BC Liberals offer to cut HST rate

The B.C. government is promising to cut the harmonized sales tax rate by two percentage points over the next three years, and issue $175 rebate cheques for each child and lower-income senior this year.

bclocalnews.com/bc_north/the … 02023.html

How nice of them…

If it’s written in stone - this is actually a great compromise. This helps people hit the hardest. As long as they’re prohibited from amending to the contrary. But as we all know, they can do that anytime they like. They’re focus seems to be on extraordinary promises while “getting them through the referendum” to their wanted outcome. Which should allow them to do whatever they like after the referendum votes are cast.

I think the Dix got it right. ha

[quote=“MeepMeepZoom”]

I think the Dix got it right. ha[/quote]

Agreed.

So they promised not to bring in the HST and they did, now they’re promising to cut the HST?

Why should we believe that promise, if their track record on the HST has been to blatantly lie about it?

hey look a slightly smaller turd…

but you gotta sit around with the big turd for the next 3 years.

Cut the HST and raise corporate rates. Christy the Commie has written the Liberal’s obituary.

[quote=“MiG”]

Why should we believe that promise, if their track record on the HST has been to blatantly lie about it?[/quote]

Exactly. Clark will say anything to win the election.

During the teleconference “Town Hall” about the HST the official that was answering questions quite proudly [or at least defiantly] noted that more than likely if British Columbians defeat the HST there will likely be amendments to the PST when reintroduced. The amendments would almost mirror the taxable items that HST applies to and that '…The government needs to create this revenue stream otherwise services, programs …will be cut."

Before I vote, I just want to make sure I have this straight.

This is the government that said they would not sell BC Rail. And when they did sell it, there were some mysterious dealings that went to court, but just before the bigwigs were to testify, the accused pleaded guilty and were given house arrest and $6M to pay for their lawyers.

This is the government that said they would not rip up contracts and then went ahead and did so. And this is the government who were told by the courts that ripping up the contracts of teachers was illegal and against the Charter of Rights.

This is the government that said that the HST was not on their radar prior to the election but brought it in shortly after. Either they were lying or didn’t put a whole lot of thought into the tax.

This is the government that lied about the extent of the deficit during the election and then brought in the HST with the $1.6B from the federal government as a means of paying off the deficit they lied about.

This is the government that said that the HST - which moves about $2B a year from corporations to consumers - would be revenue neutral when in fact they have pulled in far more than they did before at consumer expense.

This is the government that said that they wanted the public to be informed but whose stick man ads are now blatantly pro-HST.

And this is the government whose new leader keeps telling us that she is different when in fact she is just more of the same.

Now how should I vote?

From the Tyee. In a March 21, 2011 interview on CKYE radio with Harjinder Thind, Christy Clark said,

"We aren’t going to be talking about trying to reduce it by a point or two before the referendum. I mean, I think people will see that as buying them with their own money.

Yes Christy, it does look a lot like trying to buy votes.