Candle Light Vigil November 26, 2012

Our population is only 12,000…Calgary has a population of 1,096,833 (that is over 91 times the population of Prince Rupert)! Why do you compare the two? They are in NO WAY similar. We have attempted to put bylaws in place for licensing. It doesn’t work here. The people responsible for the suffering have dumped these cats and left town. We have no city based shelter to house these animals; neither our SPCA nor our group have any foster homes! We do not have the man power to enforce these laws. The street cat population is much worse than you realize and something must be done to help these animals. Euthanizing will not work either due to the vacuum effect and if we did remove them all we would be over run with rodents and disease. We are a unique community with one huge problem. By standing out front, standing in the weather that these poor animals live in day in and day out, we show that we are supporting these poor creatures and we are serious.

Please be aware Kim that i think you are new to the forum, ANYONE is allowed to post, not just the ones who may agree with you. And a little humility on your part would be nice. We know you have worked with cats for years as you remind us every chance you get, BTW those chances seem to run now on the backs of the people who are trying something new. We hadn’t heard about you for years,as far as cats go anyway, but as soon as someone else tries to do something different, IE: Alice, there you are. Yes, you have the knowledge about cats but give someone else a chance. And as for comparing cities, that is all I have heard, the parliament Hill cat sanctuary etc., is that not a comparison? You are not the only one who helps cats in this town, believe me, many do but don’t look for recognition. Best of luck to Alice and HER goal.

Prince Rupert is the place I know that has a cat problem worse than Vancouver, based on how many times my car gets peed on by them. Favorite spots are the wheels and the air intake inlet.

You have not heard from me for years because I gave birth to a child and have had 5 emergency surgeries to stay alive!!! I have always been here and I am backing Alice. I am aware I am not the only one but I cannot speak on what other are doing only on what I am doing. I came on board to help Alice! This is not a new battle. It is the same one that has been going on for as long as I can remember…Alice has banned us together and we now have a louder voice. If you don’t like the facts I have posted fine. Just because you have not heard from me does not mean I have gone away. I am giving the same information Alice has given me as well as others. I am not speaking simply for myself but for Alice and others as well. I am not sitting high on my horse as you seem to think. I know who else helps the cats and they are angels in my eyes. They too are fighting for them but I choose to also use my voice. They have the hard job of going out there day after day in the weather we have to help these animals. Only recently my health has been good enough that I am able to go back out and help. As you said anyone is allowed to post, so I am. If I see facts that are incorrect then… My chances are not “on the back of these people” it is FOR THEM! Hate me if you will but I will fight for what these people are working so hard for on all fronts if I must. Do you even know what my role is in all of this? Do you know what I am currently doing? NO! Do you know I was ASKED to be at that meet just one hour before?! NO! As I have said before…learn all you facts before you speak.

Well stated & so true. Thank you!

[quote=“katray”]Well Kim now that we have everyone’s attention there is more than one way to skin a cat and get money for your cause.

Take a look at Calgary and “The Responsible Pet Owner Bylaw”

calgary.ca/CSPS/ABS/Pages/An … bylaw.aspx

With the licensing of cats (there is more than just the cats, you have read into it) they have managed to basically do what you want.

That is all well and good but Calgary is huge, progressive, pro-active, oil rich community. Prince Rupert is a small, financially challenged community that is struggling to catch up. Apples to oranges but that doesn’t mean we can’t aspire to do better. “When we know better, we do better”.
Also, where there is a will, there is a way … and yes, a helping hand may be requested now and then.

So instead of crying the blues swinging back and forth with candles ask the city to change their licence for pets.

Ask them to look into what Calgary has accomplished.

“Calgary, when it comes to animal control, is the envy of the continent.”[/quote]

This is a united front … make no mistake.

[quote=“mcsash”]cody
im just saying its the candle light vigil is silly…you seem to agree…

i dont disagree with the program just shouldnt be funded to a large extent by the tax payer at the municipal level[/quote]

a) Candle light vigil got your attention didn’t it … so silly? Perhaps. Effective … clearly.

b) Funded to a large extent? Not so … As with any funding programs, it is not a free ride & the requesting group must come up with some of the funding themselves. The SPCA needs $7,500 which is 50% of the amount of funding requested.

