Before you vote

Something to ponder…

Seems clear that we wil have at least a Conservative minority come election day. Wouldn’t it be nice to have an MP who is representing the party in power?? I cannot remember having this in my lifetime. Our riding has always gone against the grain and we have a chance to get good representation. I know that there will be many contributors to this site that will not likesuch a suggestion but think of the positives that it could mean for our riding. Just a thought.

Very old-time politics attitude. How many loads of fill do you need for you driveway?
Fingahz, I’m disappointed in you. Up until now, your opinion, albeit different than mine, always seemed to be supported by intelligent statements and good back-up reports. And now you throw it all away with this!!!
So what you are really saying is being in the government is better because the parti in power will reward you. It doesn’t matter if there’s a monkey running, as long as he is from the right party. That’s the logic that brought us the big joke of Bill Belsey. He got elected by the polls even after his infamous statement about not caring about the mill closure because he was going to Victoria anyway.
I know you’re thinking Cullen lied because of his vote for the budget. But ask yourself if Mike Scott will be better? Has he done things in the past to prove that? Does he have more integrity than the others? Is he the best to represent everyone in the riding? From what I’ve seen in previous threads, a lot of people would answer no to these questions. I hope these people don’t fall into the vote-for-the-party-that-will-win trap.

I think polls should be outlawed during election campaigns. I think they make us use our vote in a stupid way. Instead of looking at issues, a lot of people look at the polls to choose who to vote for.

This is the exact same thing my friend was telling me when I drove her home from school this morning. She said we should vote for the conservatives becuase, if Harper becomes the Prime Minister (chilling thought), we will be more likely to get what we ask for because our local MP will be of the same party.

I don’t think that same way, I vote for who I want to vote for and, in this case, I’ll be voting in hopes that the conservatives do NOT win. ^ Is so right, these polls are killing it. Peoples’ vote gets influenced so much by who is deemed to win and it really sucks.

A couple of examples on how polls influence elections and that people often do what fingahz suggests because of the polls:

BC 2001 election with 77 liberals elected out of 79 seats. Yes, a lot of people were upset with Glen Clark but to gain 77 seats? Polls gave the BC Libs this majority.

New Brunswick 1987 election with the Liberal party winning all the seats in the Provincial Legislature. I was there. I remember a poll giving Frank McKenna 60% of the intended votes released days before the election. So most people said ‘‘Hey, I better vote for the liberals so that we are with the governement.’’ Well everyone was with the governement. Mckenna himself, to his credit, realized that this wasn’t healthy and made sure that opposition parties had question time in the legislative assembly.
A healthy democracy is one where questions are being asked and hopefully answered.

Being able to ask scott to have the highway paved, is about as much as hes gunna get out of the government for this riding… but does that provide adequate healthcare for ciztizens??? NO!.. So why would you even consitter that thought… The more oposition in parlement, the less likely it is for the conservatives to hack at the needed socials programs. For the record when Scott was in power last, he had a poor track record for showing up for cacus meetings, and parlement… something like 40%. Cullen on the other hand nearly 100% turnout. So ask yourself, who is going to best represent us… Not Scott, if he cant be in Ottawa to do it.

Don’t forget that people voted for Nathan because of what he promised.

He then backpedalled on that promise to pass a vote to “keep the government from spending millions”, and to keep in line with the party.

It’s not Nathan’s fault - I genuinely like the guy. But it’s all about the politics, and the “good of the party” and all that BS.

Those of you who believe that voting for what a person promises during an election, or that a given MP or party here in the sticks will make a difference, are living in a dream world.

All I know is that 12 years is too long to be in power.

True that!!

All I know is that Stephen Harper has a Big Americanized Additude, and thinks that Canada should be fighting shoulder to shoulder with the Americans in Iraq… Thats BS… last thing Canada needs is terrorst threat gages in every city. Speaking of the gage… there is one in rupert, down at the Alaska ferrie terminal, and its orange right now… I laughed my ass off when i saw it.

