Citywest email

Simone Le Bon called, he wants his hair back.

no.

seriously.

Gmail spam?

Lets see in my spam folder on gmail there are 972 messages right now. My Inbox there are at a quick glance ~150 spam mails. I cleaned out my spam folder less than a month ago and I clean out my Gmail inbox about every week.

So yea, Gmail aint perfect.

[quote=“VMS”]
Lets see in my spam folder on gmail there are 972 messages right now.[/quote]

Isn’t that where it’s supposed to go? I appreciate the fact that I can do a quick check of the spam before deleting it. Occasionally something get’s miss-tagged. 

Do you tag the emails as spam before deleting them? You know… so they go to the spam folder next time?

I’ve had a gmail account since early on and use it as my main. I get maybe 5 or 6 spam messages a month in my inbox. I tag them and if they show up again it’s in the spam folder.

1390 in my Spam folder on gmail, which keeps spam for a month.

Zero spam in my inbox.  You “mark as spam” and gmail learns what you consider spam. 

Yep.  I have zero spam in my gmail inbox whether I’m using thunderbird with IMAP or my browser.  Training gmail to target spam works for me.  I’m also an early adopter of gmail, 7+ GB of free storage is awesome.  I think Citywest gives 5 MB of storage which is a joke.

exactly!

I have the last 5 years of email, i keep it and sort it all.! Spam in my inbox, maybe one every 3 months.

I think Citywest gives 5 MB of storage which is a joke.

That is small.
But not so much a joke. If you run a POP mail service, you don’t want more than 10 - 20Mb in someone’s folder.
90% of ppl use OutHouse and 90% of those have never ever looked at the timeout setting. Get an large office behind a router and even a DSL won’t be able to empty much more than that 10-20Mb.
Toss in dialup clients and 5 would be max. Gotta tell 3 or 4 users a week to use Squirrelmail and delete messages (then purge) to get things flowing again.
Been a running conversation with a client who thinks the POP mailboxes should be increased to 500Mb while I insist his Exchange server should check them more often and empty them. Linked his laptop directly into the server bank and it couldn’t empty 60Mb without failing until AVG was shut off.
POP is a service, you want to pass the mail on, not be responsible for storing it.

Offer to “host” an e-mail domain for them using gmail.  Gmail for domains allows you to keep your own address, but use google servers for everything else (so you can have miguel@hackingthemainframe.com).  You can have imap or pop3 and web-based as well.

Charge your clients a monthly e-mail hosting fee.  100% profit (except for your expertise in setting it up, of course).

For some customers of mine, it would be a good idea. For others, not. One consideration is emailing 100Mb attachments to two dozen people already over a shared pipe. They WOULD try to attach bloody movies… aaaaiiiiieee!