Chad's shut down

Prince Rupert RCMP seize pipes, bongs, grinders from The Chad Smoke Shop
thenorthernview.com/news/211430921.html

From the article:
" ‘This is an investigation the RCMP decided to take on … these type of investigations are long in process and there is a lot of information to obtain before applying for and obtaining a search warrant’ "

“Currently there are 19 Chad Smoke Shop locations across the country, including four in B.C., 14 in Alberta and one in Newfoundland.”

So, they’re really going to start cracking down on these types of stores? With 14 in AB and 3 others in BC JUST OF THIS ONE CHAIN, Prince Rupert is the one they decide to bust? Really? So many questions come to mind

1. Is it really a just law if it’s enforced completely differently across the province/country?
  2. How did this location and/or all of these places get business licences if the products are illegal? I know for a fact PR’s location did. Either someone at City Hall isn’t doing their job or the RCMP detachment here are a bunch of jerks
  3. Other places in town sold these items LONG before Chad’s even came to town. Why no investigation and seizure at these locations?
  4. Couldn’t the RCMP “investigative” resources be better used finding the sources of the actual drugs and preventing the destruction of property that grow ops cause and the influx of narcotics in exchange for marijuana? This seems like a case of “Hey, this seems like an easy case to close. Everything is right there in the open. He’s providing safe employment, renting a local retail place, and has all the necessary licensing. But everything we need to get a conviction on a crime nobody cares about is right there. LET’S BUST HIM!!”

I am just about the strongest anti-pot person I know. I don’t like it, I think it’s on the balance a bad thing for society (except perhaps in medical form, but not the way the current medical marijuana system is set up), but this has to be the stupidest bust I’ve ever seen. If anything, having a smoke shop that you can stake-out for users, and then follow them up the supply chain seems like an investigative gold-mine for police. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

Rant over.

[quote=“higginst”]Prince Rupert RCMP seize pipes, bongs, grinders from The Chad Smoke Shop
thenorthernview.com/news/211430921.html

From the article:
" ‘This is an investigation the RCMP decided to take on … these type of investigations are long in process and there is a lot of information to obtain before applying for and obtaining a search warrant’ "

“Currently there are 19 Chad Smoke Shop locations across the country, including four in B.C., 14 in Alberta and one in Newfoundland.”

So, they’re really going to start cracking down on these types of stores? With 14 in AB and 3 others in BC JUST OF THIS ONE CHAIN, Prince Rupert is the one they decide to bust? Really? So many questions come to mind

1. Is it really a just law if it’s enforced completely differently across the province/country?
  2. How did this location and/or all of these places get business licences if the products are illegal? I know for a fact PR’s location did. Either someone at City Hall isn’t doing their job or the RCMP detachment here are a bunch of jerks
  3. Other places in town sold these items LONG before Chad’s even came to town. Why no investigation and seizure at these locations?
  4. Couldn’t the RCMP “investigative” resources be better used finding the sources of the actual drugs and preventing the destruction of property that grow ops cause and the influx of narcotics in exchange for marijuana? This seems like a case of “Hey, this seems like an easy case to close. Everything is right there in the open. He’s providing safe employment, renting a local retail place, and has all the necessary licensing. But everything we need to get a conviction on a crime nobody cares about is right there. LET’S BUST HIM!!”

I am just about the strongest anti-pot person I know. I don’t like it, I think it’s on the balance a bad thing for society (except perhaps in medical form, but not the way the current medical marijuana system is set up), but this has to be the stupidest bust I’ve ever seen. If anything, having a smoke shop that you can stake-out for users, and then follow them up the supply chain seems like an investigative gold-mine for police. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

Rant over.[/quote]

It seems pretty clear…

"“This is an investigation the RCMP decided to take on … these type of investigations are long in process and there is a lot of information to obtain before applying for and obtaining a search warrant,” he said.

A person from Alberta has been identified as the owner of the business and may be facing criminal charges.

There are other places in town where pipes can be purchased, and Ericson said the RCMP may be taking a closer look at that.

“At this time we are focusing on this investigation. In terms of other businesses, there are concerns about this type of thing being sold in town and we certainly want to hear about it.”

