Cheap 802.11G

I’m staying at my aunt and uncles place in Kelowna right now and they have a cable modem upstairs, which runs directly into their ancient PC. I went to Futureshop yesterday to see what they had for Wi-Fi solutions and walked out with a PCI 802.11G card and 802.11G /4port router for VERY cheap. If nayone is looking for a decent/cheap router, pick up one of these NetGear WGR614 routers from Futureshop. It’s $39 bucks after the rebate and I’m getting near 48mbit trafer rates through a concrete floor/wall. No complaints :wink:

i bought a netgear one too. it looks like some kinda weird space craft thing but works wicked… the best one i have had would be my smc wireless baracade dual ant’s and 54g with usb print server… worked wicked and long long long distance… : O )

yeah a whiel after i posted that, my computer started to lock up and crash… i rmeoved the card and it worked, so i started removing other cards… it seems to work now, but my sound card has also been removed… weird. IRQ conflicts?

yup… maybe take it back and get new one. or move teh pci card’s around ?

So… this WEP stuff… to use or not to use? Can people intercept my MSN/Email and such if I’m not using it?

yeah people can… i use mac filtering and wep at the same time… just makes it harder for them… i went war driving in nanaimo for 20 min and found 45 open bases. here in teh appt that im staying at… first day i was here i found 3 open bases so i changed there names to i give out free wireless internet 1 2 3 4 hahah

i was bored. : O )

I never had any one hack mine and i used wep and mac filtering… so yeah…

I’ve heard WEP is more or less a false sense oof security. What WEP does (at least to the extent of my knowledge) is block the people from accessing your network, thus possibly accessing files. MAC filters are the best way to prevent access I find.

mirrors.usc.edu/pub/gnu/macchanger/

another false sense of security

Hah, “Script Kiddie” is a fitting title.

By the way, that was my first post from my new apartment! I’ve had Internet hooked up since Thursday, but I didn’t move my computer over until just now. So far, “CosmicNet” highspeed seems ok. We’ll have to wait and see what download speeds are like.

Never trust the network. Encrypt at the upper layers and you’ll be fine.

MAC filtering is great, unless the person trying to use your network knows your MAC addresses. How about turning off SSID advertising? WEP sucks, and is just an invitation to crack it. WPA is better, but unless you set it up properly, there’s a gaping hole in it.

So just don’t worry about things, encrypt everything.

natecarlson.com/linux/wireless-sniff.php

mac address filtering isnt all that great when you can just sniff some packets.

openswan.org/ ipsec is the way to go

[quote=“MiG”]Never trust the network. Encrypt at the upper layers and you’ll be fine.

MAC filtering is great, unless the person trying to use your network knows your MAC addresses. How about turning off SSID advertising? WEP sucks, and is just an invitation to crack it. WPA is better, but unless you set it up properly, there’s a gaping hole in it.

So just don’t worry about things, encrypt everything.[/quote]

i agree turn off ssid and that help’s lot’s they wont look if they cant sniff it. : O )

I think we’re saying the same thing.

Dude, he looks like you. Except with round glasses and a fancy like lab coat and tie. : P There, now you know I’m kidding.

SSID disabled… and interestingly enough my anonymous user hasn’t come back for a visit yet.

[quote=“MiG”]

I think we’re saying the same thing.

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/39601000/gif/_39601163_quake_drill_203inf.gif[/quote]

Hmm, it appears so

ha ha ha he thinks it is off… he can’t find it LOL…

I love Log’s : O )

now you’re completely alone… you may have missed a totally hot geek-gal just cuz you wouldn’t share your connection…
(just as likely as it being a malicious hacker…)