BC NDP trying to poach North Coast LNG investment?

Some very interesting (and highly ridiculous) comments from BC NDP leader John Horgan and NDP MLA from Skeena, Robin Austin in regards to Prince Rupert/Port Edward LNG aspirations and where they think Petronas should locate their terminal instead (ie: its not anywhere that will benefit Prince Rupert/Port Edward NDP supporters).

northcoastreview.blogspot.ca/201 … -some.html

So what exactly was the clandestine “media event” to Prince Rupert? Why even bother coming here?

Exactly…why bother to show up here and tour the proposed LNG sites…only to go to Terrace afterwards and sit down for an interview with their paper and basically stomp all over Prince Rupert/Port Edward LNG aspirations and make wild claims like the BG Group project “is done” when the company itself and other industrial insiders have stated otherwise. If you don’t support North Coast LNG, then please John Horgan, don’t come here pretending to give a shit and offer nothing in the way of support for this area that has CONTINUALLY voted to support your directionless party.

This is the guy that wants to be premier of this province? I hope to God I am not alive to see that ever happen!

Sheesh People, not everything is a conspiracy…

The guy was here as part of an NDP tour of the Northwest, social function for the riding association, hardly a clandestine operation.

northcoastreview.blogspot.ca/201 … party.html

[quote=“bthedog”]

Exactly…why bother to show up here and tour the proposed LNG sites…only to go to Terrace afterwards and sit down for an interview with their paper and basically stomp all over Prince Rupert/Port Edward LNG aspirations and make wild claims like the BG Group project “is done” when the company itself and other industrial insiders have stated otherwise. If you don’t support North Coast LNG, then please John Horgan, don’t come here pretending to give a shit and offer nothing in the way of support for this area that has CONTINUALLY voted to support your directionless party.

This is the guy that wants to be premier of this province? I hope to God I am not alive to see that ever happen![/quote]

So what has MLA Rice’s comments been about her leader’s statement? Has anyone heard?

[quote=“CharlesMHays”]

The guy was here as part of an NDP tour of the Northwest, social function for the riding association, hardly a clandestine operation.

northcoastreview.blogspot.ca/201 … party.html[/quote]

So am I to conclude that he made his feelings know about northcoast LNG to those that attended the “social function for the riding association” in Prince Rupert?

[quote=“uartz1949”]

So am I to conclude that he made his feelings know about northcoast LNG to those that attended the “social function for the riding association” in Prince Rupert?[/quote]

Has anyone been up to the hospital to see how MLA Rice’s condition is after she was shot in the back by John Horgan?

[quote=“uartz1949”]

So am I to conclude that he made his feelings know about northcoast LNG to those that attended the “social function for the riding association” in Prince Rupert?[/quote]

I understand that the local NDP “Spin Factory” has had a major malfunction and may be down for an indeterminate length of time.

AQre you just answering your own questions???

I think you are swell.

Do you want to “get to work” together?

[quote=“TerriblePerson”]AQre you just answering your own questions???

I think you are swell.

Do you want to “get to work” together?[/quote]

If you mean a recall, not at this time. I want to give MLA Rice a chance to show some gumption, and backbone to stand up for the constituents in this riding regarding LNG, and I mean even those that didn’t mark their ballot for her. She may be broken but maybe we can get her to work for all of us.

1 in 20 of proposed international LNG projects will be needed. “The Canadian ones are probably the most vulnerable,” Regan said by phone. There are currently about 6 LNG projects anywhere close to development in BC…

bloomberg.com/news/2014-11-1 … elays.html

Vulnerable Canadians

The export of new supplies to Asia increases the possibility of a glut in global energy markets by early next decade. Once deliveries begin, China would supplant Germany as Russia’s biggest gas market, even as relations have soured with the U.S. and Europe over the Ukraine crisis.

Multibillion-dollar projects led by companies including Royal Dutch Shell Plc, Petroliam Nasional Bhd., Chevron Corp. and Exxon Mobil Corp. (XOM) are among more than 20 proposals for LNG export that Canadian regulators have approved or are considering from the nation’s Pacific and Atlantic Coasts. Most Canadian projects are scheduled to begin after 2020.

“The Canadian ones are probably the most vulnerable,” Regan said by phone.

Among proposed projects in Australia are Woodside Petroleum Ltd. (WPL)’s Browse and Sunrise LNG ventures, with partners including Shell, and Exxon’s Scarborough venture. Expansions of plants including Exxon’s $19 billion project in Papua New Guinea are also being considered.

Those proposed plants would follow seven Australian projects currently under construction for about $185 billion.

[quote=“Astro”]1 in 20 of proposed international LNG projects will be needed. “The Canadian ones are probably the most vulnerable,” Regan said by phone. There are currently about 6 LNG projects anywhere close to development in BC…

bloomberg.com/news/2014-11-1 … elays.html

Vulnerable Canadians

The export of new supplies to Asia increases the possibility of a glut in global energy markets by early next decade. Once deliveries begin, China would supplant Germany as Russia’s biggest gas market, even as relations have soured with the U.S. and Europe over the Ukraine crisis.

Multibillion-dollar projects led by companies including Royal Dutch Shell Plc, Petroliam Nasional Bhd., Chevron Corp. and Exxon Mobil Corp. (XOM) are among more than 20 proposals for LNG export that Canadian regulators have approved or are considering from the nation’s Pacific and Atlantic Coasts. Most Canadian projects are scheduled to begin after 2020.

