Animal control

A commonly expressed sentiment that is absolutely untrue.

Pit bulls and Rottweilers are two breeds which are easily physically capable of killing and maiming people.  Combine that with their natural aggressiveness.  No matter how good the dog owner, these animals are not safe around people.  And unfortunately, the most common scenario is the dog attacks children of the dog owner.  Do a google search of “pit bull attack” or “Rottweiler attack” if you don’t believe me.

Any breed can bite however Pit Bulls and Rottweilers are responsible for over 95% of all fatal dog attacks.  The sort of person who owns this type of dog wants to show off their big tough aggressive dog and intimidate people.  Not the most intelligent sort of person nor one with much of a conscience.

What they did in Ontario saved several people from serious mauling and likely saved one or two children’s lives.

Here are a few links.

chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/4939299.html

ajc.com/wireless/content/met … tbull.html

canada.com/nationalpost/news … 12&k=88584

I will admit, although an over the hills animal lover, I am intimidated by Pit Bulls and I have absolutely no reason except for their reputaton as being aggressive. I have a friend in Ontario with two Pitts, beautiful dogs, friendly and loving but they have been trained and are treated with love. As for Rotties, love the breed…Gorgeous dogs…I think obviously the care and training of the animals by their owners is 95% of the outcome. My stepdaughter was badly mauled by her grandmothers Shitsui and before you all laugh out there, it tore into her ankle and would not release her. She was 7 years old and had not provoked the dog. He tore the tendon in her foot and she was hospitalized for almost a week. We later found out the dog had been abused by its former owners and even after intense obedience training, he could not be trusted and unfortunately was destroyed.We can’t generalize about any one breed based on the size or the strength of the animal, we have to hold the owners accountable.

i no longer take my puppy to the water front due to the pit bulls the came at her and attacked her and i had my 3 yr old nice with me people should seriously keep there dog on the leash

It’s amazing how much difference a proper fence or having your damn dog on a leash can make…was out walking a while ago with my family and our two leashed Greyhounds were walking along quietly when a Cocker Spaniel in a yard we’d just walked past came flying out and did it’s damned best to grab my big male Grey by the back leg. It took several good lunges at him before my husband gave up trying to kick the smaller dog away and let the dog grab the Cocker-considering that our big Grey was about four times the smaller dog’s size it was still kind of a shock to see him pick it up by the scruff and give it a good hard shake before the Cocker ran back home screaming.

All this time the other dog’s owner was very ineffectually shrieking at her dog to get back to the yard.  :unamused:

I talked to a fellow Grey owner who tells me she’s had smaller dogs do tendon damage to her Greys when they can do this kind of sneak attack.  I’ve had to warn off idiots before who had unleashed dogs around mine that my dogs don’t want anything to do with their pets and no, I’m not paying for their vet bills if the dogs try and take mine on and get damaged. A fine for having a dog at large might be peanuts compared to trying to put your little shit of yapper back together!!!  :angry:

Yeah little dogs can be nasty as well. I remember a few years back I was walking my lab by the courthouse and this little tiny thing came running out of nowhere full tilt at us. We were like 50 yards away and this little dog was heading towards us like a missile. I just tightened on my dogs leash and hauled off and kicked the little dog when he was close enough. He went flying through the air and I went on with my walk. Even to this day I look at people walking their dogs off leash and get a little angry about it. At least I got my satisfaction that one day though.

No doubt! I had this little dog, I don’t know what kind mutt probably, but this thing come running at me, yapping away, I tried to ignore it and keep walking but this thing grabs the back of my pants and starts to shake its head. It was funny cause when I turned around it runs, so I walk some more and it runs at me again, this time I turn around and punt it a few yards. What really gets me is now the owner shows up and starts in on me like I am to blame. It is the owners that need to take responsibility for the pets they keep.