Before you vote

[quote=“fingahz”]

Whatever you think about what I said, you cannot take away the fact that we have never had an MP who was a represenative of the party in power for the last 30 years. We voted in a Reform/Alliance/ candidate for 3 straight terms while a Liberal was PM. Why the hell not bring in a Conservative now and get some half decent representation?? Rupert has always been an NDP stronghold and what has it brought us, really?? Heartache?? A pulp mill in turmoil?? We have always been an under-achieving, resource based community. You can all sit around and watch things as they stay the same…again. I’m voting for a change.[/quote]

Agreed.
I’m voting Consevative.
Stephen Harper is not the anti-christ, and we will not go straight to hell for voting Mike Scott. It will be interesting to speak with Liberal hard-liners a year from now and see how surprised they are that Martin’s prophecy of doom did not come true.

So you claim to be more clairvoyant than he?

Rod Taylor - CHP - has my X

I’m with Tim. I support family values; I just need to get Mr Taylor to agree to my view of what makes a family.

God is your family, and he wants the deed to your house.

I’d rather give the deed to God than to Enron Acceptance Corp. and Detrimental Finance Inc. who OWN the outift pretending it’s working on HIS behalf…

In the end, there is at least one good thing that will come out if the conservatives win: The PM will be from Western Canada. I hope that this fact alone will strenghten the ties of the West and that we bury the phrase “Western Alienation” forever.

Well in the end , Fingahz please say hi to Mr. Nathan Cullen . He is the man . Now seriously would you even consider buying gravel from the likes of a Mike Scott kind of guy. What a night.

[quote=“Illywhacker”]

I’m with Tim. I support family values; I just need to get Mr Taylor to agree to my view of what makes a family.[/quote]

I still can’t forget what he said in his closing speech during the all candidates forum back in 97; “we must also save people who are trapped in a homosexual culture of death.”

What I loved was when in the Terrace forum, a member of the audience asked him to clarify what he meant, and he spoke about how HIV rates are highest among gays. Right then, the NDP candidate Isaac Sobol–an MD, no less–held up his rebuttal card, and said how the rate was not high among gays, but that was in fact decreasing.

I may not like the NDP very much, but I have to admit I had a lot of respect for Dr. Sobol that day.

A funny thing about Sobol. When he first ran for an obscure party - the National Party, I believe - he was easily the most impressive candidate. He was smart, well-spoken and, most importantly, wonderfully earnest. Almost everyone who saw that debate said he was clearly the best candidate but his party was too obscure and, therefore, he was not an option.

Then, in '97, Sobol runs for the NDP and while, as you say, Stardog, he ran a campaign with integrity, he fell into the mechanics of the “established party,” regurgitating talking points and such. He had lost the off-the-cuff, honest manner and was now a party line creature. It was sad.

That’s the terrible thing about partisan, party politics. By the time you come off the other end of the conveyor belt, you’re not the same person because you’ve had to sell part of your soul.

Partisan politics is killing democracy using death by a thousand cuts. But can you imagine the chaos in a parliament composed of independents?? Could a country the size of Canada pull that off?

[quote=“Thoughtful Citizen”]

Partisan politics is killing democracy using death by a thousand cuts. But can you imagine the chaos in a parliament composed of independents?? Could a country the size of Canada pull that off?[/quote]

No, but it could be an ideal model for a EEE Senate. No party affiliation allowed, you could be a liberal, even a Liberal Party member, but not run for Senator as a Liberal. Only as an individual.

http://www.optimuscrime.com/uploaded_images/inaug-phonecall-724858.jpg

That is very funny and probably very close to reality.

**Canadian Press
Published: January 26, 2006 **

[quote]Stephen Harper used his first news conference as prime minister-designate Thursday to warn the United States to mind its own business when it comes to Canada’s Arctic.

The Conservative leader said he’ll stick to his campaign promise to bolster Canada’s military presence in the North and build big new military icebreakers. He was responding to comments Wednesday by U.S. Ambassador David Wilkins, who criticized the plans, claiming the Arctic passage as “neutral waters.”

Harper said Canada will do what it wants in its territory.

“The United States defends its sovereignty; the Canadian government will defend our sovereignty,” he said.

“It is the Canadian people that we get our mandate from, not the ambassador of the United States.”

Harper has promised to mend strained relations with the U.S., while standing firm for Canadian interests.

Arctic sovereignty has been a sensitive subject for decades, with American submarines and even ships entering northern waters without asking permission.

It was reported last month that a U.S. submarine travelled secretly through Canadian Arctic waters in November on its way to the North Pole. [/quote]

Well done fingahz. With news like that, you may make conservatives supporters out of us.

Well I figure that I have a good 18 months until the next election to work on you guys.

let’s just remember that the honeymoon phase has only just begun. I figure in 6-8 months, we’ll have a pretty good idea of whether or not they were blowing sunshine up our asses or not.

[quote=“fingahz”]

Well I figure that I have a good 18 months until the next election to work on you guys.[/quote]

And vice versa! :laughing:

So far things are looking kinda sunny out back.