Volunteers will be only to pleased to assist with additional labour and anything else that is needed to ensure success of the program which, I imagine, will include going out into the field in the dark in some pretty unsavory places, to set & check on traps, welfare of the animals & anything else that helps. This will be a team effort.

YES!!!

[quote=“katray”]Do what Spokane did!

video.kxly.com/watch.php?id=12260[/quote]

Again - Spokane is a big community. I haven’t seen the video but just pointing out - apples and oranges. That doesn’t mean we can’t implement some of their workable ideas. :smile:

[quote=“katray”]http://www.spokanecity.org/services/documents/smc/?Section=10.24.030&Find=cats

Title 10 Regulation of Activities
Division II. License Code

Chapter 10.24 Animals
Article I. Miscellaneous

Section 10.24.030 Impoundment
Animal at Large.
Any animal running at large or any unlicensed animal running at large may be immediately impounded by the animal control officer or a police officer.

Notice of Animal Impoundment.
Any animal control officer upon apprehension of an animal, makes a complete register, entering the breed, color, and sex of the animal and whether or not the animal is licensed. If the animal is licensed, the officer enters the name and address of the owner or keeper and the number of the license tag.

If reasonably possible, the officer, in his discretion, immediately returns the animal to its recorded owner or keeper.

If it is not reasonably possible to immediately return the animal to its owner or keeper, the animal control shelter notifies the owner or keeper within forty-eight hours by mail, telephone or personal notice that the animal has been impounded and where it may be redeemed upon payment of applicable fees.

Animal Holding Period.
Any dog or cat wearing a current City animal license is held for the owner or keeper for ten days from the time of impoundment, including weekends and excluding holidays.

All unlicensed dogs shall be scanned for forms of electronic identification. Any unlicensed dog is held for seventy-two hours from the time of impoundment, including weekends and excluding holidays. In the instance a dog has been micro chipped or has some other traceable source of identification or tag that provides the animal control agency with information as to the dog’s owner, but is not licensed, the dog will be held for five days.

All unlicensed cats shall be scanned for forms of electronic identification. There shall be no required holding period for unlicensed cats. At the discretion of the City’s animal control agency, the length of time an unlicensed cat may be held depends on:

the temperament of the cat;

whether the cat is feral and/or dangerous to the safety of humans or other animals;

if the animal is sick or injured;

if there is capacity at the designated shelter area for cats; and

whether placement through adoption is available.

In the instance a cat has been micro chipped or has some other traceable source of identification or tag that provides the animal control agency with information as to the cat’s owner, but is not licensed, the cat will be held for five days.

All animals not claimed after the appropriate waiting period become the property of the animal shelter agency and may be put up for adoption to the public or euthanized in a humane manner.

Injured, diseased or wild animals need not be detained for the holding period but may be disposed of in a humane manner at any time at the discretion of the animal shelter agency.

License Requirement.
Any dog or cat adopted or reclaimed must be licensed.

The animal license fee may be refunded to an adopter if a written request for refund is made and the animal is returned to the shelter within fourteen days after adoption.

Animal Redemption.
An impounded animal is released to its owner or custodian upon presentation of proof of ownership and payment of the appropriate fees set forth in SMC 8.02.080.

At the discretion of the administration of the animal control authority, all or part of the redemption fee may be waived.
Date Passed: Monday, July 21, 2008

ORD C34280 Section 1[/quote]

Again - apples & oranges & not necessarily workable … and really where is the humanity. What if people are away on vacation & their pet gets away from the sitter etc. This is perhaps for a community that is without some heart but needs a way to deal with volume.
We don’t even have after hours animal control for animals in distress …

