Chad's shut down

[quote] by dafaceofanangel » Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:55 am

I just don’t understand how this law was applied to only one of Chad’s locations and not all? Don’t the RCMP have inter-provincial jurisdiction on such matters? Why go after one location and not the company’s head office? This seems a bit off to me. [/quote]

+1 It does seem to point to someone at the local level getting a bee in their bonnet rather than actual RCMP policy

I just read that another business has been warned about their inventory. Is this happening anywhere else?? Seems to me that this local detatchment is taking it upon themselves to focus on these businesses. Do the RCMP not have anything better to do?? It just seems strange.

Looks like the Express News franchise in the mall was also told to take their bongs/pipes off the shelves.

Is this what our freaking taxes are going towards? The Prince Rupert RCMP need a SERIOUS wake up call if this is what they are wasting their money doing.

There are MUCH more serious matters they could be attending to than attacking local businesses.

thenorthernview.com/breaking … 31621.html

I personally applaud the RCMP. No need need to sell that sh%t in our town. Don’t feel sorry for the businesses either, they want to sell stuff, there are plenty of other products for them to sell.

stalbertgazette.com/article/ … rough-ride

Interesting read from the past.

[quote=“Beanaround”]http://www.stalbertgazette.com/article/20111221/SAG0801/312219965/-1/sag/chad-smoke-shop-owner-gets-rough-ride

Interesting read from the past.[/quote]

I agree… most interesting indeed!

[quote=“Beanaround”]http://www.stalbertgazette.com/article/20111221/SAG0801/312219965/-1/sag/chad-smoke-shop-owner-gets-rough-ride

Interesting read from the past.[/quote]

… but still an ongoing issue in St Albert, Alberta.

The municipality amended its’ business licencing bylaw to prohibit activities related to the the sale of “instruments … for illicit drug use”. However, on judicial review the Alberta Court of Queen’s Bench held that St Albert had exceeded its powers.

albertacourts.ab.ca/jdb_new/ … qb0780.pdf

The Court found that although a municipality can regulate businesses for the purpose of promoting the safety, health and welfare of citizens, in this case it had not pursued that purpose; rather it had set out to enact what amounted to criminal legislation, which is outside of its’ delegated powers from the Province.

The Judge explained:

“[20] In my view the amending bylaw has the look and feel of morality legislation. What was plainly in the mind of the City was illegal narcotics. The amending bylaw has the look and feel of a statement that “this kind of thing isn’t going to happen in my City” and it is plainly designed to address the perceived enforcement difficulties associated with the Criminal Code provisions relating to items which might be considered drug paraphernalia.”

The amendments to the business licencing bylaw were consequently quashed. Apparently the matter is now before the Alberta Court of Appeal.

If there is a cautionary tale in this, it is that the issue is really between the bong shop and the RCMP. It’s not a City council issue.

How narrow-minded are you? Are you not aware that a number of people in this town have permits to possess marijuana for medicinal purposes???

Furthermore, I would like to add that I purchased my charcoals at Chad’s for my hookah which is perfectly legal and not illicit in any way. Now, instead of supporting a local business that gave 3 people full-time jobs I have to order online.

That is an interesting question. Can you tell us the number of people in this town that have such permits?

[quote=“BTravenn”]

That is an interesting question. Can you tell us the number of people in this town that have such permits?[/quote]

I don’t believe Health Canada divulges such numbers on a municipality basis, nor would the RCMP due to privacy laws - or would they?

[quote=“dafaceofanangel”]

I don’t believe Health Canada divulges such numbers on a municipality basis, nor would the RCMP due to privacy laws - or would they?[/quote]

It looks like we really don’t know how many medical marijuana users are here. According to Health Canada, as of December 2012 BC lead the country with 13,362 registered users, which really isn’t very many out of a population of 4,650,000. < hc-sc.gc.ca/dhp-mps/marihuan … ng.php#a12 >

I don’t think that this is a medical marijuana story. It’s about the RCMP enforcing a law that many consider to be out-dated, but then the RCMP enforce the law as it is, not as people would like it to be.