[quote=“Delirious”]

All I know is that Stephen Harper has a Big Americanized Additude, and thinks that Canada should be fighting shoulder to shoulder with the Americans in Iraq… Thats BS… last thing Canada needs is terrorst threat gages in every city. Speaking of the gage… there is one in rupert, down at the Alaska ferrie terminal, and its orange right now… I laughed my ass off when i saw it.[/quote]

Here’s a question has it ever been low?

ps… someone should shoot holes in it :laughing:

Most likely not… we should protest against the citizen scare chart in prince rupert… The yanks are the worlds biggest cowards.

Whatever you think about what I said, you cannot take away the fact that we have never had an MP who was a represenative of the party in power for the last 30 years. We voted in a Reform/Alliance/ candidate for 3 straight terms while a Liberal was PM. Why the hell not bring in a Conservative now and get some half decent representation?? Rupert has always been an NDP stronghold and what has it brought us, really?? Heartache?? A pulp mill in turmoil?? We have always been an under-achieving, resource based community. You can all sit around and watch things as they stay the same…again. I’m voting for a change.

[quote=“fingahz”]

Whatever you think about what I said, you cannot take away the fact that we have never had an MP who was a represenative of the party in power for the last 30 years. We voted in a Reform/Alliance/ candidate for 3 straight terms while a Liberal was PM. Why the hell not bring in a Conservative now and get some half decent representation?? Rupert has always been an NDP stronghold and what has it brought us, really?? Heartache?? A pulp mill in turmoil?? We have always been an under-achieving, resource based community. You can all sit around and watch things as they stay the same…again. I’m voting for a change.[/quote]

Cuz if enough people think that way you WILL have an MP who is an inneffectual backbencher. Harper would be well advised to tell him to sit there and STFU. You’re prepared to swallow every distasteful policy Mikey stands for, just in the hope we’ll get a few potato skins tossed our way? That’s how Atlantic Canada’s though for too long and it’s done them little good. Re-elect Cullen and watch them try to bribe their way in next time round. Just like the Libs did last time. The donkey stops walking if you GIVE it the carrot.

Its impossible to reason with a bucnh of NDP hardliners. If Jack Layton had a hope in hell of being elected do you think that You’d be voting for anyone other than Cullen?? I dont think so. Nice try though. I hope that Scott gets elected with Harper then Im going to rib you guys big time. And if Cullen gets in and Harper is PM then Im going to rib you anyways. :smile:

I would be, I’ve met both men and there both very educated when it comes to what there talking about.

Way to show your amazing personality. Went from a guy who could bring up a decent debate to ‘ribbing’ some people you probably don’t know on HTMF. Nicely done :unamused: .

Why bother? Everyone see’s it coming, even NDP’ers. The only vote
most liberals will be getting is from apparent ‘strategical voters’ and
there past supporters, but even there past supporters are swinging right-
of-center. Any slightly educated person realizes it, so I don’t see why
you’d bother ‘ribbing’. Plus…how long do you think this government will
last anyhow? I imagine it won’t last long, unless if the Bloc all of a
sudden start rubbing shoulders with the Reformists.

But Michael Moore said it best. Canadians seemed to have thrown there
pride out the window and are going to be finally taught how to roll over.
It’s the exact thing the ambassador has been telling us to do and we
for some reason or another are doing it. How disturbing is that?

[quote]Oh, Canada – you’re not really going to elect a Conservative majority on Monday, are you? That’s a joke, right? I know you have a great sense of humor, and certainly a well-developed sense of irony, but this is no longer funny. Maybe it’s a new form of Canadian irony – reverse irony! OK, now I get it. First, you have the courage to stand against the war in Iraq – and then you elect a prime minister who’s for it. You declare gay people have equal rights – and then you elect a man who says they don’t. You give your native peoples their own autonomy and their own territory – and then you vote for a man who wants to cut aid to these poorest of your citizens. Wow, that is intense! Only Canadians could pull off a hat trick of humor like that. My hat’s off to you.