[quote=“Super K”]Let me start off by saying that Spokane is a DIFFERENT CITY, Washington is IN A DIFFERENT COUNTRY, and that was FOUR YEARS AGO! How many of you saying to kill off these poor creatures know anything about our community? How many of you saying to kill them off have worked the streets with these animals and actually done TNR? I have and very successfully in this community for over 20 years! Do you understand the impact it would have on this city if they were all killed off? These animals are here ONLY because of irresponsible humans. They did not ask to be living a life that no living creature should. Our city is a small, international port and fishing community. If we murdered these animals what do you think would happen to our mouse and rats populations?! What animal carries the Hunta Virus…MICE!! What animal is the cause for the Plague…RATS!! If we “did what Spokane did” we would be over run with mice and rats within months. They actually do “serve” our community by keeping a tight control on these rodents. If not for these “voiceless working citizens”, our community would have a serious disease and rodent issue. All we are asking is that the females be given a chance to have a healthy, happy life. By being bred over and over they bodies give all that they have to raising kittens; they can even get pregnant while nursing! By spaying and neutering we do not just control the population, we give them healthier lives! By spaying and neutering the do not wander and form clowders where “new comers” are not allowed, thereby the clowder will not increase in size. By feeding them healthy regular diets they can be as healthy as a “domestic” pet. How do I know? After 20 years of TNR in this community I have PROVEN it works. The “Vacuum Effect” shows that euthanizing DOES NOT WORK. All that happens, when you “remove” cats from an area…more move in. This problem is not the fault of the cats, it is the fault of the citizens who have put them there in the first place. These cats deserve respect and a healthy life (as best as we can make it).

The Vacuum Effect: Why Catch and Kill Doesn’t Work: alleycat.org/document.doc?id=534.

If you want to “quote” from other countries, how about this one: a recent national survey conducted in the U.S. by Alley Cat Rescue. prnewswire.com/news-releases … 63395.html The survey states, “If you need proof that many cats can live long lives in colonies: One quarter of the groups report that their colony cats ar
e 6 to 8 years old. Thirty-five percent report their cats are between 9 and 12 years old, and over 14% report feral cats 13 years old and some even older” Further, “One third reported that there were 26 to 30 kittens in each colony before TNR; 42.86% said there were 0-5 kittens in colonies after TNR.” It is the unmanaged, out-of-control population of cats that is suffering; not managed colony cats.

Money is better spent elsewhere? That has always been their “excuse”. They spend tonnes of money on signs we don’t need. They spend tonnes of money on “road repairs and maintenance” yet I seem to find that most of our roads are in horrible condition. There will always be areas that money needs to be spent. Now is the time to put it towards helping clean up the suffering the governing body of our community has allowed “its citizens” to create. If our city council and mayor show pride in the “voiceless, working citizens” of our community, the people will follow!

Unless you know the “facts” of our community do not just make blanket statements and compare us to other cities elsewhere. Do not use things that are in the past. This is now. Ignoring the problem has not worked. TNR HAS WORKED, my work in the community has proven it! The city has KNOWN that it works for as long as 15 years.

Why the candle light vigil? To show our unity. To show we care about our voiceless citizens. To say we have had enough of the councils and mayor ignoring the issue. IT IS TIME TO STAND UP AND GIVE THESE VOICELESS CITIZENS A VOICE![/quote]

WELL SAID, Super K. This town has many, many dumpy junky hoods both in the ‘burbs’ and downtown that wouldn’t fly in a modern Canadian or American city but our local government allows it. To me, that shows a lack of respect in the community they govern. Most places would be thrilled to have the volunteer willingness to assist their SPCA – Free labour!

Junky neighborhoods give the cats places to hide but more than that, they are rodent magnets. The cats in these hoods that are out of a TNR program are not reproducing but they are hunting and no self-respecting rodent wants part of that. Eventually, the problem will resolve itself. Right now, we need to clean up the mess that lack of caring, empathy and respect for our community & living creatures has created. It is time to stop the cycle of abuse in all aspects of our town & perhaps eventually, Prince Rupert will be a community to look up to - maybe an example for other small communities. Perhaps, we will then not be considered as the armpit of the North, full of Hillbilly hood-rat mentalities. We need more Civic Pride and that extends to our unfortunate dumped pets.

In response to your human neuter/spay cartoon … Yes, some people should not be allowed to reproduce however, family pets & former family pets, should not be allowed to at all. Just sayin …

[quote=“Super K”]We have given them all this information before. They haven chosen, for decades to simply ignore the facts and the situation. I have given them information about Calgary and numerous other communities…they “don’t hear it”… Our vigil is to show we are serious! That we have had enough of them ignoring the issue. We have attempted to implement bylaws for cats in the past…it won’t work here. Most of the abandoned cats on our streets are there because people have dumped them there and left the community. When I first came here our population was over 20,000; now we are only about 12,000. The licensing of cats will not work here; the people responsible for the suffering will not pay for licences, we do not have the man power to enforce the bylaws, and we have no where to house ANY of the animals we are trying to help. We are NOT singing the blues and waving candles. We are standing united, showing them we are not going away, that we are tired of them ignoring the problem. It brings attention to the problem in a way they can no longer ignore.

