Can RIM (now BlackBerry) regain its mojo?

Interesting times ahead in mobile computing.

BB 10 Launch

Dont get me wrong, I’m a firm believer that the iPhone is the best phone you can currently get. In terms of it’s build quality and an operating system that may be closed but it’s secure stable and runs good. However what I see with BlackBerry 10, there is a chance that BlackBerry Loyalists that went to either iPhone or android may make a return to the BlackBerry platform. I especially like how the BlackBerry 10 operating system has both the secure business side and the personal side.

Indeed. I will be very curious to see what happens with this launch. If BB 10 is successful and puts more competition into the mobile computing market, then we as mobile end users will all benefit. If BB 10 falls flat I think that Black Berry will be finished.

If its as solid as my old curve was (that thing got abused hard) and has at least as good reception/battery life and has wireless tethering built in then I’ll get one. I LOVED my blackberry but the one I have for work right now is a total piece of shit.

I think one thing to remember is that we tend to focus on what products are cool or selling in North America. I’ve already seen news media stating that the iphone is loosing support in Asia, which is one huge market. Hopefully, Blackberry markets to the world, and not just North America.

I thought the Samsung Galaxy 3S or whatever is among the current top selling and most powerful smartphones on the market. For me anyway, since about the time HTC and Samsung started pumping out Galaxies and Desires, etc, I was hooked on Android. iOS was great for Mom, or kids or other people that wanted something simple, or wanted an iPod they can talk on.

I’m still loyal to Android, and if I needed to purchase a phone right now it would be powered by Android. That said, after complaining about how useless my company Blackberry was, I was given an iPhone 4S, and have had it for about a year now without too many complaints, and it doesn’t really feel outdated yet, which is a very good thing.

Apple seemed to beat Android to proper OWA and Anyconnect support, which for many was a major deal breaker, though now the playing field seems to be pretty balanced in that area.

I honestly hate RIM. From about a week after I bought a Pearl, I had a funny feeling about RIM. Later when I “upgraded” to a Curve, and everyone at work ended up with one, I really started to despise their products. Especially when it came time to sync or import contacts through their bogus desktop software. It still boggles my mind that it was as bad as it was. I bought the Desire. Years later when my current employer handed me another Curve, and I quickly realized they had done absolutely nothing to improve it, I was even more disgusted with RIM. Final straw? Installing the desktop client and realizing it was worse!

I offered to use my own phone and cover the 200-300/month bill just to avoid the Blackberry. It is that bad.

As much as I’d like to see RIM succeed, it’s too little too late for me. I can’t think of a reason why to get one, and felt like I was being lied to or cheated when I saw it on Daily Planet yesterday, being praised!

For their sake, this better be more popular than Playbook was…

Looks like iPhone might still be in the lead as of last quarter 2012, but not by much. Windows with only 2.6%? Ouch! Wait, RIM isn’t mentioned at all!

[quote=“orangetang”]
I honestly hate RIM. [/quote]

Yeah, I’ve never owned a BB and from what I’ve seen I see no reason to do so. I’m quite happy with my HTC Evo. My teenager recently bought an iphone 5 and that is a nice unit. In the future I will most likely stick with Android.
It will be interesting to see what the numbers are for BB 10.

[quote=“hitest”]

[quote=“orangetang”]
I honestly hate RIM. [/quote]

Yeah, I’ve never owned a BB and from what I’ve seen I see no reason to do so. I’m quite happy with my HTC Evo. My teenager recently bought an iphone 5 and that is a nice unit. In the future I will most likely stick with Android.
It will be interesting to see what the numbers are for BB 10.[/quote]

Having been a apple lover for many years, thanks to Mig, i have to say APPLE SUCKS ASS! Since Steve Jobs has been gone, that company has seriously gone down hill. Over priced laptops, over priced phones and hardware that really isn’t up todate… YET you pay a price that it is… No thanks…

I used to love my iphone, now i hate them, can’t stand them. They are so locked down and pain in the ass, oh itunes YOU SUCK TOO! Since converting to a a Samsung S3 love it. You can sure see why Samsung has a better audience, they really don’t lock you down, there are way more apps, AND BETTER ones too.

Hey look a iphone 3 then a 3g then a 3gs, then a 4 then a 4s, wait not over yet, look a NEW IPHONE 5, nope not new any more it’s now going to be a iphone 5s, Stay tuned for the iphone 6, then 6s then 7 then 7s… Apple you sure are a greedy company, look your stocks are going down too ! YA HOO!! Android phones are really giving them a GOOD RUN…!

So Jase sounds like a potential focus group of RIM for this phone, yet it sounds like he would get an Android instead.

news.yahoo.com/blackberry-shares … nance.html

[quote=“jase”]

[quote=“hitest”]

It will be interesting to see what the numbers are for BB 10.

Having been a apple lover for many years, thanks to Mig, i have to say APPLE SUCKS ASS! Since Steve Jobs has been gone, that company has seriously gone down hill. Over priced laptops, over priced phones and hardware that really isn’t up todate… YET you pay a price that it is… No thanks…

I used to love my iphone, now i hate them, can’t stand them. They are so locked down and pain in the ass, oh itunes YOU SUCK TOO! Since converting to a a Samsung S3 love it. You can sure see why Samsung has a better audience, they really don’t lock you down, there are way more apps, AND BETTER ones too.

