Bridging Drives

Is it possible to bridge two partitions I have? I have a C: and D: on one physical drive and I want to make them 1 C:.

What I tried to do is change the D: to anallocated space (which is fine) and extend the C: to take up the unallocated space but I can’t extend a system drive.

What you want to look for is some sort of software RAID, I think. You may have to format the drives, though.

On Mac OS X, you just drag the drives you want to make part of the RAID onto a RAID utility, and it just works.

This guy made a floppy RAID:

ohlssonvox.8k.com/fdd_raid.htm

okay, climbed it because it’s there…
If I’m really bored, I will take 6 USB hubs out of packages, plug them into my machine and stick 24 flash drives into the hubs and try to make a ‘hot swappable flash RAID’ some day…

Sounds like you might want to use Partition Magic. I have used it a few times to slice off the end of a C: drive and either turn the machine into a dual boot system, or added a D: drive.

It sounds like you want to take the D: drive get rid of it then tack the space of D: onto C: and just make one big drive? If so Partition Magic can do that too…

But then again I may not have read your post right…

Well, I popped in the windows xp boot disk and deleted the D: partition but it wouldn’t let the C: extend iinto the unallocated space, even when I was in the process of re-installing windows. Oh well, I just left it as it is. Thanks anyways.

Arggh. you needed to fdisk and reclaim the drive first. You could still use Partition Magic and get it back. Or do install again and delete all the partitions, then tell it to grab all.

Tried that… Deleted both partitions to they both read “Unallocated space” and when I tell it to install windoze on the first unalocated space (16gb) it will only let me set the max at 16gb, no higher. Maybe cause the computer came with it pre-partitioned? Oh well, not really a big deal.

Wouldn’t let you delete all partitions and format as one? I’ve run into that. Have an old Mandrake install disk I use when MSoft pisses me off. XP should come with a proper partition manager on the boot CD.
Not f***disk, chuckdisk and misconfig!
and ping, tracert, netstat, ipconfig in the command prompt!, i mean why make windows and hide shit in the cmd?

Cause if it was on the desktop, most people wouldn’t understand what the hell it meant anyways. And it makes me feel like I’m, lets say hacking the main frame when I use command prompt. Cheap thrills.

[quote=“herbie_popnecker”]Wouldn’t let you delete all partitions and format as one? I’ve run into that. Have an old Mandrake install disk I use when MSoft pisses me off. XP should come with a proper partition manager on the boot CD.
Not f***disk, chuckdisk and misconfig!
and ping, tracert, netstat, ipconfig in the command prompt!, i mean why make windows and hide shit in the cmd?[/quote]

People that know command line stuff are getting rarer. I’d say most of the people I talk to a) dont know how to open a CLI window and b) what the hell to do there even if its open.

yes that’s true. customer was watching while I killed a virus and typed

C:\windows\system32>attrib -h -s -r lsd*.*

and noticed her jaw hanging slack… like I had a giant green brain sticking out of my skull (instead of knuckles hanging below my knees like her bf)

Some days I’d like a “Giant brain hat” at work. Last week I wanted a rubber chicken on a stick and a hat made of sticks so I could wave it across someone’s system and go "ooga booga, bolla wonga. There ya go!"
But I’d rather dress like Steve Martin “wild and crazy” show up at a big office where thay don’t know me and say in a weird voice “You computer. I em fixit.”

I have a cartoon at work that shows a guy putting bones and feathers on a computer while doing a dance around it, yelling out to another guy to try accessing the network again.

[quote]
But I’d rather dress like Steve Martin “wild and crazy” show up at a big office where thay don’t know me and say in a weird voice “You computer. I em fixit.”[/quote]

All the while wringing your hands, and muttering to yourself…

wasn’t that Robin Williams in a Hugh Grant movie “I em Doktorr”