I’m only guessing but I would assume that local investigators here could take a tighter stance and apply the law using their discretion. I don’t know if it would have to be a coordinated effort involving all locations. Six months worth of investigating must have turned up something.

There are far more dangerous things to be spending our police dollars on, than busting this kind of stuff. Give me a break. What a waste of police resources! Thank you Tories!

So the RCMP should ignore are relatively minor offenses? Or just some of them? And what do the Tories have to do with this? These laws were in place long before Harper was in power.

So why havent they taken down the pawn shop ?
Are pawn shops immune to this law ?
So in the same day there is reporting that medical pot growers are raking in the $$ selling their wares on the street.
So why not just legalize it, tax it, and call it done.

having so many people with licenses to grow or possess marijuana I am curious how they can seize items that are used to smoke it.

Hello , anyone ever been to Vancouver ,Prince George, or any other larger city than Prince Rupert ? There are hundreds if not thousands of stores in Canada that sell stuff like Chads Smoke Shop.
I remember San Francisco’s in the mall selling bongs and pipes, the Dollar Store selling flavored rolling papers, the tobacco shop in the mall, the pawn shop and some corner stores selling all the same kind of stuff. Where do you draw the line? how about corn cob pipes, rolling papers, lighters etc. My kids could make a pipe out of a pop can , paper towel tube, garden hose, tin foil and on and on.
People will find ways to use there drugs if they cant buy them in stores.
Shut down the drug dealers not the businesses .

There’s still lots we don’t know about this investigation so why draw conclusions? What we do know is it lasted 6 months and turned up enough alleged unlawful activity to warrant charges.

It doesn’t take 6 months to find out if a store is selling pipes. It takes 6 seconds.

This isn’t about selling pipes.

There is definitely more to this story than what the RCMP are saying. Chad’s is a franchise and are they based in BC, Alberta and NFDL. I don’t understand tho going in and removing all the inventory when its found in stores all over the country. We shall see what becomes of this investigation.

Crazy Train seems to be on the right track here. We don’t know what the investigation turned up, so there is no sense on jumping to conclusions. However, the City would of had to of been pretty blind to issue a licence to this business without know what kinds of products they were selling. I would assume from the comments here that the general bitch is the fact that the RCMP took 6 months to come up with these charges. To build a case that is big enough to possibly charge the business owner and not just fine or reprimand the business would seem that it is something rather substantial. Maybe a multiple case of selling to minors or something like that. I think that they (the police) have different charges that could be applied in this situation, as apposed to digging up some 30 year old law that was brought into use when Reefer Madness was The New anti-drug movie. Its a drag that the Mayor’s statement on the subject was something like, “We’ll wait and see what the RCMP decide on what happens”. Think City Hall should find out more and make a statement!. Is it so serious that they can’t say something, or did the Feds just drive an “unwanted” business out of our Wonderful Little Town because they failed the “one year” litmus test!.
Higginst, You seem pretty “Cloak and Dagger” with the following of the customers to their dealers house and bust the Big Supplier!
I think you read too much! Just look around, legalization is not too far away. Your neighbour could be a dealer, but then again, is probably just a recreational user!
Its just your opinion, but take the time to consider the medical uses and how its better than that which a lot of people ingest!
The next time your in Rainforest Books, instead of staring at the clerk, look down, Its a pipe selection! Do you think its for puffing Chai Tea!
Just My Opinion!

I hope we do hear why they raided Chad’s. Tho why not just shut them down without taking the inventory.

That seems to be the big question Gracies Mom.
Why was Chads singled out, when the same items (grinders, pipes and hooka’s) are available across the street at Homesteader, and also in the Mall at the Smoke Shop.
It’s a true mystery, and it doesn’t seem that the City is trying to get an answer to the tell the public, nor are the Feds saying anything.
The whole situation seems to be one of those Mushroom things, where we the public are kept in the Dark, and fed Bullshit!
Just my Thoughts!

