Apache webserver

Hi Im looking at hosting a second site on my Apache webserver it uses One IP, "Virtual Multiple Websites"
Im not sure were to go in the config File to do it. Im looking at the best way to do it any help would be much Appreciated. thanks

What os ?

freebsddiary.org/topics.php#apache

Lots of strait forward articles that will probably help. Don’t worry about the fact it’s FreeBSD site.

win xp is the operating system
sorry about that

Being that you’re just editing the conf, which os shouldn’t be an issue. The only real difference is the location of the file.

so is that the only file I need to config "httpd.conf"
my set up is like this Drive Letter:/www/webroot/index.html and for apache drive letter:/www/Apache2/

Sorry guys new to this part of Apache thanks for the input so far

Dave

[quote=“Astrothug”]so is that the only file I need to config "httpd.conf"
my set up is like this Drive Letter:/www/webroot/index.html and for apache drive letter:/www/Apache2/

Sorry guys new to this part of Apache thanks for the input so far

Dave[/quote]

Yes the only file you need to edit is httpd.conf. I am not familiar with the windows build of apache so I dont know what diffs there are.

The basic config stuff I use under Unix for httpd.conf:

NameVirtualHost

Then for each host name I use:

#<VirtualHost *:80>

ServerAdmin webmaster@dummy-host.example.com

DocumentRoot /www/docs/dummy-host.example.com

ServerName dummy-host.example.com

ErrorLog logs/dummy-host.example.com-error_log

CustomLog logs/dummy-host.example.com-access_log common

#

This may be already in the httpd.conf file and you’ll just have to modify it to your own needs.

I’m Just wondering why you would rather run windows running apache and not a easy to config linux like mandrake / fedora ? WHat kind of content are you putting on this page. ?

maybe he doesnt know *nix? Maybe its his only machine…who knows. Go with what you got…

Hell my little server is only a …umm a Cyrix 166 with 96 megs. Runs FreeBSD though…lol.

I ran screenlooking.com on a WinXP 800MHz Athlon for over a year and I only needed to reboot it for critical updates and new drivers… Now that screenlooking.com and topgungamers.com run on Debian, I always need to ask people how to do stuff… *nix is confusing for us Windows guys.

[quote=“VMS”]

maybe he doesnt know *nix? Maybe its his only machine…who knows. Go with what you got…

Hell my little server is only a …umm a Cyrix 166 with 96 megs. Runs FreeBSD though…lol.[/quote]

Want a pII400 ? message me ?

hi guys… erg played with it but gave up… i need some one to show me once… I’ll supply the beer…lol…

Paste this in your config… put the proper drive in of course and the proper domain restart the service and it should work for you.

NameVirtualHost *
<VirtualHost *:80>
DocumentRoot Drive:/www/webroot/
ServerName whateverdomain.com

DocumentRoot Drive:/www/Apache2/
ServerName otherwhateverdomain.com

thank u …

now does this go at the end or in the begining or does it matter ?

[quote=“Astrothug”]thank u …

now does this go at the end or in the begining or does it matter ?[/quote]

I dont believe it matters but Generally the virtual hosts go at the end… you also may want to look and see if there is already a namevirtualhosts tag in the config if so just edit it and if there is a # in front of it remove that.

there going to the same dir

DocumentRoot c:/www/webroot/
ServerName ghostintheshell.ca

DocumentRoot c:/www/webroot/Shane_Scodane/
ServerName davidwatson.no-ip.com

Weird that that doesnt work, here is a working example of some vhosts for my website, mind you this is a debian box.

NameVirtualHost *

VirtualHost example:

Almost any Apache directive may go into a VirtualHost container.

<VirtualHost *>
DocumentRoot /var/www/
ServerName j-enterprises.net

DocumentRoot /var/www/stuff.php
ServerName webmail.j-enterprises.net

edit:did you restart the apache service? if you did try removing the drive letter and just using a / not sure how to do this on windows :wink:

ok
still a no go but now when i go

www.ghostintheshell.ca/shane_scodane i get a Forbidden
You don’t have permission to access /Shane_Scodane/ on this server.

Apache/2.0.52 (Win32) PHP/4.3.10 mod_perl/1.99_18 Perl/v5.8.6 Server at www.ghostintheshell.ca Port 80

so now its getting the no-ip to go to that folder instead of my root folder…

[quote=“Astrothug”]ok
still a no go but now when i go

www.ghostintheshell.ca/shane_scodane i get a Forbidden
You don’t have permission to access /Shane_Scodane/ on this server.

Apache/2.0.52 (Win32) PHP/4.3.10 mod_perl/1.99_18 Perl/v5.8.6 Server at www.ghostintheshell.ca Port 80

so now its getting the no-ip to go to that folder instead of my root folder…[/quote]

Well i guess it needs the drive letter… I will look into this. wow that sounded like a response id giv at work haha, someone offer me a non Support tech job please… :cry:

According to this document the paths to the directories are supposed to use \ instead of the / I told you to use :wink:

so your configuration should look like this:
NameVirtualHost *
DocumentRoot c:\www\webroot
ServerName ghostintheshell.ca

DocumentRoot c:\www\webroot\Shane_Scodane
ServerName davidwatson.no-ip.com

Give that a try.