City looks to draw big name franchises, not big box stores

The City of Prince Rupert and the Prince Rupert and Port Edward Economic Development Corporation are hoping to attract some big name businesses, but not necessarily big box stores.

bclocalnews.com/bc_north/the … 48623.html

[quote=“TheNorthernView”]The City of Prince Rupert and the Prince Rupert and Port Edward Economic Development Corporation are hoping to attract some big name businesses, but not necessarily big box stores.

bclocalnews.com/bc_north/the … 48623.html[/quote]

Do the folks at city hall actually read the newspapers anymore?

Lets see, some of news of late, the sales of housing were reported as down (the only place in Northern BC that took place), McMillan Fish is closing, unemployment still seems to be a problem and on it goes. It does make you wonder if they get any picture there, let alone the “big picture”

Perhaps, if the city would get around to attracting some industry here, rather that just keep pining away for the Port to solve all their problems then there would be a need for the “franchise” stores to come on up and set up shop.

Can anyone say E-L-E-C-T-I-O-N sooooooon ? They just don’t get it, do they ?

Sure an interesting mixed message here.

“Mayor Jack Mussallem said the intention isn’t to try and attract someone like a Canadian Tire or Wal-Mart.”

No, I guess no one in the community would want those stores here!

Not that they probably feel any need to come anyways what with the welcoming atmosphere down the road in Terrace.

“And while the City is hoping to attract more retail to fill the empty storefronts downtown, Mayor Mussallem also said the intention isn’t to create greater competition for existing stores and businesses.”

Uh, ok, then what is the intention? Not that there would be anything wrong with the idea of competition, or even filling up the many brightly painted but otherwise empty storefronts.

As mentioned above, it’s election time, gotta look like were doing something I guess.

Though I imagine any franchise store with any business acumen, might look into such things as the city’s tax rate, land costs, population shift, current shopping patterns and its past history when it comes to any business not of the local established family variety.

Like the city we should keep our eyes on the mail though, you never know I guess.

Why would any new retailer move to Prince Rupert, as opposed to Terrace? I’m asking seriously.

Terrace has lower taxes, a lower cost of doing business. And you not only get all the customers in Terrace (and Kitimat, and Hazelton, and the Nass Valley, and everywhere in between), but you’ll also get all the customers from Prince Rupert as well.

Put your store in Prince Rupert, and you’ll get customers from Prince Rupert and area. I doubt many from Terrace would drive from Terrace to shop in Rupert, but the opposite is certainly true.

So what kind of business is the CIty talking about here?

Or are they talking about buying businesses and having them owned by the City (like they did with the Cable company)?

You are right, there is something odd about this pronouncement indeed. Who makes these strategic plans? Obviously they aren’t paid enough.

Jack and Derek state that, after sending out “…invitations to 40 major retail companies”…"the purpose of the letters is to get smaller retailers…"
Which is it? Are they looking for major retailers or minor retailers? Or is there a new kind, a major-minor?

Could this just be the beginning of Twiddle dee and Twiddle dum? Never a dull moment. Only dull thoughts.

And they’re telling these retailers to please come to Prince Rupert, but not if you’re going to compete with existing businesses?

huh?

Why yes, they would give the stuff away.

Or could the plan be to fill the empty stores with products that aren’t for sale? Could be they’re crazy…crazy like foxes.

Let’s look at what some of these new major-minor businesses who can’t be in competition with existing businesses cannot be.

No to: jewelry, shoes, sporting, camera/video, grocery, clothing, hardware, gaming, electronics, furniture, restaurant, professional services, books, contractors, real estate, marine, auto dealers, mechanics, pet stores/supplies, movers/moving, motel/hotel, service stations, convenience stores, barber/beauty, banking, insurance, beer/liquor sales, glass, bus, taxi, printing, theatre/cinema, or art gallery…

Miss any?

What does this leave?

I disagree, the message is the same that we’ve heard from a succession of Mayors and Councils, “We will take care of ourselves and special interest groups at any cost”.

don’t forget the lovely new parking bylaw where the city determines how many parking stalls you will need and charge you $100 for any over a certain limit the empty building was allocated, yep all our council is really business oriented

“With the population increasing" ummmm lets see we went from 18000 to just over what? 12500, where the hell has the population increased? unless he got his interviews mixed up and was talking about the marmot population increasing

Mussallem is an idiot and his “we are not trying to attract a Wal-Mart/Canadian Tire” just REEKS of the anti-franchise tactics used in the 1990’s by council.

Thank god there is an election!

If they want to seriously attract business here, they need to lower commercial taxes (get competitive with Terrace in that respect) and be willing to have ANY retailer come in, not be selective.

Do they not realise how many JOBS a Canadian Tire or Wal-Mart would provide to the many unemployed people in this town? Sure it is retail job, but ITS A DAMN JOB!

[quote=“bthedog”]Mussallem is an idiot and his “we are not trying to attract a Wal-Mart/Canadian Tire” just REEKS of the anti-franchise tactics used in the 1990’s by council.

Thank god there is an election!

If they want to seriously attract business here, they need to lower commercial taxes (get competitive with Terrace in that respect) and be willing to have ANY retailer come in, not be selective.

Do they not realise how many JOBS a Canadian Tire or Wal-Mart would provide to the many unemployed people in this town? Sure it is retail job, but ITS A DAMN JOB![/quote]

Do you really think Crazy Jack will run again?