Car help again

ok i got my new starter installed, and so far everything is good.

Is there any signs when you need to flush your transmission fluid?

if your vehicle has an automatic transmission when the fluid smells burnt or is very dark, then you should have it changed. As for a manual shift they are generally good for the life of the vehicle but, it wouldn’t hurt to change it if you have alot of milage on it. Check the owners manual or the dealer for the correct type of fluid. The generally take 5w30 engine oil or some sort of specialized lubricant.

I wouldn’t just put 5w30 in your tranny (especially if it’s a Ford). Most vehicles require a specific Automatic Transmission Fluid, that contains the proper additives and lubricants for that manufacturer. Your best bet is to check your owner’s manual.

Question 1: It’s an automatic, right?

Question 2: What symptoms are you experiencing? Did the shop/person that installed your starter recommend it? Do you experience slipping? Noise? Have you checked the transmission oil? Has it been leaking? If it’s there, is it dark brown or black? There should (but might not necessarily) be a dipstick.

Question 3: It’s a 93 Geo Metro, so assuming it’s an automatic, it’ll be a 3-speed that takes Dexron-II fluid, which has been superceded by Dexron-III (also known as Mercon). If it’s a 5-speed, it’ll take 80W-90, and you probably won’t be reverse-flushing it.

Long and short of it is, I’m pretty sure that you’ve owned that car for a number of years, and if you’ve never had any work/service done to the tranny, you could probably use some.

You’ve been driving too many Japaneese vehicles. 70s-early 80s Fords take type F, the rest are Dexron/Mercon, pretty much all GMs and Mopars are Dexron/Mercon too.

If you want the effect of a shift kit, without installing one. Put a bottle or two of type F into a Dexron/Mercon tranny. It has a friction modifier in it which makes the clutches and bands grab firmer. Contrary to popular belief, firm shifts are good, as you spend less time in the midst of a shift with the clutches half applied and slipping. Smooth shifts burn bands. Say no to butter.

Come on now Eso: if they expected you to change your tranny filter/fluid, they would have put a drain hole in, right?

I getting some jumpy shifting, it is an automatic. Like when im going up a hill it will jump between i think its second and third.
Also, I park on an up hill and some times when i put it in drive its not in gear or something. Then all of a sudden it will jump in gear and kick and start going. So I always start in low gear then shift.

if it’s in gear, and you hit the gas and your engine just revs, that’s a bad thing

check your transmission fluid, make sure it’s running and in P or N when you check it. if it’s low, add some, wait for a sec, and check it again until it’s flow

otherwise, bad bad hateful things are happening in your transmission, like it’s clogged up (which a flush might fix), or the internal clutches are burning out which might mean a new transmission

[quote=“yngwie_69”]ILike when im going up a hill it will jump between i think its second and third.
[/quote]

That’s not neccesarily a sign that something is wrong with your transmission. Unless of course it’s something that just started happening on hills that you know for a fact it didn’t before.

Rangerwreck: Just got back into town tonight, happened to take the Zedder for a ride up Crestview way… I got all hot and bothered when I saw the size of your…

cowl induction hood scoop :wink:

[quote=“rangerwreck”]

You’ve been driving too many Japaneese vehicles. 70s-early 80s Fords take type F, the rest are Dexron/Mercon, pretty much all GMs and Mopars are Dexron/Mercon too.

If you want the effect of a shift kit, without installing one. Put a bottle or two of type F into a Dexron/Mercon tranny. It has a friction modifier in it which makes the clutches and bands grab firmer. Contrary to popular belief, firm shifts are good, as you spend less time in the midst of a shift with the clutches half applied and slipping. Smooth shifts burn bands. Say no to butter.[/quote]

By the way, I never said that. You quoted the wrong person.

[quote=“T-Rav”]

If you want the effect of a shift kit, without installing one. Put a bottle or two of type F into a Dexron/Mercon tranny. It has a friction modifier in it which makes the clutches and bands grab firmer. Contrary to popular belief, firm shifts are good, as you spend less time in the midst of a shift with the clutches half applied and slipping. Smooth shifts burn bands. Say no to butter.

By the way, I never said that. You quoted the wrong person.[/quote]

Yeah, I saw that as well. Fixed his quote to refer to the right person.

Odd…

Haha, yeah! The scoop is looking not too bad these days. Just about finished it, actually. The body will be just about ready for paint in a few weeks now.

The best part though, is door handles. Or lack of thereof. And the keychain that opens the door when you push a button :smile: The mailman was stoked when I showed it to him, anyway…

Ricer mod!

I need neons

I also have a strange problem with an older blue car. When I’m at a stop sign or light, and I decide to go, and push down my pedal. The engine makes this very loud noise and something else near the rear of the car makes this really terrible screaching sound (sometimes the sound is accompanied by smoke) and two black stains come out on the road behind the the car. Even through 1st and 2nd gear, (automatic transmission also) but when it gets to third, the car starts to go fast again, and the black stains go away… I checked the transmission fluid, and its ok, and so is the engine oil. I don’t know what the problem is. But just like yngwie_69, the transmission shifts kinda hard and even just driving around town, when the car shifts, that screeching noise comes back for just a moment. I think maybe the shocks need to get replaced too, because when this all happens, the front of the car lifts up a bit, which is kinda weird and its really hard to steer…

Any ideas? Fuel consumption is also not the best.

[quote=“orangetang”]I also have a strange problem with an older blue car. When I’m at a stop sign or light, and I decide to go, and push down my pedal. The engine makes this very loud noise and something else near the rear of the car makes this really terrible screaching sound (sometimes the sound is accompanied by smoke) and two black stains come out on the road behind the the car. Even through 1st and 2nd gear, (automatic transmission also) but when it gets to third, the car starts to go fast again, and the black stains go away… I checked the transmission fluid, and its ok, and so is the engine oil. I don’t know what the problem is. But just like yngwie_69, the transmission shifts kinda hard and even just driving around town, when the car shifts, that screeching noise comes back for just a moment. I think maybe the shocks need to get replaced too, because when this all happens, the front of the car lifts up a bit, which is kinda weird and its really hard to steer…

Any ideas? Fuel consumption is also not the best.[/quote]

sounds like your all wheel drive is broken :frowning:

[quote=“orangetang”]I also have a strange problem with an older blue car. When I’m at a stop sign or light, and I decide to go, and push down my pedal. The engine makes this very loud noise and something else near the rear of the car makes this really terrible screaching sound (sometimes the sound is accompanied by smoke) and two black stains come out on the road behind the the car. Even through 1st and 2nd gear, (automatic transmission also) but when it gets to third, the car starts to go fast again, and the black stains go away… I checked the transmission fluid, and its ok, and so is the engine oil. I don’t know what the problem is. But just like yngwie_69, the transmission shifts kinda hard and even just driving around town, when the car shifts, that screeching noise comes back for just a moment. I think maybe the shocks need to get replaced too, because when this all happens, the front of the car lifts up a bit, which is kinda weird and its really hard to steer…

Any ideas? Fuel consumption is also not the best.[/quote]

I think you’re entire engine is broken… Start by replacing all the parts, and be sure to go with stock parts, as the warrantee will be void if you dont use them.

See, that is odd. Someone else I spoke to about this said that some rear tires like these on would fix.
http://www.speedunlimited.com/M54-ET-Street-Rad.gif
You say engine, he says tires, jesus says all-wheel drive.

sounds like your limited slip diff works pretty good :smile:

i think we might need to see a pic of this car to be sure though