Boil water advisory in effect

CBC link from the article above.

Niesh said that he had read every angry comment posted on Facebook over the last five weeks, but he had not received any direct phone calls and only one email on the subject to his city email account.

“This is not something that Facebook will solve for us,” he said.

Perhaps a first step in the “not something that Facebook will solve for us” strategy is to tell the mayor to stop posting his updates on Facebook.

Talk about mixed messages.

1 Like

Well… Wade is Lee’s anger translator afterall… :sweat_smile:

I appreciated that Lee decided to dive in to Facebook despite all that angry comments and shitposting being thrown around, especially from a certain Facebook group that’s known for being on the darker side of Rupert.

During the meeting, councillors called for residents to get off Facebook

ironic

I watched the whole 30 minute council meeting, I don’t think they’re asking the public to stop complaining on FB, but rather encouraging them to discuss directly to council members in person, phone, or e-mail. Wade even invited them to have their say at the first Committee of the Whole meeting.

However, I do say the comment from Reid Skelton-Morven isn’t really helpful.

Oh, that’s literally what CBC quoted them saying. “Stop complaining on facebook.”

I don’t think Facebook complaining is helpful either. And having the mayor post his information exclusively on Facebook isn’t helpful.

I’m an outsider looking in, but here are some observations:

• the city (and the mayor) have some clear and accurate information and messages. They’re positive.
  • putting these messages on Facebook is a negative, since they’re surrounded by conspiracies, nutbars, and whiners.
  • The city has a communications department, and I’m sure they’re pulling their hair out (or facepalming) every time the mayor posts on facebook.
  • pick a message, stick to it.

I mean, I wouldn’t want them to post their stuff on HTMF exclusively either. 'cause it would be surrounded by another, different group of nutbars, conspiracies (ALIENS!), and other bullshit.

But hey, like I said, I’m an outsider looking in. I am friends with the mayor on facebook, and I did contribute to his political campaign way back when. I think he’s doing a great job. He just needs to stop posting official shit on facebook. Or if he can’t stop doing that, then the rest of the city staff and council need to stop complaining about facebook :-). Pick a message and stick to it.

3 Likes

To be fair, HTMF is a reasonable level-headed internet forum in comparison to WTF Prince Rupert on FB… lol

1 Like

After much thought about what if he stops posting stuff on FB, I have to agree with you on this one. What’s the point of having a PR department if he posts messages only on FB?

2 Likes

:joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy:…joking lol

Update from City regarding boil water advisory