Hey look a iphone 3 then a 3g then a 3gs, then a 4 then a 4s, wait not over yet, look a NEW IPHONE 5, nope not new any more it’s now going to be a iphone 5s, Stay tuned for the iphone 6, then 6s then 7 then 7s… Apple you sure are a greedy company, look your stocks are going down too ! YA HOO!! Android phones are really giving them a GOOD RUN…![/quote]

I know that i am going off topic here but i so love to bug Jase (because its so easy)
Your a fan of the galaxy s3 and how open android is eh?
then why is it that it seems like every week an android exploit is found like for example there is a webpage you could go to that just by visiting it could brick your phone.

There is a reason why apple keeps their phones OS in a closed state, and its for that reason why they are stable, dont crash. Oh and Jase there are more apps in the app store then google play, and once again you are mistaken. Take for example the ebay app, look at it on an android tablet and then an iPad you don’t need a panel of judges to see that the IOS version is far superior. Now i could go on.

Comparing IOS to Android is like comparing apples to apples. All arguments aside we are talking about freaking phones here, and yes apple will come out with a 5s and so on and so on, samsung will come out with their new phone and so on and so on. Readers of this topic take this as food for thought. What can they possibly add to these PHONES, other then faster and faster chipsets and better screens. I still have an iphone 4 im two years behind the curve. i have not upgraded yet because there is nothing that either camp can offer to make me want to upgrade.

[quote=“OMEGA”]I know that i am going off topic here but i so love to bug Jase (because its so easy)
then why is it that it seems like every week an android exploit is found like for example there is a webpage you could go to that just by visiting it could brick your phone.

There is a reason why apple keeps their phones OS in a closed state, and its for that reason why they are stable, dont crash. Oh and Jase there are more apps in the app store then google play, and once again you are mistaken. Take for example the ebay app, look at it on an android tablet and then an iPad you don’t need a panel of judges to see that the IOS version is far superior. Now i could go on.

Comparing IOS to Android is like comparing apples to apples. All arguments aside we are talking about freaking phones here, and yes apple will come out with a 5s and so on and so on, samsung will come out with their new phone and so on and so on. Readers of this topic take this as food for thought. What can they possibly add to these PHONES, other then faster and faster chipsets and better screens. I still have an iphone 4 im two years behind the curve. i have not upgraded yet because there is nothing that either camp can offer to make me want to upgrade.[/quote]

Samsung Galaxy SIII user here. One thing I hate about few of the apps on Google Play is that they’re usually ported from iOS with no effort to conform to Android app development guidelines, which is a really big no no and hence why eBay and Kijiji apps look inferior compared to the iOS version. For the most part, Android apps are fine.

As far as the Galaxy SIII in general, I had it for 3 months and lovin it. Only issues I have is the fit and finish is indeed inferior to the iPhone 5, but I’m not going to cry over that.

BTW, I don’t need iTunes to load musics to my phone.

BTW#2, 500px for Android isn’t censored. :mrgreen:

Well since this is an IOS/Android/RIM bashing thread, let me add this exciting news.
arstechnica.com/gadgets/2013/02/ … uary-21st/

[quote=“Dex”]Well since this is an IOS/Android/RIM bashing thread, let me add this exciting news.
arstechnica.com/gadgets/2013/02/ … uary-21st/[/quote]

This one’s even more interesting: ubuntu.com/devices/android

bgr.com/2012/12/19/blackberry-10 … 8x-259271/

[quote=“PLA”]

[quote=“OMEGA”]I know that i am going off topic here but i so love to bug Jase (because its so easy)

Comparing IOS to Android is like comparing apples to apples. All arguments aside we are talking about freaking phones here, and yes apple will come out with a 5s and so on and so on, samsung will come out with their new phone and so on and so on. Readers of this topic take this as food for thought. What can they possibly add to these PHONES, other then faster and faster chipsets and better screens. I still have an iphone 4 im two years behind the curve. i have not upgraded yet because there is nothing that either camp can offer to make me want to upgrade.[/quote]

Samsung Galaxy SIII user here. One thing I hate about few of the apps on Google Play is that they’re usually ported from iOS with no effort to conform to Android app development guidelines, which is a really big no no and hence why eBay and Kijiji apps look inferior compared to the iOS version. For the most part, Android apps are fine.

As far as the Galaxy SIII in general, I had it for 3 months and lovin it. Only issues I have is the fit and finish is indeed inferior to the iPhone 5, but I’m not going to cry over that.

BTW, I don’t need iTunes to load musics to my phone.

BTW#2, 500px for Android isn’t censored. :mrgreen:[/quote]

I like the fact that music is free to download on the SgIII :smile: and that you can add more memory, OR replace the battery EASILY! OR the fact that the screen is bigger to see things more clear, with out making the page bigger with pinch method.

Weird, apple had a exploit last week… Let’s not cry over what phone is more secure…

[quote=“jase”]

Weird, apple had a exploit last week… Let’s not cry over what phone is more secure…[/quote]

Oh… you mean this one?