Car guys, help me out

Our van’s front right tire/wheel has been making a ticking sound for the last couple weeks now. It speeds/slows down with the vehicle, and it completely stops when the van turns slightly.

Any suggestions as to what it could be? It’s a 96 Dodge Caravan if that helps.

It is the warning thingy on your brakes. You need to remove it. There is still life on your brakes, it is just a reminder to get them serviced in the near future.
Happened to me before.

Have you ever listened to the radio show “Car Talk”?
Check it out at http://www.cartalk.com/
It’s pretty cool and very funny

[quote=“smartass”]Our van’s front right tire/wheel has been making a ticking sound for the last couple weeks now. It speeds/slows down with the vehicle, and it completely stops when the van turns slightly.

Any suggestions as to what it could be? It’s a 96 Dodge Caravan if that helps.[/quote]

PM Eso, he might know. The guys at Rainbow are pretty good with that shit, I doubt it would cost much for a diagnosis. The only problem with that is, once you find out it’s a hazard to safety, you’ll probably want to fix it. Fixing stuff costs money. My advice would be to turn up the radio, or remove your muffler. The sound wont go away, but you’ll forget about it soon enough. Seriously though, it could be lots of things, from a rock in the tire, to a worn brakes. Get it looked at by someone who knows their shit.

Trust me, it is a warning device noise on her brakes. Exact same thing happened to me last year.
I believe it is a little tab of some sort that can be removed. Ask a mechanically inclinded friend to do that first. If that still doesnt rectify the problem, then spend your money to take it in. :smile:

Dude, don’t PM me.

If it goes away when turning, I’d hazard a guess and say it’s the wheel bearing. But, really, that’s just a guess.

Spring maintenance service at Rainbow Chrysler:

$49.95 gets you a lube job, oil and filter change, tire rotation, and 42 point inspection that covers brakes, suspension, exhaust, cooling system, and general roadworthiness. Call now and receive a free Mopar Care-Care Kit, absolutely free with your servicing!

So, any ‘ticking sound’ means your brakes might need to be replaced soon? I have only ever heard of those devices makinga squeeling sound. It could be a CV joint, a bearing, LOOSE lugs nuts… I’m not a mechanic, nor am I very mechanically inclined, but ticks and knocks have been signs of something being badly worn or out of adjustment, in my expereince. My advice is take it in. Better safe than sorry, right?

Just make sure your mechanic doesn’t have boat payments to make

Brakes squeal, not tick. If this noise (because you said it was related to speed) had anything to do with the brakes, they’d probably get pretty damn hot.

Like Landon said, it could be tons of things, from a spot on the tire to a cracked axle. I have to deal with stuff like that at work all the time (sometimes people call on cell phones while driving and hold their phones out the window and say, “Can you hear that?”). If it worries you, have it looked at.

$29.99 brake and front end inspection at Rainbow.

$600.00 if you’re Hoshq.

Plus we’ll turn your steering wheel crooked.

[quote=“Eso”]
$49.95 gets you a lube job, oil and filter change, tire rotation, and 42 point inspection that covers brakes, suspension, exhaust, cooling system, and general roadworthiness. Call now and receive a free Mopar Care-Care Kit, absolutely free with your servicing![/quote]

yes its true…just did that to our vehicle (caravan) and got the care kit. very cool…just when I ran out of car wash suds too.

occam’s razor: first look at the tires for a tack or something stuck in the outside edge?

Yeah, sometimes rocks get jammed in your tread and they’ll make a ticking sound like that.

There is an anti-rattle clip that holds your break pads taught in their mounts, could be it’s worked free or something. Possibly a warped rotar, but I doubt it. A warped rotar will cause breaking to be choppy.

It’s probably just a rock in the tread hitting the ground on every rotation. As you turn your tires warp and the piece no longer hits the road so you don’t hear it.

Probably nothing major. Either try and dig it out, or else turn up the music and forget about it.

nah, its the same problem the firefly was having, its the wheel bearings i presume, it would always be there but not as loud when you turn.

we had to get the wheel bearings replaced… or… re-packed… i dont remember… but If no rock… then its them.

[quote=“Eso”]

$49.95 gets you a lube job, oil and filter change, tire rotation, and 42 point inspection that covers brakes, suspension, exhaust, cooling system, and general roadworthiness. Call now and receive a free Mopar Care-Care Kit, absolutely free with your servicing![/quote]

How long is that deal on for? I really need a oil change… and if i get the 42 point inspection i know theres gonna probably be like 41 things wrong with my car. Actually its in pretty good condition… only got hit once by some crazy ass that forgot to turn.

Hehehehe lube.