The Harper government is bringing in more restrictive medical marijuana regulations and generally takes a hard line on marijuana use. See for instance < huffingtonpost.ca/2013/04/17 … 01664.html >

The Liberals are in favour of decriminalizing marijuana use on the basis that regulation would be more effective if it was taken off of the black market. Justin Trudeau adds that decriminalization would not make it a ‘health food supplement’ .
< reddeeradvocate.com/news/Mar … 76371.html >

The NDP’s position is essentially incoherent. Mulcair has talked about having a royal commission study the matter if he becomes PM, which further illustrates why he probably never will achieve that office. < cbc.ca/news/politics/story/2 … ation.html

blogs.vancouversun.com/2013/06/2 … ce-rupert/

[quote]RCMP focus on headshops might signal new national trend.

RCMP in Prince Rupert recently raided the local bong shop, and are pressuring other stores to stop carrying bongs and pipes.

On June 13, Prince Rupert RCMP seized thousands of bongs, pipes and vaporizers from “Chad’s 420.” The store had opened just under one year ago, as part of a chain which includes 18 other stores in BC and Alberta. Despite being under pressure for their low rate of solving local crimes, Prince Rupert RCMP invested in a six-month investigation, then launched the unexpected bong raid.[/quote]

[quote=“MiG”]http://blogs.vancouversun.com/2013/06/21/bong-shops-busted-in-prince-rupert/

[quote]RCMP focus on headshops might signal new national trend.

RCMP in Prince Rupert recently raided the local bong shop, and are pressuring other stores to stop carrying bongs and pipes.

On June 13, Prince Rupert RCMP seized thousands of bongs, pipes and vaporizers from “Chad’s 420.” The store had opened just under one year ago, as part of a chain which includes 18 other stores in BC and Alberta. Despite being under pressure for their low rate of solving local crimes, Prince Rupert RCMP invested in a six-month investigation, then launched the unexpected bong raid.[/quote]

[/quote]

blogs.vancouversun.com/2013/06/0 … marijuana/

“Thousands” of pipes, bongs and vaporizers. How big was this store??? Is this for real or are the RCMP tooting their own horn by making the story bigger than it is.

Just received this email from Dana:

[quote]I’m going to be in Prince Rupert today.

I know it’s short notice, but I decided to come up here because, as I’m sure you know, the local RCMP have been wasting their time on busting and harassing bong shops.

Chad’s 420 has been raided and shut down. Two other local shops have been threatened by police and told to remove their small selection of bongs.

I decided something has to be done to commemorate this incredible waste of RCMP time and resources.

So at 2:30pm today, I will be outside the Prince Rupert RCMP station at 100 West 6th Ave, to present a custom trophy to the Prince Rupert RCMP.

This trophy is for “The Most Police Time Wasted” to recognize the 6 months that was spent investigating bongs.

I know it’s a workday today, but if you’re free at 2pm, I would love to see you there. I’m going to give a short talk in front of the RCMP station, then present the trophy.

I hope to see you there!

Dana Larsen, Sensible BC Director

Sensible BC · 207 W Hastings, 814, Vancouver, BC v6b1h7, Canada
You can also keep up with Dana Larsen on Twitter or Facebook.[/quote]

[quote=“Soggy”]Just received this email from Dana:

[quote]I’m going to be in Prince Rupert today.

I know it’s short notice, but I decided to come up here because, as I’m sure you know, the local RCMP have been wasting their time on busting and harassing bong shops.

Chad’s 420 has been raided and shut down. Two other local shops have been threatened by police and told to remove their small selection of bongs.

I decided something has to be done to commemorate this incredible waste of RCMP time and resources.

So at 2:30pm today, I will be outside the Prince Rupert RCMP station at 100 West 6th Ave, to present a custom trophy to the Prince Rupert RCMP.

This trophy is for “The Most Police Time Wasted” to recognize the 6 months that was spent investigating bongs.

I know it’s a workday today, but if you’re free at 2pm, I would love to see you there. I’m going to give a short talk in front of the RCMP station, then present the trophy.

I hope to see you there!

Dana Larsen, Sensible BC Director

Sensible BC · 207 W Hastings, 814, Vancouver, BC v6b1h7, Canada
You can also keep up with Dana Larsen on Twitter or Facebook.[/quote]

[/quote]

Did this really happen?

It did happen as he called it and yes its a beautiful trophy . Now they may have to find a new case , get it Trophy Case . Smoke a joint and it may be funny .

A beautiful trophy indeed, and well deserved!

Yeah, there’s a Dr. Love here in PG that is huggggggggeeeeeeeeeeeee and it sells “Romance Enhancement” toys/items and it’s also “Hemp City” or w/e it’s called.