“The Canadian ones are probably the most vulnerable,” Regan said by phone.

Among proposed projects in Australia are Woodside Petroleum Ltd. (WPL)’s Browse and Sunrise LNG ventures, with partners including Shell, and Exxon’s Scarborough venture. Expansions of plants including Exxon’s $19 billion project in Papua New Guinea are also being considered.

Those proposed plants would follow seven Australian projects currently under construction for about $185 billion.[/quote]

I remember when the Russians and Chinese had an agreement regarding logs and lumber. The language was very similar to your post, that the BC lumber industry didn’t have a chance in that environment, oversupply etc. I believe that today we have a vigorous and growing forest industry fueled by growing demand from China. I believe that BC is considered by the corporate community as a stable/safe environment to do business. When you invest as many billions as these companies are willing to spend, stability is paramount. BC is a safe place to invest period. Now if the BC NDP are going to quit on LNG and throw up their hands in despair because it’s to hard to compete with the rest of the world,what hope for the future do you have to offer voters at election time? Have some faith in this province and its people.

I am not a member of the NDP. You can e-mail Ms. Rice and ask her questions if you wish.

Contact MLA Rice

I beg to differ logging maybe be picking up but its nowhere like it was in the 80’s and 90’s when I logged in the coastal camps on the bc coast.

Well fellow logger, never said todays logging was “like it was in the 80’s and 90’s” I believe I wrote “I believe that today we have a vigorous and growing forest industry” I believe the mill workers in Terrace would agree. To add another point, TransCanada Pipeline was quoted as saying yesterday that they were extremely optimistic about LNG in BC. They are the ones that signed the pipeline agreement with the Nishga Nation. Don’t be like the Negatively Depressing Party.

[quote=“hitest”]I am not a member of the NDP. You can e-mail Ms. Rice and ask her questions if you wish.

Contact MLA Rice[/quote]

Maybe Ms Rice could hold a Town Hall meeting, maybe in conjunction with our new Mayor. LNG could be discussed along with social issues like housing or whatever the questions allow. We could see first hand how our local and provincial representatives interact, how they will cooperate or not with each other. I would rather pay for something like that than the “Media/Fund Raising Events” that reporters don’t or won’t cover. Audience reaction might be interesting. In the past I haven’t been a fan of “Town Meetings” but I could see this format appealing especially under the current climate. Maybe I’m evolving. The answers will have to be tailored to a mixed audience rather than be tailored to who you are or what group you represent.

Someone stated in the past something about a monkey being able to be elected in this riding as it’s such an NDP stronghold. With Horgans recent comments, it’s obvious that the NDP takes this riding for granted. With Rice being an environmentalist and absent so far on this issue, is the suggestion to move LNG development to either Kitimat or the nass valley an attempt to try to promote a pro-environmental movement in her riding? Has her election made her believe that she has a mandate to stifle development? I can’t come up with any other conclusion as to why they would do this to one of their own representatives ridings other than its what she wants. Any other ideas?

I am not her number one fan, but, why don’t you folks ask her directly? Unless you don’t want answers. If she receives a lot of questions from her constituents she may respond.

[quote=“hitest”]

I am not her number one fan, but, why don’t you folks ask her directly? Unless you don’t want answers. If she receives a lot of questions from her constituents she may respond.[/quote]

She may respond? Yes with generic, contrived,vanilla party babble. Do you think she can respond with her own off the cuff remarks? Have you ever seen a MLA or MP give a speech, its all scripted. Thats what got John Horgan in trouble in Terrace, he went off script. She’s kept on a short leash and has to have her answers ok’d by party hacks. What’s wrong with a community meeting? She can have her handlers there if she wants. She could even have questions submitted in advance so they can prepare her answers. They can even stack the audience with party faithful, on the off chance she stumbles like her leader and a glimpse of her real thoughts get exposed, something facebook and twitter don’t afford.

[quote=“uartz1949”]

I am not her number one fan, but, why don’t you folks ask her directly? Unless you don’t want answers. If she receives a lot of questions from her constituents she may respond.

She may respond? Yes with generic, contrived,vanilla party babble. Do you think she can respond with her own off the cuff remarks? Have you ever seen a MLA or MP give a speech, its all scripted. Thats what got John Horgan in trouble in Terrace, he went off script. She’s kept on a short leash and has to have her answers ok’d by party hacks. What’s wrong with a community meeting? She can have her handlers there if she wants. She could even have questions submitted in advance so they can prepare her answers. They can even stack the audience with party faithful, on the off chance she stumbles like her leader and a glimpse of her real thoughts get exposed, something facebook and twitter don’t afford.[/quote]

OK, this again is what I am having trouble with when it comes to concerns about politicians and our expectations.

There are some very legitimate concerns being expressed in this thread. In another thread we have discussed the newspaper’s role in getting information out to the general public. All of that is well worth the discussion.

But if you want an answer to a question, you can’t just complain on a public forum and you certainly can’t suggest that there is no point in asking because you have already assumed the answer. Ask her or Horgan the question.

Or lobby the newspaper to ask the questions. On the NorthernView site there is a story about Horgan’s statements in Terrace, but it was written by a Rod Link who I am assuming works out of Terrace or Kitimat. That’s not good enough. We want a local angle to the story, a local reporter who can ask the tough questions. And if they are not doing that, phone and complain.

This forum is great for the information it provides and the opinions that are expressed. But it is limited. If we really need an answer from someone, we may have to ask it directly.