Far be it from me, as an American, to suggest what you should do. You already have too many Americans telling you what to do. Well, actually, you’ve got just one American who keeps telling you to roll over and fetch and sit. I hope you don’t feel this appeal of mine is too intrusive but I just couldn’t sit by, as your friend, and say nothing. Yes, I agree, the Liberals have some ‘splainin’ to do. And yes, one party in power for more than a decade gets a little… long. But you have a parliamentary system (I’ll bet you didn’t know that – see, that’s why you need Americans telling you things!). There are ways at the polls to have your voices heard other than throwing the baby out with the bath water.

These are no ordinary times, and as you go to the polls on Monday, you do so while a man running the nation to the south of you is hoping you can lend him a hand by picking Stephen Harper because he’s a man who shares his world view. Do you want to help George Bush by turning Canada into his latest conquest? Is that how you want millions of us down here to see you from now on? The next notch in the cowboy belt? C’mon, where’s your Canadian pride? I mean, if you’re going to reduce Canada to a cheap download of Bush & Co., then at least don’t surrender so easily. Can’t you wait until he threatens to bomb Regina? Make him work for it, for Pete’s sake.

But seriously, I know you’re not going to elect a guy who should really be running for governor of Utah. Whew! I knew it! You almost had me there. Very funny. Don’t do that again. God, I love you, you crazy cold wonderful neighbors to my north. Don’t ever change.

Michael Moore [/quote]

I’m not an NDP hardliner. Used to be. Then I got old and went Liberal, because Chretien and Martin are good at not really doing anything. But Nathan was the best candidate last time, this time he’s earned it. The NDP is also a far cry from what it once was.
BUT experience has taight me ANARCHY is best.
The worst thing anyon can do is ‘vote for a winner’ and actually give one of these parties a majority to implement their crazy ideological agendas. The NDP will never win a majority gov’t, but the 2 best gov’ts I ever lived under were Liberal minority w NDP support. That’s speaking as from a working guy, or a students or a do what you want without people telling you NO point of view.
As a business owner, I could handle a Tory minority w NDP. I’ll take the every tax break they offer, but the NDP will ensure my gay friends and relatives won’t get stomped, the natives around me will not get poorer and angrier, and if I fuck up and go bust, I can pay my workers the money they worked for BEFORE the bankers who didn’t earn it at all.

EDIT: vote for who you think best represents YOU. If that’s GREEN or CHP or freaking MARXIST, vote for them. Or they won’t be there next time and we’ll all have to make the ultimate compromise like the Yanks and vote for US or THEM. They don’t even have a 3rd alternative, let alone a 4th, 5th, 6th…

Will the real fingahz please come back? What the heck happened to you? Did Little Johnny get a hold of your password? Too funny.
It’s obvious that, if you remain a contributor to these pages, you will take advantage of every little thing that Cullen does to say “I told you so!” . Fortunately, I don’t expect you to have much opportunity to do that. But if Scott gets in, you can be sure that he will create many chances for his critics to point out his dumb mistakes.

NDP hardliners?? hahaha. How about people who wish their government remains different than the Bush administration?
Harper’s image change is too recent for comfort. Just a few years ago, his views were shared with the extreme right. The shift closer to center has been a good political move for him but is it also rooted in a shift in his philosophy? How about his candidates, did they shift too? Is that Rondo Thomas really representing the Conservative movement for example? Why not get rid of him before? So many questions that haven’t been answered.

[quote]Quote:
And if Cullen gets in and Harper is PM then Im going to rib you anyways.

Why bother? Everyone see’s it coming, even NDP’ers. [/quote]

Hey…I’ve been taking a beating from you guys ( and girls??) for weeks now. I’m having fun with the idea for giving a little bit back. I’ve done just about all of the debating that I really want to so I’ve just been sitting back and reading posts for the most part. And looking forward to getting the election over and done with. In any case, I am sure that whoever gets in will dfo the best that they can to represent our riding.

im voting liberal as steven (the anti christ) Harper will bring canada on a golden spoon to GW Bush welcome to the new 51 state.

:smiling_imp:

Well fingahz, how about posting a Where is this? challenge?

Im to busy right now to answer any questions. Maybe later in the week if no one else has posted