[quote=“katray”]Well Kim now that we have everyone’s attention there is more than one way to skin a cat and get money for your cause.

Take a look at Calgary and “The Responsible Pet Owner Bylaw”

calgary.ca/CSPS/ABS/Pages/An … bylaw.aspx

With the licensing of cats (there is more than just the cats, you have read into it) they have managed to basically do what you want.

So instead of crying the blues swinging back and forth with candles ask the city to change their licence for pets.

Ask them to look into what Calgary has accomplished.

“Calgary, when it comes to animal control, is the envy of the continent.”[/quote]

[/quote]

Licensing cats would also require more animal control officers which translates into more expenses for the City. Our goal is to reduce the need for this type of program and spend any money where it is really needed. The SPCA manager has stated in the article that she will be following the program to confirm it is working.

I don’t believe Kim ever went away from helping the cats. She had a family & was otherwise occupied for a few years. Her family is clearly older & perhaps will be “mommy’s little helper”. Make no mistake though - There is a large group of us that have been doing our own thing to help the cats over the years and now we are starting to work collectively. This has never been about any one person … it is all about the welfare of the cats and if ever a united front was needed, now is the time and change is afoot.

For those wanting different view of TNR check out this site.

tnrrealitycheck.com/

“Not good use of municipal, county or state funds.”

Al I ask from the City before handing out $7500 is that do your research and be prepared to defend your decision in giving out money that this city has little of.

Don’t get me wrong, I do love cats, but I don’t believe there is enough science in TNR to fund this project. Will this be a bottomless bucket that we have to keep supporting if we do?

The SPCA didn’t ask for $7500… they asked the city to match funds. The SPCA offered the city $3500 and simply asked them to match the funds! As for “Not good use of municipal, county, or state funds.” and the link you posted…maybe you should do more research. TNR does work, it is a well documented fact and has been proven to work all over North America including our city. The bottomless bucket you speak of is what we are trying to fix!

[quote=“katray”]For those wanting different view of TNR check out this site.

tnrrealitycheck.com/

“Not good use of municipal, county or state funds.”

Al I ask from the City before handing out $7500 is that do your research and be prepared to defend your decision in giving out money that this city has little of.

Don’t get me wrong, I do love cats, but I don’t believe there is enough science in TNR to fund this project. Will this be a bottomless bucket that we have to keep supporting if we do?[/quote]

For more information:

The Vacuum Effect: Why Catch and Kill Doesn’t Work: alleycat.org/document.doc?id=534.

New Jersey Animal Welfare Task Force Report (Please refer to page 78, “Trap, Neuter & Return”) slic.njstatelib.org/slic_files/d … 622004.pdf It is worth noting that over 100 communities in New Jersey have successfully adopted TNR. If it is successful in Atlantic City, NJ, why wouldn’t it be successful in Prince Rupert?

As to the cats suffering, the city council may be interested in a recent national survey conducted in the U.S. by Alley Cat Rescue. prnewswire.com/news-releases … 63395.html The survey states, “If you need proof that many cats can live long lives in colonies: One quarter of the groups report that their colony cats ar
e 6 to 8 years old. Thirty-five percent report their cats are between 9 and 12 years old, and over 14% report feral cats 13 years old and some even older” Further, “One third reported that there were 26 to 30 kittens in each colony before TNR; 42.86% said there were 0-5 kittens in colonies after TNR.” It is the unmanaged, out-of-control population of cats that is suffering; not managed colony cats.

TNR may be the only humane method of feral cat control, but more importantly it is the most effective method – and the only cost-effective method – of feral cat management. With willing citizens volunteering and already spending their valuable time and hard earned money on feral cat management, the least the City of Prince Rupert can do is officially harness the existing efforts of its caring citizens.

I’ve done a bit of research on this myself today and I’m blown away at just how common of a problem this feral cat issue is, and how common trap and neuter programs are. Below is a link to one of the articles I found.

cbc.ca/news/canada/windsor/s … ogram.html

Feral cats is a community problem and it would be responsible for the municipality to assist those who are spearheading the initiative.