[quote]Higginst, You seem pretty “Cloak and Dagger” with the following of the customers to their dealers house and bust the Big Supplier!
I think you read too much! Just look around, legalization is not too far away. Your neighbour could be a dealer, but then again, is probably just a recreational user!
Its just your opinion, but take the time to consider the medical uses and how its better than that which a lot of people ingest! [/quote]

Maybe I wasn’t clear but I am in favour of medical uses. However, the fact that the industry is underregulated means that medical permits are used to protect grow-ops that far exceed their permitted capacity and thereby destroy property and/or endanger neighbours. I totally agree that legalization may be close and I am fine with that, even though I may not agree 100%. More regulation is definitely what is needed.

Forgive me for being too “cloak and dagger,” but my point was, if prosecuting people doing illegal things regarding marijuana is a priority for the police (which this bust would seem to suggest), then this seems like the most backwards way to do it. I guess I am a bit naive to expect that the police would actually follow known drug users up the chain, even if that chain ends with 4 plants in the user’s back window. That does seem like way too much work for little reward, but I do think that even that would be more effective for stopping the usage than taking away bongs and pipes. As mentioned by someone else, bongs and pipes are not hard to improvise.

There also seems to be the implication by many that there was something more nefarious going on at Chad’s than we know at the moment. That may be the case, but from what I know I find it unlikely. Maybe we will find out someday.

[quote=“woodnfood”]
It’s a true mystery, and it doesn’t seem that the City is trying to get an answer to the tell the public, nor are the Feds saying anything.
The whole situation seems to be one of those Mushroom things, where we the public are kept in the Dark, and fed Bullshit!
Just my Thoughts![/quote]

In this day and age where we have so much information available and at our fingertips people seem to want to know now what is going on rather than to allow due process to occur. Take the recent bombings in Boston for example. Within a day or so there were cries from the public for information as to what was happening and who was suspected of pulling off such a heinous act. Seemed pretty silly in retrospect because the authorities were hard at work compiling a tremendous amount of information. Same thing with the riots in Vancouver. People were wondering why it was taking so long to charge those responsible. It’s best if we are patient and waist because history has shown that the truth will come out and those working behind the scenes are doing a pretty amazing job.

Am I the only one that found it suspect that they were closed within days of the first cruise ship arriving? I haven’t checked the ports of call for the cruise lines, but if we are the only Canadian port they are visiting it would make sense that the cruise line might have concerns if their passengers were to purchase anything here and then get busted for trying to bring “drug paraphernalia” back into the US and they pinpoint it to their port of call Prince Rupert…I would think Cruise companies have a lot more clout with city hall than a small company like Chad’s.

I don’t really think that is the reason CHAD’S was shut down. Cruise companies don’t have any clout when it comes to legal or illegal activities in a port of call. Plus that cruise I believe arrived on the same day.

The reason they were shut down was 462.2 of the criminal code-

462.2 - Offence and Punishment

Offence

462.2 Every one who knowingly imports into Canada, exports from Canada, manufactures, promotes or sells instruments or literature for illicit drug use is guilty of an offence and liable on summary conviction

(a) for a first offence, to a fine not exceeding one hundred thousand dollars or to imprisonment for a term not exceeding six months or to both; or

(b) for a second or subsequent offence, to a fine not exceeding three hundred thousand dollars or to imprisonment for a term not exceeding one year or to both.

Its a vague law and is up for interpretation, Chad’s was NOT selling drugs they were just made a victim by an outdated law.

[quote=“Dozydo”]The reason they were shut down was 462.2 of the criminal code-

462.2 - Offence and Punishment

Offence

462.2 Every one who knowingly imports into Canada, exports from Canada, manufactures, promotes or sells instruments or literature for illicit drug use is guilty of an offence and liable on summary conviction

(a) for a first offence, to a fine not exceeding one hundred thousand dollars or to imprisonment for a term not exceeding six months or to both; or

(b) for a second or subsequent offence, to a fine not exceeding three hundred thousand dollars or to imprisonment for a term not exceeding one year or to both.

Its a vague law and is up for interpretation, Chad’s was NOT selling drugs they were just made a victim by an outdated law.[/quote]

I don’t understand it. Not like it said any where in the store DRUG USE or For Weed Only Sticker.

I just don’t understand how this law was applied to only one of Chad’s locations and not all? Don’t the RCMP have inter-provincial jurisdiction on such matters? Why go after one location and not the company’s head office? This seems a bit off to me.