Cell phones in classroom

I’ve got a few kids in high school and believe that cellphones are a major distractions in the classroom.During a recent parent teacher night, I took the opportunity to ask each of my kid’s teachers what their thoughts were on the issue.
Some don’t mind if the day’s workload is complete and there are extra minutes at the end of class, but admit it can quite often lead to a distraction for students still working.
I’m all for allowing them in the school but not in the classroom.

What is Board Policy on the matter?
Ultimately, although teachers may have preferences it is Board Policy that guides decisions.
If Board Policy is contrary to your preferences you certainly have a voice and a group of Trustees to share your opinion with. It would be interesting to know how things progress.

I retired from teaching here in PR several years ago. To my knowledge at the time of my retirement there was not a board policy regarding cellphones. Each teacher made their own decision on how cellphones were used in the classroom.

I’d just leave it to teachers. It’s a good opportunity to teach appropriate use of technology.

If I’m talking to a class, I expect them to pay attention. That means not looking down at a phone, iPad, laptop, comic book, magazine, etc. My solution is the same old ancient teacher technique: just take away whatever the distraction is… and they can have it back at the end of class.

At the same time, having a class with internet connectivity is super valuable. Being able to look up stuff, and share it is great.

Knowing when it’s appropriate to use a device or not is a great skill to teach kids… and some adults.

1 Like

You speak of distraction in respect to the teacher. I maintain it’s a distraction to students proximal to the user. A giggle hear, a volume adjustment there…Some kids need as much concentration as they can muster to get through a course.
Telling a student that their phone is a distraction to others can lead to descention among themselves as well.
Keep them in the lockers.
Alright, I’m done.
Stepping away from the soapbox.