTC and/or local community interest groups can point out the high cost / low bandwidth is inhibiting the community’s youth from accessing the www.

[quote=“herbie_popnecker”]I’m going to the car dealer and tell them how much I will pay, how fast it better go and what gas mileage it better get.
Wish me luck.
If the laugh at me I’m going to start a Facebook group and they’ll be real sorry.[/quote]

But if you went to a massage parlour, paid for a back massage and got a finger stuffed up your woohoo and then they pointed out happy endings in small print…

Pretty much the same level of intelligence in both your analogy and mine, my friend.

Perhaps they don’t know…it wouldn’t surprise me!

[quote=“MeepMeepZoom”]Shaw $37.00 = 5 MB / 5.6 seconds / (with Powerboost) 1.6 seconds

If I ever saw 5MB transfer that fast over a Citywest line I’d eat my own shoes in utter shock! This is what the anger is with Citywest. Low ping MEANS something to us. High bandwidth transfer speed MAKES A DIFFERENCE and we pay double this for 1/4 the speed. Shittywest shit the bed with the one saving grace they had left: no caps.

So, maybe the CRTC and/or local community interest groups can point out the high cost / low bandwidth is inhibiting the community’s youth from accessing the www.[/quote]

Okay i see the point always knew shaw was faster but city west had no cap … now slower out dated service plus a cap…

[quote=“Hoser”]

Perhaps they don’t know…it wouldn’t surprise me![/quote]

Thats exactly what I noted earlier in the thread. If we are lead to believe that Citywest is so proffessional, and accurate with their letter then Gb=Gigabit which is barely enough bandwidth to look at facebook for a month (pictures, movies,youtube).

[quote=“herbie_popnecker”]I’m going to the car dealer and tell them how much I will pay, how fast it better go and what gas mileage it better get.
Wish me luck.
If the laugh at me I’m going to start a Facebook group and they’ll be real sorry.[/quote]

Citywest screwed the pooch. They sold a car saying it went so fast and so far then retracted that later on saying it now only goes half as far and if you go beyond that point the gas will cost about 50x what would be a fair price. They also set the limit of how far you can go extremely low.

If they want to charge per GB then just do it and charge a fair price dont try to get guaranteed monthly subscription dollars and charge an extremely unfair price per GB beyond the piddly little bandwidth limit.

Like I said before I have no problem paying a fair price but 2.00/GB is nowhere fucking near that fair price. What they should have done if they were a decent company is a) offer the consumers a choice pay more for unlimited data at their same data rate or b) do what they did but charge a fair price per GB.

Their current plan is to feed like pigs at a trough and is completely unfair to the citizens who’s tax dollars paid for this company and continue to pay so other communities can enjoy the services at a lower price.

what if anything does this all mean to someone like me that mostly surfs, and emails and does a small amount of music down loading?

Probably nothing depending on how much music downloading you do, video browsing etc.

[quote=“jesus”]

Probably nothing depending on how much music downloading you do, video browsing etc.[/quote]

So are we going to have meters on our computers showing the usage… ?

[quote=“northernguy”]

Probably nothing depending on how much music downloading you do, video browsing etc.

So are we going to have meters on our computers showing the usage… ?[/quote]

They said they will create a portal (fancy word for a website) to view your usage.

If i am not using my share 75 gig I will tell my friend who down loads a lot to come over and use up my share…